Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: June Bugs ~ To Do List

Quote:
Originally Posted by meljc View Post
My point is just not to pigeon-hole yourself with labels and feel that you have to stick to some idealized vision of parenting. As I'm sure you realize, life in the trenches is different. You will make things up as you go along. You aren't a failure as a "natural/attached/crunchy/pick your label" parent just because you have a c-section, use a stroller, give a jar of baby food, or do anything else that makes it easier to manage your own needs and the needs of your child. But I consider myself much more of a pragmatist than an ideologue.
I agree. There will be a balance..I dont expect it to be easy or perfect... There was a time when mothers managed without all of this stuff and I know of mothers who managed to do it today... so it's not an impossible goal... I don't expect to be "perfect" (there is no such thing as a perfect parent ) but I know that having strong values will make me be closer to being "ideal". There will always be exceptions but they will become exceptions instead of the rule. I don't have a problem with this, it won't be "evil".

For example, I might find that it's more comfortable to take the child in a stroller at the zoo instead of baby wearing... but I might not. Some parents prefer their child to be close to them and it's easier to not ..lose them. Some parents prefer the stroller. I might feel differently if it's 95 and sunny out. I dont want to have a miserable time at the zoo because I was soo uncomfortable because I don't want to use a stroller.

It kind of reminds me of my diet... am I 100% all the time? No, there are occasions where it is actually better to eat something off of it then not. But I still strive to be 99% (as long as it's not negatively effecting my life because stress is far worse then a a little gluten once in awhile)...that way I know I'll probably end up somewhere round 90%...and I'll be fine with that. But I don't keep donuts/cookies/etc. in the house...because if they aren't there then I have to go out to get them...and I'm therefore more likely to appease my appetite with something healthy that is available..so it makes it easier to stick to my plan. If I'm at a family dinner (thanksgiving/Christmas), and I know they probably used an ingredient I would not eat...I still eat and enjoy it with the family with no guilt. I plan to take the same approach with child rearing.

Sometimes things are beyond your control.... I will do everything to NOT have a c-section but if it comes down to endangering my child, then of course I will. If I can't lift my child, then of course I'll go for a walk in a stroller until I recover.. you do the best you can do. I want to exclusively breastfeed...but if I have a preemie it could cause me never to get my milk in.. or a slew of other reasons. I'll do everything I can to be successful... by getting the info up front and being in contact with the la leche club, and making sure someone from la leche is available after the birth. But if it doesnt work out...I'll probably do a combination of donor milk/homemade formula.

As long as I give it my best effort, then I know I am doing right by my child. I'll do everything I can to set myself up for success, but if it doesnt work out I have a back-up plan

PS: I honestly could care less about "labels"... it's never been about that... It's about doing what I feel is best for our family...and experience will mold us on our journey.

Advertisement

Last edited by activia; 10-23-2013 at 10:59 AM.
activia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #22
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activia View Post
I agree when the baby gets larger a stroller would probably be nice for long days at the zoo/fair. It can def get tiring holding a 25lb + kids. I did find a decent umbrella stroller I like. It's compact, light weight..umbrella stroller.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

We do not have room for a high chair. The bouncer I picked out can be used for the purpose that you stated... if that is not sufficient then we will get something that attaches to the table or a chair. Right now we use folding table and chairs! We fold the table down to half way and have two folding chairs we leave open and two we leave somewhere else for guests. Space is a premium.
Oh wow! You are cramped!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
Oh wow! You are cramped!
Yes..we actually gave up some of our dining space so that I could get a dishwasher and a tiny island in the kitchen that gives me some much needed counter/cabinet space since I do a ton of cooking. We are living in 980 sq ft..which includes our utility room with the furnace/hot water heater/washer/dryer. We have one bathroom, and a very small second bedroom that I have to use as the office as I work from home 4 days a week... we'll have a dresser in here for the baby but the baby will sleep with us and nap in our bedroom. I kind of feel like a changing table would be a waste of space...for something we could easily do on a matt on the bed, or get a little changing tabletop that goes on top of my long dresser. When space is a real premium you have to really think twice about everything you are bringing in.

We want to sell this house and buy a larger one in a different less expensive area but we bought it during the down slope of the market..and it hasn't recovered enough for us to be able to sell for what we owe. We're hoping in another year or two. We can make it work for a baby...but I can't imagine having two kids here which is what we eventually want.

So Minimalism is a bit of a necessity for us if we dont literally want to be tripping over stuff at every turn.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #24
geetabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by activia
I kind of feel like a changing table would be a waste of space...for something we could easily do on a matt on the bed, or get a little changing tabletop that goes on top of my long dresser.
We are not hurting for space, but we have a two story house and at one point we had 2 kiddos in diapers and I didn't want to have two changing tables, so we bought a contoured changing pad (that goes on a changing table) an put it on top of a dresser in the girls' room. It works great!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #25
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Yes..we actually gave up some of our dining space so that I could get a dishwasher and a tiny island in the kitchen that gives me some much needed counter/cabinet space since I do a ton of cooking. We are living in 980 sq ft..which includes our utility room with the furnace/hot water heater/washer/dryer. We have one bathroom, and a very small second bedroom that I have to use as the office as I work from home 4 days a week... we'll have a dresser in here for the baby but the baby will sleep with us and nap in our bedroom. I kind of feel like a changing table would be a waste of space...for something we could easily do on a matt on the bed, or get a little changing tabletop that goes on top of my long dresser. When space is a real premium you have to really think twice about everything you are bringing in.

We want to sell this house and buy a larger one in a different less expensive area but we bought it during the down slope of the market..and it hasn't recovered enough for us to be able to sell for what we owe. We're hoping in another year or two. We can make it work for a baby...but I can't imagine having two kids here which is what we eventually want.

So Minimalism is a bit of a necessity for us if we dont literally want to be tripping over stuff at every turn.
We have a 3 bedroom/2 bath, 2,000 square foot home for myself, DH and DS. One bedroom, our dining room and laundry room are completely jammed packed full of inventory (for the diaper business). We use the downstairs bathroom for empty boxes (from inventory) waiting to go out to recycling. All of our Christmas decorations are in my DS's room. The only place for a new baby will be our closet in our bedroom or I'm considering actually just putting a mattress in our upstairs living room for me and the new baby. We need to move so badly! Not much room for new baby and business!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #26
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
We have a 3 bedroom/2 bath, 2,000 square foot home for myself, DH and DS. One bedroom, our dining room and laundry room are completely jammed packed full of inventory (for the diaper business). We use the downstairs bathroom for empty boxes (from inventory) waiting to go out to recycling. All of our Christmas decorations are in my DS's room. The only place for a new baby will be our closet in our bedroom or I'm considering actually just putting a mattress in our upstairs living room for me and the new baby. We need to move so badly! Not much room for new baby and business!
Hmm have you considered renting out a storage unit for your inventory? Then it wouldn't be so intrusive. If you have land you could also build a shed to store the inventory.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #27
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Here's my list as of today, I'm sure lots will be added to it come the spring!

-we need a new car that will fit the newbie, we are thinking a nissan nv 3500 that seats 12, we will probably buy in may .
-newborn and small diaper stash, my plan is to get 36 nb nanas bottoms fitteds, 36 small nanas bottoms fitteds, a dozen nb prefolds and lots of thirsties xsmall and small covers and some fleece wrap covers, I will need 36 more cloth wipes as well.
-convertible carseat
-mei tai with no padding so its good to use with a brand new newbie, just haven't figured out which brand will be perfect yet.
-go through all my baby clothes once we find out the sex of the baby.
- we homeschool and we are super relaxed but i still want to make sure we do what I have planned for the year and be done with it all by June, I also want to have my letter and plan for the school district all ready for them for 14/15 school year so I'm not trying to get that done with a newborn over the summer.

Deirdre~ Wife to Joe & Momma to Emily {May 2007}, Lilly {November 2008}, Joseph {July 2010}, Maggie {July 2012} & Expecting a newbie {June 2014}. Sent from my iPad using DS forum.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #28
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Hmm have you considered renting out a storage unit for your inventory? Then it wouldn't be so intrusive. If you have land you could also build a shed to store the inventory.
I could but that would mean leaving my house every night to ship and do inventory. Sometimes we ship for hours.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #29
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love our 980square feet home. It was 700, until this summer we added on a little so I don't go crazy in our long winters. And we just needed more space. But I do have a basement/crawlspace for our furnace, water heater, and I store our off season clothes down stairs in those huge rubbermaid containers.But now I feel like I have a big house

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #30
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadeeof4+
Here's my list as of today, I'm sure lots will be added to it come the spring!

-we need a new car that will fit the newbie, we are thinking a nissan nv 3500 that seats 12, we will probably buy in may .
-newborn and small diaper stash, my plan is to get 36 nb nanas bottoms fitteds, 36 small nanas bottoms fitteds, a dozen nb prefolds and lots of thirsties xsmall and small covers and some fleece wrap covers, I will need 36 more cloth wipes as well.
-convertible carseat
-mei tai with no padding so its good to use with a brand new newbie, just haven't figured out which brand will be perfect yet.
-go through all my baby clothes once we find out the sex of the baby.
- we homeschool and we are super relaxed but i still want to make sure we do what I have planned for the year and be done with it all by June, I also want to have my letter and plan for the school district all ready for them for 14/15 school year so I'm not trying to get that done with a newborn over the summer.

Deirdre~ Wife to Joe & Momma to Emily {May 2007}, Lilly {November 2008}, Joseph {July 2010}, Maggie {July 2012} & Expecting a newbie {June 2014}. Sent from my iPad using DS forum.
Your list looks so similar to mine :-)

We looked at Nissen NV but were not thrilled with the safety rating/ gas mileage compared with what we have now. I think we are planning on adding a " little seat" to our excursion.

I'm a super strict homeschooler so I'm mapping out a plan this weekend of exactly what lessons will need to be done when to finish by May 15th. Except for some of the older kids who do work on their own. They can keep going into summer if they need/want to.

Even though this bean wasn't planned, he/she sure had good timing for this homeschool mom ;-)
and Ian (born 6/5/14)
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote