Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
rchamberlain
Registered Users
seller

Re: June Bugs ~ To Do List

I'll play!

To Do -

Remember the needs of my other 3 kids and husband before my pregnancy cravings
Nap when my toddler naps. (I'm really bad at doing this and will clean instead of nap)

To Buy -

Aden and Anais swaddles (always wanted them and never had them)
Fabric to sew burp cloths
Infant car seat
New nursing bras that are pretty and don't make my husband sigh when I put them on

Advertisement

I love my Jesus
rchamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtee View Post
Definitely a good idea to wait. With DS I bought (or was given) an exersaucer, swing, high chair, etc before he was even born and it was ridiculous. This time around I'm waiting until I will actually use them - a newborn doesn't need an exersaucer or high chair lol. The bouncy seat was a god send though, I'll be skipping the swing an just using a bouncy seat this time.

AFM: I'm not even thinking about a list until at least the second trimester, if not later. Making sure this lil bean sticks first
Oh yes I do want a bouncy seat. I actually purposely dont want to use an exersaucer tho. I'd rather have the baby on the floor learning how to move. Of course my mom thinks I'm crazy

My idea is if I dont have them than I'll learn how to do things without them which I'd prefer....if I'm going NUTS/WACKO/CRAZY then I'll think about it.

I just have this feeling in the back of my mind that even if I say I dont want these things my mom is still going to insist on buying us a stroller

I'm sure when the baby gets older (around a year) I'll get an umbrella stroller.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchamberlain View Post
I'll play!

To Do -

Remember the needs of my other 3 kids and husband before my pregnancy cravings
Nap when my toddler naps. (I'm really bad at doing this and will clean instead of nap)

To Buy -

Aden and Anais swaddles (always wanted them and never had them)
Fabric to sew burp cloths
Infant car seat
New nursing bras that are pretty and don't make my husband sigh when I put them on
You sound just like me!
To do, try and nap.
To buy A+A swaddles- never had them always wanted some.
Sew some burp cloths, but will wait to see if boy/girl
Need new bras, mine are worn out from using them for three babies already.I want to get a couple of these for night time nursing.
http://www.mommyliciousmaternity.com...ng-nursing-bra

Quote:
Originally Posted by activia View Post
Oh yes I do want a bouncy seat. I actually purposely dont want to use an exersaucer tho. I'd rather have the baby on the floor learning how to move. Of course my mom thinks I'm crazy

My idea is if I dont have them than I'll learn how to do things without them which I'd prefer....if I'm going NUTS/WACKO/CRAZY then I'll think about it.

I just have this feeling in the back of my mind that even if I say I dont want these things my mom is still going to insist on buying us a stroller

I'm sure when the baby gets older (around a year) I'll get an umbrella stroller.
Just get her to get a nice umbrella stoller then if she insists. Something like a Mclaren, or uppavista baby. They recline, and baby can still be comfortable, without feeling like they are falling out of those $20 ones. And nap too! That way when baby is older, you have something nice to use.

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

I hear you about wanting to live with less (we had no exercauser, swing, jumper, or bumbo in our 2bd apartment), but I *personally* would not forgo a stroller. Of course some here might disagree. But my son suffered the common newborn affliction that he could only nap while in motion. My sleepless, c-section recovery body could not carry my 10lb 2-week old up and down our neighborhood hills for three hours every day. Not a chance! Since we have lovely weather here most of the year, of course I preferred to walk with him rather than put him in the car for all naps -- that would have been a real downer AND wouldn't have helped my get back to my fighting weight before the end of maternity leave. Plus I could sit down and have a cup of coffee or lunch with a friend without worrying about hot things falling on my newborn. I was fortunate that the grandmothers would sometimes take him out for a nap/walk as well and they would not be physically capable of using a carrier without causing long-term injury.

Two years later we still LOVE our City Mini. We used it with the snuzzler from birth to make a cushy, supported little nest. DS still rides around every day. I would have loved a parent-facing option, so if we decide not to get a large double this time I will probably buy the bassinet attachment. We also have a stroller frame for the car seat (which saw pretty heavy use for the first 9mo because of nap issues) and an umbrella stroller (replaced the frame as our car stroller at 9mo) but those are certainly not necessary if you prefer a minimalist life.

I know that was long, but I honestly think that having a stroller improved my quality of life, especially for the time I was home with DS. I used a carrier as well (still do at 2yo) and plan to again, but not as my sole "transportation." If someone is generous enough to gift you a quality stroller, I would not look down on the offer but would accept it graciously. The WORST case scenario is that you leave it in the trunk of your car (if you have one) and never use it. If you really hate it, sell it on craigslist.

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
sarahtee
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE="activia"]

I've never been a fan of plopping a kid in something and leaving them there. 99% of the exersaucer use was when I needed to shower and he was too young to be unsupervised but too old to sit in the bouncy seat. You'll find what works for you
sarahtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meljc View Post
I hear you about wanting to live with less (we had no exercauser, swing, jumper, or bumbo in our 2bd apartment), but I *personally* would not forgo a stroller. Of course some here might disagree. But my son suffered the common newborn affliction that he could only nap while in motion. My sleepless, c-section recovery body could not carry my 10lb 2-week old up and down our neighborhood hills for three hours every day. Not a chance! Since we have lovely weather here most of the year, of course I preferred to walk with him rather than put him in the car for all naps -- that would have been a real downer AND wouldn't have helped my get back to my fighting weight before the end of maternity leave. Plus I could sit down and have a cup of coffee or lunch with a friend without worrying about hot things falling on my newborn. I was fortunate that the grandmothers would sometimes take him out for a nap/walk as well and they would not be physically capable of using a carrier without causing long-term injury.

Two years later we still LOVE our City Mini. We used it with the snuzzler from birth to make a cushy, supported little nest. DS still rides around every day. I would have loved a parent-facing option, so if we decide not to get a large double this time I will probably buy the bassinet attachment. We also have a stroller frame for the car seat (which saw pretty heavy use for the first 9mo because of nap issues) and an umbrella stroller (replaced the frame as our car stroller at 9mo) but those are certainly not necessary if you prefer a minimalist life.

I know that was long, but I honestly think that having a stroller improved my quality of life, especially for the time I was home with DS. I used a carrier as well (still do at 2yo) and plan to again, but not as my sole "transportation." If someone is generous enough to gift you a quality stroller, I would not look down on the offer but would accept it graciously. The WORST case scenario is that you leave it in the trunk of your car (if you have one) and never use it. If you really hate it, sell it on craigslist.
I appreciate you letting me know about your experiences. I certainly wouldn't throw it away or donate it..it would most likely go in the attic if it was given to us. I'd prefer my mother to spend her limited money on something that I think will be more useful to us (like a car seat or the bouncer)...and I'm really going to try and steer her that way even though I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of huffing and puffing. I'd be happier with amazon gift cards that I could use after we have the baby then give me something I might not have a real need for.

I live in a small 2 bedroom house with no basement and crawlspace attic. Things are already tight here...and we have been doing a lot of decluttering. I also really would prefer to wear my baby then to push in a stroller.

Hmm I really hope I don't get a C-section..and I'm going to do everything to prevent that but I know sometimes there is nothing you can do. I really hope that I can carry a 10lb baby around! I mean during pregnancy we carry how many extra pounds around with us everywhere we go? I need the exercise anyways. I would also think you could rock the baby to sleep instead of walking for 3 hours? I'll probably spend more time walking in the woods then on the side of the road. I actually don't drink coffee, so hot beverages are not an issue for me. My mom lives 3 hours away so if she is up to help it will be for a visit and I'm sure she is capable of baby-wearing.... DH's parents live closer, but they work all day..but I can't see THEM baby-wearing...but then again I dont know if they would take the baby for a walk around the neighborhood either. It's doubtful they will stop by to help us out on any regular basis. Maybe they will maybe not... it seems silly to have a stroller just for the few times that our parents "might" take care of the baby and "might" want to go for a walk. I'd feel like what a waiste of $200 if we were given a fancy stroller that was only used for that purpose.

Honestly if I'm miserable and I really think it will help, then I can go out and buy one later...Everyone's situation is different and everyone's baby is different so I think our needs would be different as well. It's not like we're going to have the baby and then live on an island or something where we have no way of getting anything that we might deem necessary later... We'll have money saved up for additional items needed as well...this is something I've been planning and thinking about for a long time.

Thanks

I'll keep this in my list in Amazon as this seems like a good balance for those...4 or 5 times we might use it:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

That way if we do buy one I already have one picked out

Last edited by activia; 10-23-2013 at 09:05 AM.
activia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

[QUOTE=sarahtee;17005957]
Quote:
Originally Posted by activia

I've never been a fan of plopping a kid in something and leaving them there. 99% of the exersaucer use was when I needed to shower and he was too young to be unsupervised but too old to sit in the bouncy seat. You'll find what works for you
I agree with you 100%.. I'm not a fan of plopping a kid and leaving them there either..except when I'm doing things like cooking or taking a shower, where it's not safe to have the baby on me. Actually when I'm cooking..we have an open floor plan so I can have the baby on the floor in the living room having some floor time and still be able to watch the baby. I'd probably just wait until DH was home to shower anyways...

I actually found a bouncer/rocker that you can use through toddlerhood..

Last edited by activia; 10-23-2013 at 08:58 AM.
activia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
It will be months before I start on this list..

To Do:
Declutter kitchen, attic, shed
Declutter round 2 of rest of the house

To buy: (this is our first, we're going to have a baby shower at some point)
1. twin bed with sheets - to put against our bed and make it one.. this will require us to move a night stand to the attic
2. car seat with two bases
3. EC friendly clothing
4. diaper wet/bag basket
5. breast pump/bottles/storage bags/breast pads/breastfeeding bra
6. small potty's
7. white noise maker
8. Boppy for breastfeeding
9. diaper bag (backpack preferred)
10. We'll need something to store cloth diapers/wipes in
11. Carriers: ring sling (comfy joey), moby wrap, mei tai, and quirky baby
12. Diapers: starting off with a light stash until I find what works.. 5 of each (flip, eca pants, bum genuis), 10 prefolds, 2 prefold belts, 24 cloth wipes
13. Baby bathtub and supplies
14. bouncy seat

Purposely skipping a stroller, crib, swing, hi-chair... want to live without and with "less" first and see how it goes....
We're going with way less this time too. If I were you though, you might like having a stroller and high chair. High chairs are great even if they just sit in them and play while you make dinner. My son at 2.5 still loves stroller rides too! They aren't evil, really!

ETA: You certainly do not need a stroller or high chair right away. Just when baby gets bigger, they are nice to have. They make those high chairs that attach to the table and then those unbrella strollers that fold up really small! We have a Maclaren that we love.

Last edited by Kabuki24; 10-23-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Kabuki24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
We're going with way less this time too. If I were you though, you might like having a stroller and high chair. High chairs are great even if they just sit in them and play while you make dinner. My son at 2.5 still loves stroller rides too! They aren't evil, really!

ETA: You certainly do not need a stroller or high chair right away. Just when baby gets bigger, they are nice to have. They make those high chairs that attach to the table and then those unbrella strollers that fold up really small! We have a Maclaren that we love.
I agree when the baby gets larger a stroller would probably be nice for long days at the zoo/fair. It can def get tiring holding a 25lb + kids. I did find a decent umbrella stroller I like. It's compact, light weight..umbrella stroller.

We do not have room for a high chair. The bouncer I picked out can be used for the purpose that you stated... if that is not sufficient then we will get something that attaches to the table or a chair. Right now we use folding table and chairs! We fold the table down to half way and have two folding chairs we leave open and two we leave somewhere else for guests. Space is a premium.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I appreciate you letting me know about your experiences. I certainly wouldn't throw it away or donate it..it would most likely go in the attic if it was given to us. I'd prefer my mother to spend her limited money on something that I think will be more useful to us (like a car seat or the bouncer)...and I'm really going to try and steer her that way even though I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of huffing and puffing. I'd be happier with amazon gift cards that I could use after we have the baby then give me something I might not have a real need for.

I live in a small 2 bedroom house with no basement and crawlspace attic. Things are already tight here...and we have been doing a lot of decluttering. I also really would prefer to wear my baby then to push in a stroller.

Hmm I really hope I don't get a C-section..and I'm going to do everything to prevent that but I know sometimes there is nothing you can do. I really hope that I can carry a 10lb baby around! I mean during pregnancy we carry how many extra pounds around with us everywhere we go? I need the exercise anyways. I would also think you could rock the baby to sleep instead of walking for 3 hours? I'll probably spend more time walking in the woods then on the side of the road. I actually don't drink coffee, so hot beverages are not an issue for me. My mom lives 3 hours away so if she is up to help it will be for a visit and I'm sure she is capable of baby-wearing.... DH's parents live closer, but they work all day..but I can't see THEM baby-wearing...but then again I dont know if they would take the baby for a walk around the neighborhood either. It's doubtful they will stop by to help us out on any regular basis. Maybe they will maybe not... it seems silly to have a stroller just for the few times that our parents "might" take care of the baby and "might" want to go for a walk. I'd feel like what a waiste of $200 if we were given a fancy stroller that was only used for that purpose.

Honestly if I'm miserable and I really think it will help, then I can go out and buy one later...Everyone's situation is different and everyone's baby is different so I think our needs would be different as well. It's not like we're going to have the baby and then live on an island or something where we have no way of getting anything that we might deem necessary later... We'll have money saved up for additional items needed as well...this is something I've been planning and thinking about for a long time.

Thanks

I'll keep this in my list in Amazon as this seems like a good balance for those...4 or 5 times we might use it:

That way if we do buy one I already have one picked out
I hear all of your points. And we all have ideas and expectations before we have a child, but then reality sets in. My doula and I fully expected that I would have a beautiful, natural birth. Then my son was in distress and my doula told me that a c-section was in his best interest. Carrying a 10lb baby is all fine and dandy when you aren't recovering (slowly and painfully) from abdominal surgery and expressly prohibited from lifting/carrying that amount for good reason. As for how to get a baby to sleep, again expectations and reality often differ. I would have loved to rock him and then put him down for a peaceful nap. DS always woke up the second he was put down during the day (and not just by me) so, as you said, we had to figure out how to make things work with what we had.

My point is just not to pigeon-hole yourself with labels and feel that you have to stick to some idealized vision of parenting. As I'm sure you realize, life in the trenches is different. You will make things up as you go along. You aren't a failure as a "natural/attached/crunchy/pick your label" parent just because you have a c-section, use a stroller, give a jar of baby food, or do anything else that makes it easier to manage your own needs and the needs of your child. But I consider myself much more of a pragmatist than an ideologue.

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote