Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Nighttime diapering for heavy-wetting newborn?

DS is 7 weeks old, and roughly 13-14 lbs. He is getting pretty chunky, and is also a fairly heavy wetter. I am looking for a nighttime diapering solution for him. I had him in a BG bamboo fitted (with a doubler) under a super whisper wrap. I was having to change him at least once in the night, which is obviously disruptive. Since I switched to sposies at night, he sleeps more soundly, and I don't have to change him until morning.

I would like to use cloth at night, but I need an option that isn't super bulky yet is still absorbent. Suggestions?

Advertisement

dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
mothergooseofthree
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nighttime diapering for heavy-wetting newborn?

I haven't diapered in a long while, but at that point my ds would out wet a sposie between night time feedings....3hrs perhaps. He is why I started cding. His first night in a small ME Sandys with added liner and a windpro cover was the first night he ever wore one diaper all night long. An ME Airflow also worked instead of the windpro cover.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothergooseofthree View Post
I haven't diapered in a long while, but at that point my ds would out wet a sposie between night time feedings....3hrs perhaps. He is why I started cding. His first night in a small ME Sandys with added liner and a windpro cover was the first night he ever wore one diaper all night long. An ME Airflow also worked instead of the windpro cover.

Thanks! I will check into that.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

I've diped 6 kids at night. Some were heavy wetters. The truth in my experience is... When you have an ittybitty super soaker that your not going to change the entire night the solution is going to be bulky! A lot of mommas will say that a newborn should be changed throughout the night even if it's disruptive. Parenting can frequently be disruptive! Lol. Then there are mommas who do sposies at night for your reasoning. So thats the long answer. The short answer is, I could give you several solutions that would be bullet proof and hold all night with no leaks BUT they are going to be bulky on a newborn.
ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

My little guy is 6 weeks and the same size. We're doing disposables for now. He was peeing through even the bulkiest night diapers, and although I love CDing, I don't love it enough to wake him up to change him every 3 hours.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

DD3 is 7 weeks and so far at night I have been successful with a Charlie Banana pocket stuffed with hemp and microfibre...but she doesnt wake to feed at all so the pee she has is from her bedtime feed. Totally bulky diaper though. DD2 wears a similar combo at night in XL FB's and her butt is so huge she looks like she just got off a horse.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
After struggling with 2 kids trying to find a combo that worked, didn't smell and wasn't so bulky they were doing the splits, I have up with my last 2 babies and did disposables at night from the get-go. It's 1 pack a month and worth it to not have stink or leaks. It still smells like a wet disposable but not like a hamster cage.
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummsmiley View Post
I've diped 6 kids at night. Some were heavy wetters. The truth in my experience is... When you have an ittybitty super soaker that your not going to change the entire night the solution is going to be bulky! A lot of mommas will say that a newborn should be changed throughout the night even if it's disruptive. Parenting can frequently be disruptive! Lol. Then there are mommas who do sposies at night for your reasoning. So thats the long answer. The short answer is, I could give you several solutions that would be bullet proof and hold all night with no leaks BUT they are going to be bulky on a newborn.
LOL!! Thank you for the reminder. DS is #6 for me, so you would think I'd have it all figured out by now. I don't mind some disruption, but sleep is a huge priority for me. I cannot function without it (and I have 5 other children to deal with), so I want as few sleep disruptions as possible.

Ahhhh... oh well. I was hoping that I had somehow overlooked a magical trim nighttime cloth solution. Maybe we will just stick to disposables at night for a while longer. I need to sleep.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BG 4.0 with OS MF inserts and hemp insert behind -- thirsties hemp or joey bunz
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

I ran out of sposies, so I am trying something new tonight. I have DS in a SmartBottom shell stuffed with a BabyBeehind. If I need to change him, I will put him in another SmartBottom shell stuffed with two Softbums pods. It may or may not be my long-term nighttime diaper of choice, but it's what I have available. I don't have a lot of options anyway, but have even less tonight since I need to wash diapers.