Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need advice from moms that BF and workout or do something equally as sweaty.. When you come home drenched in a sweaty bra, do you feed babe right away or shower first? Wash off just your breasts to nurse, then shower later?

I had such a hard time getting back into working out with my son because he only ever went 2 hours between nursing sessions.. Hard to nurse, get to the gym or hit the pavement, get home and shower and ready to feed again in less than 2 hours. I just hated the thought of sitting around nursing him after I just had a major sweat session and hadn't showered yet.

With this baby, I want to get back into running ASAP, but she nurses even more frequently than her brother did, so it's even less time for me to workout and shower (like max 1 hour between nursings, but usually only 45 minutes). I'm just not sure the "gross factor" of stripping off a sweaty bra as soon as I walk in the door and nursing her. Sure, I could do a short 20 minute workout and have time to shower before nursing, but I'd rather a longer session. And I'm hopeful that as she gets older she'll go longer between nursing, but I need a solution for the now.

Please help me not be the gross mom and not get my daughter sick along the way!

Advertisement

Last edited by WannaBeGreen2011; 10-05-2013 at 07:23 PM.
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Why would that get her sick? You could just do a quick change with a damp washcloth wipe down then shower after nursing...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
She will be fine on a sweaty boob. I just don't like baby smelling like the sweat afterwards. And I don't like sitting on furniture when I'm sweaty. But those are my issues, not yours.

Good luck! DS is going on 6 months and eats about every hour during the day. Including in the middle of a long nap.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
She will be fine on a sweaty boob. I just don't like baby smelling like the sweat afterwards. And I don't like sitting on furniture when I'm sweaty. But those are my issues, not yours.

Good luck! DS is going on 6 months and eats about every hour during the day. Including in the middle of a long nap.
Ha! Those are my issues too! But I figured I could wrap her in a blanket and nurse her sitting on the floor, then toss the blanket in to wash and she won't be icky.
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: BF'ing after sweating

My DS wouldn't nurse when I was very sweaty after a workout--he didn't like the way I smelled, I guess. I didn't particularly like the way I smelled, either! I just showered quickly and then nursed him. I would offer before showering, but he wasn't interested. He wasn't generally upset or crying to nurse at that point, either, so it wasn't terribly urgent that I nurse him right that minute.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm training for a half marathon and have a pretty needy nurser so I often have to stop to feed him. I will wipe off with a cloth wipe ( use soap bits in my solution so cleans a little bit and smells better). He has never refused to nurse. I'm usually outside so on a bench or if I'm in the house I'll just sit on the floor.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Vegan Princess
Registered Users
seller

I too run. My nursling is eager to nurse as soon as she sees mama walk in the door, even if I nursed her right before I left. I always insist on stretching and drinking a glass of water (my husband jokes that the baby will get powdered milk if I don't drink water) first. I prefer to wait until the sweat stops pouring off of me and change into something dry. But I don't even always do that. I bought sports bras that have velcro open straps that make it super easy to nurse in - so I can easily nurse right when I get back or if I need to while I am running with baby in the jogging stroller. Miraculously, I've yet to have to stop and nurse. Anyway, she may get all covered in sweat, but she sure could care less if I'm all sweaty.

I hate sitting on the furniture all sweaty too. I sit on the living room floor and nurse when I'm still sweaty.

Cindy
Old 10-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Neitherof my kids had a problem with nursing right after I went for a run - and I'm a pretty sweaty person.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I don't get time to work out sine I do everything but in the summer it gets really hot and sweaty here and when you are out nad baout you can't go try to find a place to s[it bath so i just nurse how I am.