Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
danimdel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for all the input. I definitely won't fight an induction if things get worse, but I will just see where everything goes from here. I also don't think my own OB will push it either. I will be 38 6/7 at my appointment and we have been aware of the platelet issue since 12 weeks so I really think she would have mentioned a 39 week induction before 38 6/7! I go tomorrow for a bp check, Wednesday blood work, and Thursday OB so if there are any changed I'm being closely followed! The hematologist is so comfortable with my stability that I don't have to see him until after baby is here...he is in my side lol.

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Ola_
Registered Users

Re: If you are against inductions...

Personally my breaking point would probably be around 42 weeks assuming the baby was ok and my health was not endangered by staying pregnant.

My platelets got low last time and may be starting to do it again this time. I'm thinking about some chlorophyll supplements which I heard may be helpful (have to research this still). But the issue with low platelets is that you may bleed excessively - so they often won't administer an epidural if they are too low and I would worry about surgical delivery like a c-section for the same reason. I would think that inducing, and inducing early especially, would not be recommended! Most women say that induced contractions are harder and you are more likely to need pain relief and your risk of a c-section also goes up, so...
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
danimdel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Small update in first post
Old 10-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like from your update that you've got a pretty good OB! I'm with you that even though you've got a lot going on, none of it really seems like it would be helped with an induction at this point. Obviously, if your BP goes up and/or you start with protein in your urine, then it would be time to reassess the position and probably go ahead with induction.

BUT, since the main issue is the low platelets, then I'd think they would want to try to let you go into natural labor or at least start with a favorable cervix before inducing you since inductions with an unfavorable cervix (little or no dilation and not soft/effaced) raises your risk of surgery by an order of magnitude! In fact, it's almost as good as a guarantee to have either an assisted delivery with vacuum or forceps or a Cesarean section by starting out with an unfavorable cervix. Yes, it can be successful, but it's far more common to either have a complete failure to make any changes or start labor that then stalls at some point (plus they are already thinking C-section is a possibility because of the other problems + knowing that inductions raise the risk of surgery). And the risks of bleeding and/or embolism are far higher with surgery than natural vaginal birth, so trying to minimize that risk would be far more prudent that jumping the gun here I think. Especially since the hematologist is not worried about the platelet count at this point, your platelets are actually climbing (duh, let's give them time to see how far they go up!), and there is a plan in place anyway.

So yeah, for now I'm with you and your OB to wait and see rather than inducing. You could try some natural methods to try to get your body favorable just in case--lots of sex (prostaglandins in semen help soften the cervix + your orgasm releases oxytocin=contractions), nipple stimulation with either nursing or pumping (again oxytocin), perhaps evening primrose oil vaginal suppositories to soften the cervix, as much vertical time to let gravity do as much work as possible, that kind of thing. It won't necessarily put you into labor if your body & baby aren't ready yet, but it may get the ball rolling enough that if you have to be induced, your odds of success may be higher. Good luck!
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Your pre-e is what's concerning to me. Although I home birthed with a midwife. You'd be risked out of midwifery care. But since this isn't your first birth, you most likely won't go past 40 weeks, with the nature of second births being quick and earlier than the first.

I second the evening primrose oil capsule insert next to the cervix. It will help soften the cervix, which is good for any situation.

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
danimdel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Final update in 1st post
Old 10-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #17
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
danimdel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriamleigh
Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!
Thank you
Old 11-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
Ola_
Registered Users

So great to hear the update, congratulations!

My platelets are, predictably, dropping again so I'm researching supplements I can take to try and bring them up. If they get too low my midwives are not comfortable with home birth so we'd need to go into the hospital. It's great to hear of a positive outcome!
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
danimdel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_
So great to hear the update, congratulations! My platelets are, predictably, dropping again so I'm researching supplements I can take to try and bring them up. If they get too low my midwives are not comfortable with home birth so we'd need to go into the hospital. It's great to hear of a positive outcome!
Thank you! Sorry your platelets are dropping again . This was the first time mine dropped this low...they were lower than normal with my son, but bit too low. I was not able to use midwives this time at all. I love my ob so I would have stuck with her but she gives the option for midwife instead of ob back up for deliveries and she said no way! Not sure how low they are comfortable. My platelets ended up being 71 at delivery which no one was too concerned with. They went as low as 52 so I'm just happy they didn't stay they low! My hematologist said he doesn't see issues with bleeding until below 50, but I was still nervous about it!

As far as supplements they said nothing can really increase them. They tried a vitamin b shot for me because my other blood counts were out of whack a little but it didn't effect the platelets. When mine were at their lowest I was forgetting to take my folic acid everyday so I feel like that helped, but who knows! I hope yours stabilize and you get the delivery you want!