Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hospital aftet home?

My oldest two boys were born hospital, epi pretty uneventful births. They weren't mine though and wee mandated by policy and what not. My last baby I had at home. It was beautiful and really I could not have asked for a more perfect birth.

I am now 10 wks with #4. Complete suprise. We have given away all baby stuff. We were done. Having another home birth will be expensive an really be a burden financially but I am having a hard time giving in to going to the hospital. They are conservative and will end up with all if the interventions I don't want. I'm 36 which will make it worse.

My husband is retired military an we have Tricare which would make a hospital birth pretty much free minus copays and I think it's $25 a day in the hospital. Midwife is $4000. I just don't know how to come up with that kind of money. We really don't have anything to sell and our tax return is going to Disney trip that we have already planned and been paying on. My midwife would take payments however all extra money after my maternity leave will be going to pay daycare.

Anyway has anyone had a hospital birth after home birth for non medical reasons? Was it a good or bad experience? I am just so worried I am going to be so miserable and dreading the birth at a hospital but I just don't think we can afford to have a home birth.

Advertisement

Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Could you possibly afford a doula? I never had a home birth, but I see midwives at my hospital. My first was a c//sec ( more of my own accord- after 18 hours and trying to turn him manually without an epi and him going right back I had no energy to try and get him into the right pace. Plus I had been using for 4 hours!)
My second I labored at home In my tub. Dropped ds1 at a friends as soon as contrax picked up. Water broke & pushed in the car. The nurses and OB's let me labor & push on my hands and knees and did everything to make me comfortable. I was so in my own world I didn't notice a thing! He was born 45 mins after we got there.
I would just plan to labor at home for as long as possible. You could also try a free birth if you where so inclined. I do not like medical interventions, but still feel a bit more comfortable at the hospital JUST in case.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I will have a doula either way but I still won't be able to birth my way our hospitals are so backwards here. I will stay at home as long as I can but I efface first and then dilate so I go from 6-10 in about 30 min or less. Unassisted is to risky for me. I don't want to be in transition in the car either.
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014

Last edited by stacieandtheboys; 10-20-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
paulnkyliesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hospital aftet home?

what about a birth center?
paulnkyliesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have only had 1 baby but I had her at the hospital with a midwife and it was wonderful. My insurance paid for her like they would an OB. See if you can find a midwife that works with an OB.

There were 10 OB's in the practice and 3 midwives at the time. Always a midwife on call so they worked a lot and now they have added 2 more midwives who are also fantastic! Out of the 10 OB's 2 were always on call in case there was a need for a c/s (and for all the other mamas that wanted/ needed and OB rather than midwife) and the midwife would assist in the c/s.

It truly is such a wonderful thing to have a midwife. I love the team of midwives I have for my next birth!!!

Congrats on your #4
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post
I have only had 1 baby but I had her at the hospital with a midwife and it was wonderful. My insurance paid for her like they would an OB. See if you can find a midwife that works with an OB.

There were 10 OB's in the practice and 3 midwives at the time. Always a midwife on call so they worked a lot and now they have added 2 more midwives who are also fantastic! Out of the 10 OB's 2 were always on call in case there was a need for a c/s (and for all the other mamas that wanted/ needed and OB rather than midwife) and the midwife would assist in the c/s.

It truly is such a wonderful thing to have a midwife. I love the team of midwives I have for my next birth!!!

Congrats on your #4
This is essentially how DP delivered as well. Midwives in an OB practice. She only ever saw a MW or NP for prenatal. The MWs & OBs covered on-call equally & DP met the OB for the first time while in labor...she was called away to a CS & they called the next on-call (MW) in early & she did a wonderful job w/ DP & DD. All things considered, it was a really good experience & the MW gave DP more control & more choices than she would have otherwise had.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #7
dani_p
Registered Users

Tricare covers hospital based midwives so that may be an option. Also, will your midwife barter? Many will. You'd be surprised what people want/need... It can't hurt to ask.
Expecting number two (04/14)!
dani_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnkyliesmama View Post
what about a birth center?
No birth centers here Closest is 3hrs away.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post

Congrats on your #4

Only midwife here in town is a homebirth midwife. The OB's will not allow midwives to come here. They even bullied the family practice doctors that would deliver in the hospitals (there were 2 I think) so they now do not
Old 10-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieandtheboys View Post
No birth centers here Closest is 3hrs away.
Is it a birth center associated with a hospital? If it is insurance might cover it. You would have to find a way to be closer near the end of your pregnancy which might be pricey though.

If you have no choice for the hospital I would really say be very careful picking your ob and your doula (maybe have the doula help you choose). I understand your hospital might be horrible, but hopefully not every OB that delivers there is. Plus you have the added benefit of being your forth child. If your first 3 were uneventful there is a good chance your 4th will come out before they have any reason to intervene.

Good Luck!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote