Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cholestasis experience?

Hi itchy mamas. I was diagnosed with ICP with my last pregnancy. I understand that depending who you ask I have a 70-90% chance of getting it again.

My doctor hasn't brought it up at all and I read the other night that a baseline bile salts test should have been done at the start of my pregnancy. Also that symptoms show up long after those levels are elevated. I figured this time I would just get tested as soon as I got itchy but now I'm not sure if I should talk to my doctor about preemptive testing.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am getting tested every 2 weeks because of intense unexplained itching. My levels are all normal. I was hoping to be diagnosed with ICP so I could at least have a reason for this insane itching.

Anyways, I'm no help for you
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cholestasis experience?

I was induced at 39 weeks for it with my first son, I itched so bad everywhere and ended up getting a horrible rash. I remember scratching my belly to pieces the day before I was induced because I just couldn't get relief. I my appointment the next day my doctor did blood tests and ultrasound and decided on induction. I am 37 weeks now and have been getting itchy belly hands and feet, I don't know if it is the same issue again but I do plan to ask my appointment this week.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
I am getting tested every 2 weeks because of intense unexplained itching. My levels are all normal. I was hoping to be diagnosed with ICP so I could at least have a reason for this insane itching.

Anyways, I'm no help for you
That's terrible, I hope you get some relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjslater1 View Post
I was induced at 39 weeks for it with my first son, I itched so bad everywhere and ended up getting a horrible rash. I remember scratching my belly to pieces the day before I was induced because I just couldn't get relief. I my appointment the next day my doctor did blood tests and ultrasound and decided on induction. I am 37 weeks now and have been getting itchy belly hands and feet, I don't know if it is the same issue again but I do plan to ask my appointment this week.
So your doctor didn't do any baseline testing or anything preemptive for this pregnancy?
Old 10-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post

So your doctor didn't do any baseline testing or anything preemptive for this pregnancy?
No, I didn't have any issues with my second pregnancy, we moved so I have a new OB now, I didn't even think to bring it up until I started itching this week. I emailed her today so hopefully she will get back to me tomorrow if I need to have testing or anything. With my first son I started itching and with in a week it was full blown hell, my doctor decided to induce even before the results came back, I am really praying it isn't the same issue this time, I hated being induced.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a strange case of PUPPS last pregnancy. It never followed the normal guidelines, but it was torture from about 24 weeks until delivery. Even then, it didn't go away until 2 weeks postpartum.

Since 14 weeks I've been itching again! This sucks monkey balls. It's bad. I scratch until I bleed, and wake myself up itching. I was on heavy anti-itch meds orally and a strong steroid cream and still didn't do much.

I have no idea what you have, but I feel yo pain!!!!!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had some labs drawn this morning, being that I am already 37 weeks I didn't want to waste time. My Doctor told me to take benadryl for the itching, I really hope she doesn't blow this off, but the test results will speak for themselves.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjslater1 View Post
I had some labs drawn this morning, being that I am already 37 weeks I didn't want to waste time. My Doctor told me to take benadryl for the itching, I really hope she doesn't blow this off, but the test results will speak for themselves.
If it is ICP benadryl won't help because the itching is not a histamine reaction. I hope everything comes back normal though.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

I don't think baseline bile acids are going to do much for you. There are lab values that need to be abnormal, no matter what your baseline is. From what I understood from my last ICP pregnancy, it's not just the increase in bile acids but also the ratio of the different liver enzymes that diagnose ICP, vs other liver problems. I'll be honest, I don't remember anymore.

There is a super comprehensive and well researched paper on ICP that I can dig up for you if you want it.

Changing topic, did your itching go away completely? I still, almost a year later, have residual itching on my palms. And when I had my MRI, part of my liver was dead. It's not much, and my liver enzymes were "excellent" but I was surprised by that.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had it last time as well. They really have not said if they are doing any extra testing. I think I am going to ask at my next appointment.
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote