Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Juvanilla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What's your routine at the first site of rash?

Houston, we have our first rash. Bummer. It's a bit raised with a few bumps. No anal rash ring. Overwhelmed by the plethora of rash cream and stripping routines. So mamas, what do you do?

Advertisement

Juvanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Txladybug
Registered Users

Re: What's your routine at the first site of rash?

I've only dealt with rash twice, but Grandma El's cleared it up within a day. That stuff works!
Txladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
mrschaeos
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I try coconut oil and if I don't have sucess with that after a few changes. I get fleece liners and use desitin. It always works. And with the liners we have no issues.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Juvanilla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txladybug View Post
I've only dealt with rash twice, but Grandma El's cleared it up within a day. That stuff works!
Do you strip your diapers with each rash? I just stripped them and I have her in sposies
Juvanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since I started using bleach at first hint of subtle funk, I never see a rash that isn't clearly from a. Super yucky poo like watery diarrhea causing insta-rash or b. Irritation from being in the wet or dirty diaper too long. For a. it is important to prevent so I will try to slather on any sort of moisture barrier I can, like mix in some lanolin with cjs in my hand, and do naked or coverless time to heal... They can be pretty bad. For b. (which are usually not bad) I just keep using CJs and/or powder on it and it's gone in several changes or I will use fleece for nights or outings to keep the area more dry while it heals. In general, naked time heals all

I suggest you consider improving your regular wash routine if you need to strip due to rashes... That doesn't sound like a wash routine that works too well.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Frisky2times
Registered Users

Bath first! Always helps clear it up let his skin dry before putting a diaper on and I put baby powder on him, always works I used to use cjs and it made his rash worse every time!!
Frisky2times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
Ouch!
Registered Users

When diaper rash reared it's ugly little head in our home, out came the browned corn starch, and if you breastfeed, breast milk works wonders, too!

Additionally, adding 100 mL- 250 mL of vinegar to the final rinse cycle when laundering diapers, helps balance pH levels and rid diapers of residual detergent buildup that can happen over time... leading to skin woes and/or diaper rash.
Ouch! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
penguinande
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would not bother stripping unless you suspect that the rash is caused by your wash routine. Our rashes with ds have only been due to wetness sensitivity and poops that haven't gotten changed quickly enough. I use coconut oil if there is just a little redness, and a thick coating of CJs if there is a bigger rash. If we had a really bad one I would probably do desatin and disposables (or a liner). Ds is 1 and we have yet to have a rash that was caused by detergent buildup or diapers not getting clean enough. I add a little bleach to my prewash and it works wonders.
penguinande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
scrapfish
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Rashes are one of the big reasons we started cloth diapering. If our LO is red, I make a point to change her diaper every hour on the hour (sometimes sooner, if I know she has a wet diaper) and make sure she is completely dry before putting on a clean diaper. We use cloth wipes & I keep a dry wipe handy to dry her off. I dry her off at every diaper change, not just when she is red.
scrapfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
laydekatrina
Registered Users
seller

We bath the baby, let them have naked butt time and when they wet/dirty themselves again we wash their butts and dry with a towel and repeat until the rash clears. If we are going out we have used the aveeno rash cream with great results.
laydekatrina is offline   Reply With Quote