Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How is he mama? Been thinking about you.

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #22
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Re: 7 year old suddenly rapidly blinking nonstop ???

The little girl I watch had an eye-blinking tic for several months last year. She was seen at the pediatrician twice and ended up doing that 24 hour EEG with our local children's hospital and they concluded it was nothing out of the ordinary. It was just a motor tic that ended up going away after a while. Same thing is happening right now with a little girl up the street.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #23
mugsywebb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How'd it go? Hoping all is well
Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #24
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Waiting on doc to get back to town to read EEG tomorrow...he's actually supposed to be getting in late tonight and told our ped that he would try to access it from home and look at it tonight. He told our ped that it definitely doesn't sound normal though. The sideways glancing has lessened quite a bit and the head nodding is still there but not as obvious. Ped says for now he is going to call it a post-concussive trauma injury until he hears the EEG results, and then we'll go from there.

My dad's girlfriend works at another doctor's office in the same network (ped & doc reading EEG are all part of a close network with the hospital where he went to the ER). She showed one of the experienced nurses (I'm talking 30+ years in the ER and neuro field) a video of his behavior and she immediately asked what meds he was on (none)and if seizure disorders ran in either family (nope), because it VERY much looked like he was having a seizure to her. She was surprised that the ER didn't order an EEG that night, or immediately call for a neuro consult or send us out to Children's Hospital in St. Louis (a bit over an hour away).

We noticed a couple weird things this weekend that our pediatrician is mentioning to the doc reading the EEG tomorrow...
*There is no sign of any head nodding or rapid eye movement or facial/muscle movement in the eye area (like there *should* be if its a tic, at least according to our ped) when he is sleeping.
*He was reading a story aloud to us. When saying each sentence, he wouldn't blink. As soon as he paused (like in between sentences, to take a breath), he would start the blinking/glancing/nodding pattern, and do it until he started the next sentence.
*He was playing with our friends' teenage daughter...when he was running around, being tickled, etc he wasn't blinking...but as soon as they stopped & calmed down (came and sat around the fire pit), he started rapid-fire blinking and nodding again...but only when he wasn't talking.
*The nodding becomes more pronounced when he is really relaxed and/or tired. He has never been a child to "nod" off to sleep.
Ped thinks these things indicate that whatever "misfire" is going on is somehow linked to his speech & activity, he just can't figure out *how*. He said he's thinking if the blinking doesn't stop soon, we'll probably end up with a 24 hour EEG where the brain activity can be tracked during his everyday activities vs. the 1 hour where it was tracked while laying still with his eyes closed, light reactions with his eyes closed, and other basics like that.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #25
Emmalily
Registered Users

My Mood:
I really hope they figure this out quickly and there's no lasting damage. Sounds like you have a good team on the job.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #26
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't know as much about seizures but tics are common when tired and go away when someone is busy. Both tics and seizures can occur in sleep

Hope you hear soon!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #27
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 9 year old started doing that, we one day realized it started right after he ate ice cream, pulled dairy fom his diet and he doesn't do it anymore unless he gets something with dairy in it ir is around strong scents (he is also sensitive to strong artificial fragrances and will do it hen we go down the sundry aisle at the grocery store) so for him it was an allergy reaction.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #28
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

EEG showed a "small, minor" seizure right before he fell asleep. They still believe that since it came on after the head injury that it is related to the concussion. Neuro said that the timing of the episodes (tired, nervous) related to the area of his head where he hit the floor makes sense, and they believe that they will stop as the concussion heals. We're already seeing a reduction in them They said if they're still happening in 3-4 weeks we'll do another EEG, then depending on results from that, possibly a 24 hour EEG. We're supposed to be keeping a log of how often they're happening, if he's tired, nervous, how long they last, etc. Biggest concerns right now are a)keeping him from getting overtired--the neurologist expressed concern that if he gets overtired, he could have a more serious seizure, and b)keeping him from injuring himself again because...well...he's a 7 year old boy that likes to roughhouse. He came back to class from indoor recess a couple days ago and told his teacher he was sliding around on the gym floor and bounced his head on the bleachers She kept an eye on him though, called me, AND sent home a note.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #29
smartie
Registered Users

My Mood:

Did he have strep? PANDAS create ticks and such. I just wanted to put this out there, as something the connection can be overlooked. Hugs and well wishes
Old 10-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #30
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartie View Post
Did he have strep? PANDAS create ticks and such. I just wanted to put this out there, as something the connection can be overlooked. Hugs and well wishes
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publi...as/index.shtml