Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Contractions while working what to do?

I am hoping someone here and just give advice to what they think and would do. This is for a friend and might get long.

My friend is a member here but currently at work. I don't know where to start so I will start with all her symptoms and all.
She is Due Dec 14. She has been having swelling with pitting for a while now. The swelling has gotten progressively worse. Her bp stayed low for a long time then recently has started to climb. I think it was last week that she started having Braxton Hicks. Her Dr has said she is fine, nothing abnormal, etc and dismissing everything including the pitting and at times headaches to or fact that bp is climbing. Yesterday she called the on call Dr and her nurse calls back..the Dr's. Says to come in as she is have 6 contractions in 40 min when standing but they are painful in back and left side of belly. Did go away when she sat down. Nurse took bp and it was high 153/80 something I think I know the 150's was right. Took it again after she laid on her left side and it was lower but nurse didn't say to what. No contractions on the monitor..she was laying/sitting down. She had a headache that tylenol didn't touch. So the nurse said I can write you out for yesterday and sent her on her way. This morning she gets up and bam more contractions that are painful when standing and nothing sitting.
So she is a cashier. Can not sit with a stool. Not easy to get her off a register to see if it is BH or the real thing since now they are painful.
So my question is what would you do if this was you?

I had preterm labor so I am not much help.

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Contractions while working what to do?

She is due the same day as me. I'm surprised with that high of BP they aren't more concerned. Are they not concerned about pre-e? I think I would take some time off and try to rest if I were her. Does she qualify for FMLA or is her work reasonable about things like that?
amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyltc View Post
She is due the same day as me. I'm surprised with that high of BP they aren't more concerned. Are they not concerned about pre-e? I think I would take some time off and try to rest if I were her. Does she qualify for FMLA or is her work reasonable about things like that?
Yeah I was surprised to. I am concerned about pre-e but as of last appointment and I guess yesterday to, they aren't. I offered to go with her Tuesday when her Dr comes back and she has an appointment with her Dr.

She does qualify for FMLA and her work is accomodating if her Dr would sign the papers that are needed! Her Dr flat out told her she would be working until right til the end when my friend asked about starting FMLA/Leave at 35 weeks! She did back down a bit when my friend's mom went with her and said they would have to play it by ear. Her mom isn't local and was visiting. My friend thinks her husband will say something this time but I have no qualms in saying something. Though I told her she may not like that I will likely tick her Dr off.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
lilannies mama
Registered Users
seller

I would definetly have them look more into pre-e this happened to me & my dr dismissed it also then guess what at the last min when my Bp reached a stroke level I was ran to a hospital for an emergency csection at 30 weeks to have a 2 pound baby with a 50 day nicu stay. I got a hold of my dr so bad cause I kept mentioning the pre-e as a huge concern cause of my swelling so I'd have her push push push to be monitored really closely with the Bp & swelling & rest rest rest.
lilannies mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilannies mama View Post
I would definetly have them look more into pre-e this happened to me & my dr dismissed it also then guess what at the last min when my Bp reached a stroke level I was ran to a hospital for an emergency csection at 30 weeks to have a 2 pound baby with a 50 day nicu stay. I got a hold of my dr so bad cause I kept mentioning the pre-e as a huge concern cause of my swelling so I'd have her push push push to be monitored really closely with the Bp & swelling & rest rest rest.
I am so sorry that happened to you! This is my fear for her! She has mentioned her concerns to her Dr and have been dismissed to. She is a lot like me very quiet usually. I agree she needs rest and really close monitoring.
Thank you. I am keeping tabs on her today when she is on break and tomorrow is her breast feeding class and is off work. She works Sunday but off Monday and Tuesday and she sees the Dr Tuesday. I really hope her Dr. steps up and quits ignoring her!
Old 10-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
lilannies mama
Registered Users
seller

I hope so to. I really hate it her dr is being like mine was. Mine dismissed it to the heat since it was summer but after going off sodium & doing the laying around with feet up thing I was hoping more would be done. Maybe her dr will step up. Tell her good luck I'll be praying maybe the dr's are right on this one it just sounded all to familiar. If not maybe try getting a second opinion to see what another dr thinks so maybe she can find one to send her home with paperwork she needs for work so she can rest easy & let that baby bake a little longer.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I hope so to. I really hate it her dr is being like mine was. Mine dismissed it to the heat since it was summer but after going off sodium & doing the laying around with feet up thing I was hoping more would be done. Maybe her dr will step up. Tell her good luck I'll be praying maybe the dr's are right on this one it just sounded all to familiar. If not maybe try getting a second opinion to see what another dr thinks so maybe she can find one to send her home with paperwork she needs for work so she can rest easy & let that baby bake a little longer.
Thank you. Yeah she is watching her sodium and putting feet up when she can. She took a pic of her feet after just going to the post office and they were huge. I had her check for pitting and all and yup it was there.
She did see another Dr about it back before Bp really started rising and he said all was ok then.
She is chunky like me and I worry they are just blowing it off as chunky women can swell some. This is just crazy though.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
lilannies mama
Registered Users
seller

It really is I hope she gets some answers soon. Keep the thread updated I'd like to know how she's doing. I really hope it just all turns out ok. Ill keep prayers going for her for a full safe pregnancy.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
It really is I hope she gets some answers soon. Keep the thread updated I'd like to know how she's doing. I really hope it just all turns out ok. Ill keep prayers going for her for a full safe pregnancy.
I will keep it updated. I hope it will be dull until Decemeber.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
betsybikes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't have experience with this, but sounds like she needs a new doctor.

My mixed lot listed here:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...1#post17149541
betsybikes is offline   Reply With Quote