Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Kaylazo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nipple Shield

I knew this can be sensitive for some. But for those of you who have used a nipple shield, how long did you use it for and how did you wean your LO off of using it? TIA.

Advertisement

Kaylazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
pester
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylazo
I knew this can be sensitive for some. But for those of you who have used a nipple shield, how long did you use it for and how did you wean your LO off of using it? TIA.
I used one for my 32 weeker. It helped her get "enough" in her mouth to allow her to latch. We weaned off it about the time we came home around her due date. I just stopped using it and she was big enough and just didn't need it anymore. So we only used it for a few weeks.
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nipple Shield

I used one for my full term babe - I had a hard time getting him to suck- he would latch but not suck; anyways- I put a little bit of formula or expressed milk in the sheild and then he would start sucking. He could nurse w/o but refused- whenever I took it off he would nurse for a few minutes and realize it wasn't there and refuse to nurse any longer until I replaced it...oh well- at least i was able to nurse. We used it until I stopped nursing at 9 months.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used one for DS. I had flat/inverted nipples and big boobs and he just couldn't get the darn things in his mouth. He used it for about 6 weeks and then I just started slowly offering it without the shield first. Eventually he caught on and we are nursing strong at 20 months. (I definitely don't have flat nipples anymore ). I remember occasionally stressing about it never coming off but honestly don't worry about it. Eventually baby's mouth will grow and nursing skills will improve and they will be done with it.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I used one with DD. She wouldn't latch in the hospital, so they gave me one. In hindsight we probably just needed more practice. I used it prob until she was 3-4 months old (...?...). At that point I was sleeping enough to be able to make the effort to wean her off of it. I'd let her nurse with it until the milk started to flow, then would unlatch her, pull off the shield, then latch without it. I know it did take time, but I'm happy to report she went on to nurse shield free to 18 months! If you're working through it now, good luck!

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
littlegmama
Registered Users
seller

I used one with my daughter because I was having issues with getting her to latch on top of very sore nipples (and a blood blister). We used it for a little while, maybe a month or so, and I just started trying sometimes to get her to latch without it. It didn't take long to get her used to nursing without and by then she was a pretty good nurser so we didn't have any more trouble.
littlegmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

I don't know that I would've had a successful nursing relationship with any of my kids without a shield!! That thing was a lifesaver!! With all 3 of them, I think we were able to wean from the shield around 2 or 3 months. I think what worked was to start out nursing with the shield on, then take it off. Before long they were able to do it!

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Erinne
Registered Users

I used one for a few weeks when dd was a month or so old. She had a bad latch and I let it go long enough to really damage my nipples, and the shield helped with the pain enough that I was able to keep nursing. Without it, I really think I would have quit. I did force myself to do once a day without it through the whole time so the transition off wouldn't be as bad, and I guess that worked because she gave it up easily. Might have helped that she was used to nursing without it before, too.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
Alesmom
Registered Users
seller

I actually used mine about two months into nursing DS. My nipples were so sore and raw that I needed to try something. We used it for about two weeks or so. He didn't seem to care either way, didn't seem to notice a difference in fact...
Alesmom is offline   Reply With Quote