Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
I don't think baseline bile acids are going to do much for you. There are lab values that need to be abnormal, no matter what your baseline is. From what I understood from my last ICP pregnancy, it's not just the increase in bile acids but also the ratio of the different liver enzymes that diagnose ICP, vs other liver problems. I'll be honest, I don't remember anymore.

There is a super comprehensive and well researched paper on ICP that I can dig up for you if you want it.

Changing topic, did your itching go away completely? I still, almost a year later, have residual itching on my palms. And when I had my MRI, part of my liver was dead. It's not much, and my liver enzymes were "excellent" but I was surprised by that.
I thought that about baseline testing too. Maybe to see if I'm starting out with abnormal liver function. If you still have it I'd love it, I'm starting an ICP research collection.

My itching went away as soon as baby was out. I never had the typical itching on my palms and feet, my legs were the worst. I still have a scar on one shin from scratching so hard.

I never even thought about it causing permanent damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneywalters View Post
I had it last time as well. They really have not said if they are doing any extra testing. I think I am going to ask at my next appointment.
I have an appointment this afternoon and plan to ask my doctor what our plan is. I want to be proactive this time. I may ask her to order a fractionated bile acid test at the same time they torture me with another diabetes challenge, that should be at next month's appointment so 27 weeks for me.

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cholestasis experience?

My appointment is next week, I will be 21 weeks. I would like to stay on top of it this time also. I was diagnosed and induced the same day last time. I had no time to prepare and her birth was a nightmare.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneywalters View Post
My appointment is next week, I will be 21 weeks. I would like to stay on top of it this time also. I was diagnosed and induced the same day last time. I had no time to prepare and her birth was a nightmare.
Me too, almost They called me in on a Monday afternoon and I don't know why but I really didn't expect to be positive for ICP. It's so rare. My doctor came in and told me I was having a baby on Wednesday. I cried ALL day and off and on until Wednesday night. I was just emotionally unprepared. And of course the birth was nothing like what I wanted.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My liver function tests came back normal, still waiting for bile test. The itching is increasing especially on my ankles and wrists but I am feeling it creeping to my belly too. My hands and feet only really burn at night which is a relief. I will be happy if all the tests come back negative, but I do worry about misdiagnosis since I can't think of any other reason for the itching.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2678574/

HTH.

I think my ICP was more severe than usual. I had it with #3 at 36 weeks, we didn't get the tests back until 38 weeks and I delivered anyway. With #4 I started itching at 14 weeks. By the time I was 30 weeks my bile acids were out of normal and I was becoming very ill. I normally gain 50+ pounds when I'm pg and I only gained 20 total, and all of that was in the first trimester. I was having constant gallbladder attacks and in terrible pain. We decided to induce at 36 weeks, because I had non-induced labors at 37 and 38 weeks, and we wanted to avoid the stillbirth death spike at 37 weeks.

I've never cared about my birth experience, but that's obviously just me.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All my bile acids came back normal, I am relieved but am still itching like crazy. Only 10 days to my due date and my doctor has ordered once a week U/S just to be safe. I feel better about knowing the results. Just wish I wouldn't feel like I have been attacked by fire ants.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjslater1
All my bile acids came back normal, I am relieved but am still itching like crazy. Only 10 days to my due date and my doctor has ordered once a week U/S just to be safe. I feel better about knowing the results. Just wish I wouldn't feel like I have been attacked by fire ants.
I know why you mean. I was really hopping the I ha ICP so I would know why I was itching like his! Ugh!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
Minniebees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjslater1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
I know why you mean. I was really hopping the I ha ICP so I would know why I was itching like his! Ugh!
Make sure you continue to get tested. Having one blood test come up normal does not mean you do not have IHCP. Sometimes it takes a while for the toxins to build up and show up on a test. I started itching at 14 weeks, but didn't have a positive until 25 or 30 weeks (I don't remember exactly when). Also, read the paper I posted, there is no direct link between symptoms and bile acid numbers. I was on mega doses of Urso, and my bile acids dipped in to the normal range at the very end, but my symptoms kept getting worse.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees
Make sure you continue to get tested. Having one blood test come up normal does not mean you do not have IHCP. Sometimes it takes a while for the toxins to build up and show up on a test. I started itching at 14 weeks, but didn't have a positive until 25 or 30 weeks (I don't remember exactly when). Also, read the paper I posted, there is no direct link between symptoms and bile acid numbers. I was on mega doses of Urso, and my bile acids dipped in to the normal range at the very end, but my symptoms kept getting worse.
Yep, getting tested weekly at my request. I'll have to read the article.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
Minniebees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad you're still getting tested. Don't forget, the tests take 2 weeks to come back, plus, some labs use the non-pregnant lab values, so be sure they are looking at both the right lab values, AND the ratio of the values. If you are suspicious that you have IHCP, then be very proactive. The stillbirth rate is so high.

Itching isn't the only symptom, there's also nausea, exhaustion, upper right quadrant pain, unusual stool, dark urine, etc. If you have itching and those other symptoms, you might want to talk with your OB about what to do even without the lab values.

I used a spaghetti server as a scratcher. It was amazing. Just a tip.