Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
danimdel's Avatar
danimdel
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,571
My Mood:
Final update! Julia Quinn was born 10-26 at 40 1/7 weeks healthy! I went in for my 40 week appointment and bp was up to 136/90 and my ob said it was time. All pre-e labs were normal so I was induced for hypertension but no mag needed! I was 1cm and they tried the foley first and after 12 hours with no change started pit. A very low dose of pit did the trick and 5 hours after contractions started she flew out onto the bed before the dr had her gloves on. It really went well. No bleeding related to the platelets and by bp was ok throughout the process. I'm glad in didn't rush into the induction, but happy with how everything went. Thanks for all the input

UPDATE: just a quick update that we talked to my own OB today and she agrees with me that baby and me both look good so we're good to keep going with 2x/week appointments and nst's. I <3 her. What is your breaking point? I feel strongly against inductions for several reasons including having an awful one with dd. I am totally for them of course if it's medical necessary, but what is that line? With dd I felt like we were forced into a "medically necessary" induction for high bp, that wasn't really that high (130ish/80 for several weeks) I wish we would have gotten a second opinion even that late the game. So fast forward to now at 38 weeks pregnant with my 3rd. I was at l&d last night and the OB on call gave us "the talk" that they are going to strongly recommend an induction at 39 weeks and be prepared to talk at my next appointment about it. This pregnancy has been very stressful with several minor complications. The big issue have been my very low platelet count. I have been seeing a hematologist for a few months. My other blood counts are also low and I'm anemic, but the platelets are the main issue, but we have a clear plan in place. The hematologist is not overly concerned at this point. My BP is also creeping up and I have some severe swelling. That's why I ended up in l&d last night...my ob sent me after my appointment but after 6 hours stuck there they ruled out pre-e and just told to stop working now and take it easy. I did have pre-e with ds but not until 41 weeks and already in labor. I also had an u/s a couple of weeks ago because baby was breech and they wanted to do a version, but baby flipped (yay for one thing going right!) and they diagnosed me with mild polyhydramanos. I currently have a uti and gbs+ for the first time now argh. So basically there is a lot going on, but I don't see why having baby earlier would help baby or me. The ob last night basically said it was because of my platelets, but they have actually been trending up lately so if we're going to assume anything we should assume that will go up and not down. They are worried I might need a transfusion...but again how would an induction change that? I am not dilated at all and in my previous pregnancies have not started dilating before 39 weeks. I know no one can tell me what to do, but how would you feel in this situation? Would having multiple "issues" make you change your mind?

Advertisement

__________________
Danielle, happy wife and Mommy to B, A and newbie J!

Last edited by danimdel; 10-30-2013 at 08:10 AM.
danimdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
stevensmom's Avatar
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: a little place called Home
Posts: 52,868
My Mood:
I've had pit with all three of my births.


Ds1 was after my water broke and contractions stalled

Dd was a planned induction and broke my water

Ds2 was after him having heart decels after monitored contractions. And then broke my water

All of those were non epi labors too.

***I know how to write, my iPod does not***
__________________
Erica , wife to Ben, momma to Steven11.06 Emily9.10 Matthew 8.13
Forever in my heart, always on my mind (3.09, 5.09, 12.11)
"Life's too short to buy green bananas"
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
UVASahm's Avatar
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Va
Posts: 1,748
I don't think pintocin is the end of the world at all. If your doc is concerned about your health or babies than I would do it. The last thing you want is for either of you to get terribly sick and you need a true emergency c section.

Before making a decision, ask your doc lots of questions. What if this happens etc? Try and nail down exactly why they are concerned about each issue and why they are pushing an induction. It sounds like it truly is for your health and/or babies health so they will have some answers. If any of them scare you, I would get the induction. Inductions for convenience, absolutely not. Inductions out of necessity (true necessity) are absolutely needed.
__________________
Loving wife to my gaming, sports loving hubbie. Sahm to J 2/12 and L 10/13
UVASahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
danimdel's Avatar
danimdel
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,571
My Mood:
I know people have positive experiences with pit, but ours was so traumatic that it stuck with us. With dd they induced with cervadil and then pit and both made me really sick. After a 30 hour stressful awful induction she was born blue and floppy, not breathing, needed to be resuscitated and ended up having 4 strokes, seizures and brain damage...so it was seriously traumatic. At this point because my cervix is so unfavorable I would need the same kind of induction. I would be all for it if I could go in and get my water broken or maybe just a little pit, but it would be the whole shebang. At this point I feel like inducing would be more likely lead to a c-cx than anything else. My platelets are too low to get an epi or spinal so I would have to go under general anesthesia and miss the whole thing . That is just so scary to me. I would like to hope that maybe my body will make at least some progress before next week and that would make the decision easier.
__________________
Danielle, happy wife and Mommy to B, A and newbie J!
danimdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 512
Re: If you are against inductions...

I'm really not sure. I absolutely believe they have their time and place. I wouldn't toy around with high blood pressure, but I'm not sure how high is too high. Thankfully, it's something I haven't had to think about yet.

It was strongly suggested that I have an induction with my last baby at 38-39 weeks because they wanted to me to have the baby in their hospital for observation, and I lived 2.3 hrs from there. I ended up getting a second opinion and sticking with my plan on an out of hospital natural birth, which all parties accepted. I had my daughter checked out by a cardiologist in his office shortly after birth and all was well. There was a very small chance that something very small may have been wrong with her heart. But there was no reason to assume immediate intervention would be needed in the case. As it turned out, absolutely nothing was wrong with her.

I had two elective inductions with my first two at 41.5 weeks and 42 weeks. My 3rd child was born naturally at 42.5 weeks.

I wouldn't hesitate to have an induction if there was any reason to believe that my baby needed to be born sooner or if my own health was at risk. But I expect if I had an induction before 40 weeks, it would end in c-section, so I'd prepare for that. I don't feel like my body is ready to give birth that early.
__________________
SAHM to 4 girls ages 10, 8, 4, and 2.

http://heathenhomesteader.com/
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
momEmac's Avatar
momEmac
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 966
My Mood:
I had an induction with my first and while it was awful and I will do anything to avoid it, I don't regret it at all. DS was breech and they did an ECV and successfully turned him, but they were very concerned he would flip back around. In hind sight, I think he would have flipped back to breech and I would have ended up with a csection, so I'm glad I went with it.
In your situation I would be asking questions about what the risks of not inducing vs inducing. Make a list of questions based on your issues and ask. I would also not commit to one right there, ask to think about it for a few hours before scheduling it.
__________________
Elisha, wife to my amazing husband and SAHM to my beautiful baby boy, Titus.
Expecting our new little one December 2013!

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,873
Re: If you are against inductions...

I don't know where my breaking point would be, but there's nothing in your post that conveniences me you need one. I would refuse for now, but of course you have to weigh your options carefully and decide what you think is best. I'll be hoping your little one makes its appearance soon on its own, that way you won't have to choose! Good luck!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Solomon's Mama's Avatar
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina <3
Posts: 2,242
My Mood:
Re: If you are against inductions...

If it were me, I would probably request a serious talk with my doctor. An induction, especially at 39 weeks, is a really big deal and you have every right to make as informed a decision as possible. All of the issues combined seem a little overwhelming, but individually none of them seem like a good reason to induce. If your hematologist isn't concerned about the platelet thing then why is your OB so worried about it? I'm no doctor but I would think that increasing the risk of major surgery by inducing you early would not be something you want to do if there is possibility of transfusion or other blood related issues. Maybe it doesn't work that way but my brain thinks that if my blood is having problems, lets not cut me open! And to me, an early induction if your body is not ready could easily lead to C-section. So yeah...I would talk with your doctor, and if he doesn't give you a reason you feel comfortable with, then ask for another week before talking about it again. Take it easy, drink lots of water, and as long as baby is moving well and your BP and platelet levels are staying in a good range, keep waiting on that baby
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
Mamaleah's Avatar
Mamaleah
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,200
My Mood:
Re: If you are against inductions...

If it were me I would take it day by day...or week by week If your cervix is still not in a good position then I wouldn't induce as long as everything else is looking okay. Some women can induce and do okay even if their body doesn't seem quite ready...but it seems like that is rare. I hope you birth goes great and your body can hold out for you!
__________________
SAHM to Keila 9/08 and Brycen 10/10. Expecting #3 ~Our Rainbow Baby~ March 2015!
Mamaleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
cjslater1's Avatar
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,174
My Mood:
Re: If you are against inductions...

I had a bad experience with pit my first time, but I was having health issues and do believe that induction was the best choice at the time. If things get worse you will know when it is time to go, and if you are extremely fearful of pitocin, if you are terrified your body will start stalling and you may end up needing a c section.
__________________
*Jazz* Mommy to Axel 5/7/09 and Samara 2/9/12 Gage 11/7/13and navy wife to Stephen(future PNP )Now blogging for The Good Life Green check it out: http://live613.wordpress.com/
cjslater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.