Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
Registered Users
Having trouble with prefolds! help!

I have read and seen so many pages of instructions, but I'm having so much trouble putting on the prefold! It's as though it's not wide enough and too long for my baby! I must be doing something wrong, she's just over 9 and a half pounds and infant size is supposed to be up to 15 pounds...

I actually have a bit of trouble with normal diapers too... Maybe it's just the way she positions her legs and fights against me to move them? I donno...

Any tips? I'd like to start using cloth only, but I honestly have only used it for about 5 diaper changes since she was born. (another reason for that is that she'd never fit into her newborn stuff with a huge diaper, she can hardly fit into her 0-3 mos stuff with the cloth diaps...)

Thanks for the help!

Candice, mommy to Nora (born May 8, 2007), pregnant with baby #2 (due Oct 29, 2011)!
candicesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Having trouble with prefolds! help!

I did the angel wrap with my pfs for ds. I'd lay him on the prefold with the back to his waist and centred width-wise. With one hand I would hold his legs up and with the other hand I'd fold the center of the diaper in thirds and bring the front up and over. The corners should be spread out so you can bring them up around the sides. Then I'd just snappy the four corners together. I think in the beginning they were too long as well so I folded the front down an inch or so. If the baby isn't to wiggly you can put the cover (I used BSWW) underneath the pf and bring the cover up with the pf front and just wrap without the snappy. You do have to use the width of your hand to hold the sides together while you either snappy or wrap.
Mamalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: korourke

Try and stick with it Mama - trying the different folds, etc., to see what works best for you. There is a learning curve! I've never liked the extra bulk in the front so I fold the back of the PF down a bit before sliding it under DS to get the right length.

As for clothes, sizing up does help
Inspired by Finn . . . Be Inspired . . . Natural and organic infant, toddler, and youth items.
inspiredbyfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
Registered Users

I always had to size up as well for clothing at that age. When DD was that young her infant PFs were almost too small as well - the bikini twist helps take up some of the bulk from the front and back, but if you still have extra you can fold a little down in the front or back. I had to figure out something too when she was that young and thought I'd never get the hang of it. As long as it was collecting the pee I tried not to care too much, but when it comes to poop it's nice to have a fold that holds it in. Right now I fold the diaper in thirds with the padded part in the middle. Then I put DD on it so that the back goes to where he belly button would be if it were on her back. After that I pull out the sides in the back just enough so that the sides cup her butt. In the front I then pull out the sides again and fold down in the front. Then I take the back wings and fold them over the front wings and snappy. I wish I could show you pics, but I don't currently have a camera. This fold seems to cut down on bulk and make the PF fit her for longer. Good luck!
jonsbeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

This is the same thing I did! I had so many sposies calling my name and I just didn't have the resources to try different diapers. I can't find the site for the life of me, I'll go look a little better and post it ASAP but there is a sampler pack you can buy and it's a $100 deposit and then if none of those work or some do and some don't or whatever, you can figure it out for relatively cheap and fairly quickly. You could probably go through the diapers in a day or 2 and figure out which ones work best and buy some of those.
I started with Kushies AIOs, gave up, then moved to FuzziBunz, both are easy as pie BUT not for all babies! I would give some other system a try. You could have your PFs made into prefitteds, sell them for fitteds and use your same covers. Or you can always get 1 or 2 pockets or AIOs to try? Good luck and keep it up! It's gonna get easier!

ETA: Here is it!!! You pay a $100 deposit, if you don't like em send them back in 21 days and you get all but a $10 fee back from your deposit. You can also just buy what you like and send back what you don't like. It's a great idea for newbies!!
Kristi, Mommy to Josh & Nick (identical twins 6-97) Nathen (3-02), Joey (2-04), Jacob (11-05) & Aaron (12-11) I sell Tupperware!
"A person's a person, no matter how small..." Dr Seuss

Last edited by TwinKristi; 05-26-2007 at 07:40 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

Maybe go up a size in pf's. It may be a lot easier for you. It does take a little time to get the hang of putting on pf's, but don't give up or get discouraged Mama. You be a Pro in no time at all promise When I first started cd'ing I didn't like pf's at all. I used fuzzi bunz for the first year. Now all I use ( well most of the time) is pf's I Love, Love , Love Prefolds
SAHM/WAHM to= Jessica 20 yrs, Matt 5 yrs, Joey 4 yrs, Maddie 2 Yrs. And my 2 angels in heaven.
fsufan is offline   Reply With Quote