Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Very important. I wanted the names we chose to fit the person I felt growing inside me. And so far I feel all have. Names have great significance to me though and for others none at all.

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think it's important.

Ds was named after both his grandpas middle names.

Dd was a name I always wanted and middle name is from my great grandma, my grandma, my mom, and my sister.

Ds2 name means gift from his and he truly is. He is our rainbow oopsie baby. Dh picked his name two hours before he was born. His middle name is after my grandpas middle name and fils uncles name.

***I know how to write, my iPod does not***
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How important is the meaning of a name to you?

I think I would have a hard time with a meaning like that... but I try not to think about it too much.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't let it bother me. We picked Cassandra for this baby and it means Inflaming Men With Love. It makes Chris and I laugh.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Eh, I consider a nice meaning a bonus. I'm more worried about the sound/look of the name and if there are any connotations that may be negative (ie Adolf may sound fine and have the cool meaning of wolf but everyone thinks Hitler, not something I'd want to saddle a baby with).

For what it's worth, most people don't know the meaning of other people's names and plenty have no clue what their own name means. The association with famous or infamous people and/or cultural references carries more weight, in my humble opinion.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
Cashmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it is important to consider the name's meaning, because your child is sure to ask you and it is a part of who they are. That being said, there are multiple meanings! I love the name Mara, which means bitter in English translation, but in Ugandan, it means love (and in Russia, she is the goddess of death so...)

Miriam was the older sister of Moses and his protector--she became a great prophetess and she is considered to be a creative genius!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
mom2kaydncolt
Registered Users
seller

I used to think I would care about the meanings of names but it turns out I don't. Lol. I have one that means from a coal town, one who saws wood, a mountain range, and the website vary on Lilah -one said from a lilac tree, the other said raven haired seductress. So yeah more, their names fit each of them perfectly and I'm glad I didn't let meanings get in the way of using them.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #18
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

Meaning, not so much. Origin and history? Decently. Have you looked at the origin or history of the name?
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is important to us. We pick names we like the sound of ofcourse, but we want it to have a good meaning as well. All of the names we have picked, the meanings really match our children.

ETA: The origin is important to us, as well as the history.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #20
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I was once reading a baby book and saw the name Dijonnaise. Meaning: Condiment.

Seriously. That exists. So meh. I only care about the meaning when it's funny or interesting, like how my hubby and I argued over Seamus vs James without knowing they were the same name (Seamus is the irish pronunciation of James). It's funny, but I would have loved Seamus no matter what.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote