Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Baking soda bath first. We spray him and pat dry, no rubbing. His wipe spray has coconut oil in it. We use cjs butter. And go coverless as long as I can stand it.

Eta we've never had yeasty beasties or anything like that so no need to strip.

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
Juvanilla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's your routine at the first site of rash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Baking soda bath first. We spray him and pat dry, no rubbing. His wipe spray has coconut oil in it. We use cjs butter. And go coverless as long as I can stand it.

Eta we've never had yeasty beasties or anything like that so no need to strip.
Oh I've never heard of a baking soda bath. What does it do? How much baking soda?
Juvanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #13
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvanilla View Post

Oh I've never heard of a baking soda bath. What does it do? How much baking soda?
It neutralizes the burn so baby isn't so uncomfortable. Every time we've had to do it he was visibly less red after the bath. I've never really measured, a couple tablespoons when we used a little baby bath thing and maybe a quarter - a third cup now that he's just in the bathtub. That'd just be in a shallow bath though, enough to cover his bum.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
AngelElle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yes we do the baking soda bath too. That and an aveno bath packet. Then let him soak as long as he wants. Then we slather it with the aveno rash cream and it's usually gone or close to gone by morning.
AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
BenjaminBunnyful
Registered Users
seller

We rarely have rash but just start changing diapers more often and give more open air time and that has done the trick for us.
BenjaminBunnyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
mamaspice
Registered Users

Bath and nakey time. Or at least a coverless cotton diaper that gets changed as soon as it is wet.

If it doesn't clear up it may be a diaper problem. A little bleach in the wash did the trick for us.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #17
Juvanilla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspice View Post
Bath and nakey time. Or at least a coverless cotton diaper that gets changed as soon as it is wet.

If it doesn't clear up it may be a diaper problem. A little bleach in the wash did the trick for us.
Can I use bleach on pockets? Is Oxyclean considered bleach?
Thanks mamas! It's finally starting to clear up, we tried breast milk, Boudreauxs, organic plain yogurt, coconut oil, and finally California Baby's diaper rash cream has been doing the most noticeable good... Which is good because after I used it I looked up Amazon reviews and it got LOTS of bad reviews for "burning babys' skin" YIKES! She hasn't really fussed at all over her rash. But if I had a rash on my genitals that looked as bad as hers did I would vomit and faint in that order. I think I have to reasses my wash routine and pat her dry after diper changes for sure!
Juvanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #18
brfussne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MY DS had a small rash or possibly heat rash when he was about a week old. We basically let me lay on a thick blanket with no diaper on to air out for a few hours for a couple days. When he used the restroom, we thoroughly wiped him clean with a wet cloth, then pat dry, and applied CJ's BUTTer. His rash was gone in about 2 days.
brfussne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
scrapfish
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvanilla View Post
Thanks mamas! It's finally starting to clear up, we tried breast milk, Boudreauxs, organic plain yogurt, coconut oil, and finally California Baby's diaper rash cream has been doing the most noticeable good... Which is good because after I used it I looked up Amazon reviews and it got LOTS of bad reviews for "burning babys' skin" YIKES! She hasn't really fussed at all over her rash. But if I had a rash on my genitals that looked as bad as hers did I would vomit and faint in that order. I think I have to reasses my wash routine and pat her dry after diper changes for sure!
Is she EBF? I found that things I ate tended to give dd diaper rash. Specifically when I ate pizza & it was even worse if it was pepperoni. She still gets rashes if she eats anything with even a hint of spice or tomato sauce. If you do use bleach in the wash, be sure to get it all rinsed out so she doesn't have a reaction to the bleach.
scrapfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvanilla

Should be fine to use 1/4 cup bleach in the wash. Several pocket manufacturers recommend doing this regularly. I do.

I also use oxyclean in my prewash but I have read that it can be a little harder on your dipes and elastic than bleach. I haven't noticed problems personally and I do what I have to to keep the diapers clean and stink free in my front loader.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote