Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #21
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just get the epi?

Some hospitals have gas. My sister delivered at UCSF and she had gas!

Advertisement

trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #22
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying4more View Post
Some hospitals have gas. My sister delivered at UCSF and she had gas!
I was researching it and san Francisco is one of the only (possibly only) place that has gas. Gas is such a great option too because it is viable for birth centers and home births.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #23
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

For me, I'm not really into natural birth for the "experience" because, quite honestly, birth sucks for me. I am crying, screaming, whining, in pain, miserable for a lot of it. But I have a hard time with the idea of getting an epi because of the increased chances of other problems during recovery and birth (things like being numb during pushing and associated risks, getting a catheter and associated risks, getting a spinal headache, blood pressure dropping, being confined to bed and associated risks, etc) . I know this risks are small, but overall it seems like there are a lot of small risks that add up to stuff that I don't want to have to worry about. So for me, not having the epi is about minimizing the chance that it could cause other problems, not about the birth experience.

So if you're just avoiding the epi for the birth experience, and your birth experience is sucky without the epi, then I'd personally go ahead and get one. But you don't have to make the decision now in any case.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #24
SewGreenBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: Naturally Pampered
seller
seller

My Mood:
I didn't get to go into labor with ds1. C/S after a brief stint on pitocin. With ds2, my VBAC, I went into it not really wanting an epi but having an open mind. My labor was 48hrs, 41 hrs at home. I got the epi a couple hours after admission and *hated* it with a passion. I was totally immobilized from under my boobs and below. It was the worst feeling, worse than the ctxs. I had them turn it down from 10cc to 2ccs and luckily started feeling again before it was time to push. Now I know how horrible it is and I'll never get one again. But like others said, I wouldn't have known unless I tried it. For me, it's this big negative memory in the overall wonderfully insane 2 day labor.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
SewGreenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #25
Juvanilla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
I was researching it and san Francisco is one of the only (possibly only) place that has gas. Gas is such a great option too because it is viable for birth centers and home births.
On a totally different note I LOVE UCSF!
Juvanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
cormama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First of all, good for you for having 2 natural births!! I had epidurals with both my girls and had no side effects at all. I tried to go natural for as long as I could but the pain was just unbearable to keep going. Apparently I'm a big wimp lol. I say just take it as it goes and if you feel like you need the epi then go for it. I don't feel like there's a wrong decision.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #27
mommycissa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething
I think it's just crazy that laughing gas isn't a viable option in the US , the risks are way less and you kind of get the best of both worlds. I am too much about control to stand the thought of being immobile but if that doesn't bother you then go for it.
It IS an option in some places, although I just found that out. There's a birth center in Austin that uses it. I'm told it's not common though bc it doesn't generate any facility income.

Get 35% Off YesToTomatos Skin and Hair Products! I love Yes To, and I think you would too! Click the link http://www.push44.com/wzrv9gzf for a special offer from Yes To!
mommycissa is offline   Reply With Quote