Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Second baby - Low Supply with First UPDATE

I'm finally expecting baby #2 and am thinking about my breastfeeding plan this time around.

With my first, bfing was an unmitigated disaster! My supply levelled off around 6 oz per day and with round the clock pumping, 160mg of domperidone a day and supplementing only with a lactation aid, I maxed out at 12-14oz a day and gave up in frustration at 7 months.

I asked this question a couple years ago, but thought I'd ask again now that I'm actually preggo. Has anyone had low supply with their first and had better luck with their second?

UPDATE: So, apparently I am now expecting babies 2 and 3. Has anyone had luck breastfeeding twins after previous low supply?

Advertisement

Last edited by Layney82; 10-22-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Just wondering if you found any reason for low supply. Bad latch? Did you have your thyroid levels checked? You probably would have mentioned it but just wanted to make sure first
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Re: Second baby - Low Supply with First

I have PCOS with insulin resistance, which is often associated with low supply. Additionally, I had no breast changes during pregnancy, and never experienced engorgement or leaking of any kind.

We had none of the typical problems in that DS's latch was perfect, I didn't have pain after the first few days, my thyroid was fine, and we never went longer than 2 hours between feedings. I went to see Jack Newman every week for the first couple months and his best guess was Insufficient Glandular Tissue, which is also common with PCOS.

I actually responded better to the pump than to DS and would get 3-4 distinct let downs. Unfortunately, each only lasted for 30-60 seconds and there would be 10 minutes in between letdowns. DS lost patience after a few minutes with no milk.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82 View Post
I'm finally expecting baby #2 and am thinking about my breastfeeding plan this time around.

With my first, bfing was an unmitigated disaster! My supply levelled off around 6 oz per day and with round the clock pumping, 160mg of domperidone a day and supplementing only with a lactation aid, I maxed out at 12-14oz a day and gave up in frustration at 7 months.

I asked this question a couple years ago, but thought I'd ask again now that I'm actually preggo. Has anyone had low supply with their first and had better luck with their second?
to your last question...yes I has bad spooky issues and no support... second baby was a champion nurser... there is hope.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Yes. I dried up at 4 months with DS1 and BF with great results with #2 with Metformin. I have PCOS as well and have to be on Met to BF and stay PG.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

I'm on metformin now, and am planning on staying on it through the pregnancy and after. I hope that makes a difference. I've also heard that progesterone taken during pregnancy helps with growing breast tissue...I'm going to talk to the doctor about it at my next appointment.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I took progesterone during my pregnancy with #2 as well till 16 weeks. The Metformin really did help. I did need to take Reglan after about 6 months due to getting pregnant while nursing.

With number 3 I did not need Reglan till 8 months PP. But with #4 I had low supply due to latching issues and had to go on it right away. It is common to have issues breastfeeding with PCOS. They can be treated though.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

I've heard that there's nothing to be done about IGT though, which scares me. If the problem is that I don't have enough milk producing tissue, then I don't know how to overcome that.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Hopefully it is not that. Most likely it is the PCOS.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82 View Post

I have read that the longer you nurse (lactate) each time, the more you will lactate the next. I can speak from experience that I have more trouble with engorgement each time and was more easily able to pump with three and four than i was with number 2

and congrats!!!!