Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just wanna cry

A little bit of history..DD was born, and nursed like a champ. My milk came in on day 3 and I was pumping out 5-6oz every 2 hours after each nursing session. At 3 weeks old I got a horrible cold and my supply dropped to 3 oz after each session. Every time I got my supply to stablilize (it never went back up past 3oz) I would catch a cold or AF would come. DD went on a nursing strike and would NOT take the breast for anything..that lasted 3 months. At 6 months old (she's 8 months now) she just decided she wanted to nurse, finally! Too bad my milk supply took a crap and I only make about an ounce to an ounce and a half per day. I did the pumping every two hours for 35 mins each,took fenugreek,blessed thistle,water,oatmeal and nursed her on demand (which is every 4-6 hours) and still couldn't get it up. Then I started the domperidone...again, slight increase but nothing over 2oz per day. I should mention that even with nursing she would chase it with 8oz of formula so Im not even making enough for her. Fast forward to last week..

about a week and a half ago DD broke her first tooth..along with that came the runs and the runny nose from heck. She could barely breath let alone breath and eat at the same time..and she stopped nursing. I kept offering, she would refuse. Today her nose is clear, so again I offer and again she refuses

I wanna do 2 things...relactate and NURSE my baby. I can't feasably attach myself to a pump all day long, I have 4 kids and a business to run, a house to maintain and life. Im not ready to give up though and I refuse to!

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
mama_2_two
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just wanna cry

I don't really have any advice for you--all three of my kids nursed like champs and didn't want to give it up! I just wanted to say that my heart hurts for you...I know how important breastfeeding is for a mom (and her baby) and I can't imagine having so many problems. You seem committed to keeping it up and for that I commend you.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
chrisandjames
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One thing that I had problems with when my milk supply wasn't adequate with Christopher was my thyroid. Post partum sometimes your thyroid can have major swings until it is stable again and that can really impact your milk supply. Have you ever had it checked?

My biggest problem hit at about 8 months with Christopher, and once I started the medicine for the thyroid things got better quickly. Good luck mama!!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't had it checked and at this point I can't as I'll have no insurance in a week. I had issues with my other 3 children as well, I never made it past 3 weeks with them.

ETA: I got her to nurse just after I posted that..she was overly tired and it was nap time.

Last edited by MrsTorres; 05-26-2007 at 04:21 PM.
MrsTorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
KMsmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My heart goes out to you. Have you considered using a Lact-Aid supplemental nursing system? I had quite a time too....did the herbs, marathon round the clock pumping after nursing and domperidone. The Lact-Aid allowed me to nurse my dd, it provided her with all the nutrition she needed at the breast and provided me with the contact simulation to produce as much milk as I was capable of. If you aren't familiar with it it is a pouch filled with formula that hangs around your neck with a tube coming from it that goes down to your nipple and when the baby latches the tube goes in the mouth right along with the nipple. I liked the Lact-Aid better than the Medela SNS since the Lact-Aid allowed us to nurse lying down and it was more discrete for nursing in public. I didn't give up either, I just couldn't and the LA saved our nursing relationship. Hang in there if this is something you really want. Take care.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a SNS, and we used it when she was on strike before. It didn't help me make more but I think it did help her get back to the breast. Although, my tubing snapped on my last time I used it and I haven't gotten new tubing for it yet.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just want to second the thyroid issue- I have a friend who had the same problem. Had she known earlier, she would have been able to continue bf'ing her son past 4 months.
Good luck!
Old 05-27-2007, 12:37 AM   #8
yogamama13
Registered Users

A couple of quick suggestions that might help
Some moms have found a pumping routine of 1 hour to help each day. You do not need to pump more than this 1 hour if you don't want to or don't have time. In that hour you do 12 mins on 12 mins off and repeat until the hour is up. Do this for a couple of days and see if there are any results.
It sounds like your baby has nipple confusion. Here are a few options
Try just using a newborn nipple. It is harder to get the milk out of and takes a similar(though still not as much) force to get the milk out of).
Your baby should be able to take milk from something other than a bottle. There are lots of options but an open cup might be easiest and the most practicle.
Lastly when babes are on nursing strikes or refusing the breast there are a couple of really great tricks to get them to take the breast again. It sounds like you are right on track trying when your baby is tired. You may also want to try a few other things like nursing while standing, in the tub, lying down, etc.
Stress and exhaustion can also really effect supply and if you have four kids there is likely little way you can be well rested. It sounds like you are giving this your everything. Good for you to seek as many avenues of information and support as you can. I hope you find something that works well for you.
Sarah
yogamama13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:43 AM   #9
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Sarah. We already use newborn nipples..so got it there. She doesn't have nipple confusion..she refuses when there is no flow for her. We did determine that. Life has been extremely stresseful since her birth so Im sure that's contributing to it greatly. She will not drink from a cup, at least not a sippy cup..she thinks it's the toy that you throw so mommy will pick it up. She does know that you drink from it though..she just doesn't suck on it. Im happy to say that she is getting at least half her feedings with breastmilk. I recieved donor milk a couple weeks ago, but that will only last about a month before it runs out. I will try the hour sessions, that would be called power pumping, yes?
Old 05-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
phantomripples
Banned

don't really know how to help but -- my heart goes out to you.
phantomripples is offline   Reply With Quote