Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Just get the epi?

So, I've had 2 med free childbirths and I'm not even pregnant, but had anyone just had it with the whole birth experience thing? I know that if I ever have another I'll be all obsessed with what I expose him to, but part of me just wants to get an epidural next time.

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #2
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Since you've already had the natural experience you might want to get it just to see the difference. You might hate it, you might love it. You won't ever know unless you try it.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:59 AM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just get the epi?

I found it got easier and I didn't have back labor the more kids I had. 3 kids
Old 10-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
Southern mama to Boogie
Registered Users
seller

I kind of got the best of both worlds. I had an epidural, but the way DS came down he progressively blocked it more & more. When I started pushing, the doc had to put my legs in the stirrups for me- by the time it was all said & done, I was able to take them out on my own.

I got the relief from the epidural through all the contractions ( I was induced bc of pre-e and had a longish labor of about 22 hours). Once he moved down I could feel enough to be in a good amount of pain and feel when I needed to push, and by the time he came out I felt EVERYTHING. They had to give lidocaine shots to numb me up so that they could stitch up what tore.

That said, I will probably get an epidural with my second child if I ever have one. This mama doesn't handle pain well.
Southern mama to Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller

I've had two epidurals (my first two births) and 2 natural births, and in my experience an epidural doesn't get you out of the whole birth thing. The first epi didn't take that well, and I had been on my back so long, I was actually super uncomfortable and miserable. My second took well and I had no pain, but I also had to be on oxygen and was completely confused and disoriented while I was having my baby and the epidural put her in distress.

While a natural birth is certainly more physically intense, I don't necessarily think it is easier. I was far more stressed in the hospital than out of it. I've only had natural births in free standing birth centers though, so I'm not sure what a natural birth in the hospital would be like.

Of course, to each her own. Many women get and love epidurals. But I don't trust them anymore.

http://heathenhomesteader.com/
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Yes, I'm over natural childbirth. Of course, I don't have a choice because my labors are fast. I did talk to my midwife about a pudental block for my upcoming birth, but no one really does them anymore:-(
miriamleigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think it's just crazy that laughing gas isn't a viable option in the US , the risks are way less and you kind of get the best of both worlds. I am too much about control to stand the thought of being immobile but if that doesn't bother you then go for it.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm go back and forth on the issue too. I had a med free deliveries (with the exception of pitocin and nubain with my first) for all of my three kids. I wanted an epidural with my 3rd but showed up at the hospital at 8 cm and it was too late (in retrospect I was in transition which is when I beg for anything and everything with all my labors).

I had good experiences with all three; great midwives, relatively easy labor and deliveries, and great recoveries. Still it hurt, and I haven't forgotten how agonizingly bad it hurt. I hear stories of people who were calm and talking and pushing their babies out in peace without pain and it sounds delightful! But then I hear how recovery was so much easier without the epidural (from people who have had both kinds of deliveries) and that recovery is so much better without the epi along with some of the potential side effects (I had a friend who had a spinal migraine for a week). I guess you don't have that natural high right after birth either. I do remember immediately after my babies were born I felt on top of the world and like I could do anything.

I also think I'd feel bad if I did end up having the epi and the baby was sleepy and nursing was rough (I already had two out of three rough starts to nursing and want to avoid contributing to that at all costs) even if it wasn't related I'd wonder if it was the epi and feel bad that I had it for one but not the others.

I totally vacillate between wanting an epidural just so it doesn't hurt and I can experience what that is like and not having one and delivering at a local birthing center so I can have a water birth and go home right away.

In the end my dh thinks its better to do without an epidural if possible so I think we'll go that route. I'm not pregnant either but obviously I've put quite a bit of thought into it too!
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's up to you. It's defiantly a different experience.
My first 2 labors were with an Epidural. I had no pain meds for an hour with them before I gave in and got it. The rest was pain free. No issues. Pushing was still easy. #1 took 20min to push out, #2 took about 2-3min. My Midwife though still makes me wait to push until I feel the urge, not when I'm 10cm. I've always felt the urge to push even with the epi. It felt like a watermelon sliding out of my butt! I knew it was time to push! I just didn't have the pain with it.

My last 2 were no epi's. Not really by choice. I went to fast, and they tried to get one in, but by the time they started, I was pushing.

Mentally I like the epidural births much more. I felt in control, I was aware of my surroundings, I wasn't being mean to everyone, I enjoyed my birth. I could still feel the pressure of my contractions and I could still move my legs/toes. I asked for a low dose epi.
With my natural, I was out of control. I completely mentally checked out. I don't handle pain well, and have horrible anxiety (I take meds when not pg or bf'ing) and I just felt like I was going nuts and the pain was never going to stop. But, those labors were extremely fast and the pain went from 0-10 within 2-3 contractions!

I'm pg with #5 and I have the option to have the epidural before I even start labor. Because of my fast labors without much warning, I have an option to get induced and get the epi before they break my water.

However, I also some new medical issues that might lead me to only have the option to early induction.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Isn't it weird how some of is think about this when we're not even pregnant? My last labor I was out of control and it's a horrible feeling! With my first two I had time to get in the zone but with Henry I went from talking to the admitting nurse to absolutely out of control hard labor in the space of a few minutes. I left my house for the hospital at 7 (it takes 35-40 mins to get there) and he was born at 829. It was really horrible. I did get the birth high though and recovery was easy! I just don't want to repeat that out of control feeling ever again.