Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

Little bf babies?

I always figured it was normal for a bf baby to be tiny since there's nothing in bm than what they need. Both my girls are rather petite. Well I have been looking at pics of other bf babies and they are chubby and have all the cute little rolls. Do you think my bm doesn't have enough calories? Little Nora is only the 15th percentile for weight. Only a little over 11lbs at her 4 month check up. She has gained but she's such a peanut. Is there anything I can do to make my bm have more calories? She has reflux so I know that doesn't help since she spits up so much. But I just worry. She's so tiny.

Any suggestions? Maybe I just have little babies

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
Sweetpotatoesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Little bf babies?

I'm not sure about calories. I do know that the hind milk has more fat which is good for gaining weight and brain development. The hind milk is the milk that comes after the fore milk(sp). Basically the trick is to keep her on one breast and even offer the same one 2 feedings in a row.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

She may just be small. Some one has to be in the 15th percentile.
I learned this after getting an IUGR diagnoses for my Little one when i was pregnant.
Just make sure you offer the same breast at the next feeding so baby gets enough hind milk.
There is nothing wrong with being small. we focus too much on big chubby babies and how cute they are, but in reality, forcing calories and food they dont need, just leads to obese kids!
You are doing the best for your baby. As long as she is not losing weight and is gaining on a curve, your BM is fine! All you can do is make sure you are eating enough, taking good care of yourself and getting enough calories for you. You need about 500 extra when nursing.
Good luck!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mother is a CLC and she said that the "Stay on one breast for a whole feeding" has pretty much been disproved and that it really depends on how efficient the baby is at drawing out the fat thats located in the glands(gee, she could explain it so much better then me.).. However it can't hurt to try that and see if it helps..I nurse for about 5 minutes on both sides and my son is in the 95th percentile so I can't really say what really works. However I don't diet really so I'm taking in calories...maybe that helps??? haha..who knows! If she is not losing(like PP said) and is meeting milestones, I really wouldn't worry about it..

Last edited by Mommy2LivandNoah; 05-26-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Mommy2LivandNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
Emily Whited
Registered Users
seller

How big were your little ones at birth? My son was 9lbs and was in like the 90th % but then by two months was down to 35% and has stayed there since (15 months now). As long as they follow the scale in the same % once they level out, (they might be bigger at birth and then fall like mine) they seem to be ok. Like another mama said make sure they are getting the hind milk that has more fat but other then that don't worry. You are doing a great job mama and our bodies know what our babies need.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Whited View Post
How big were your little ones at birth? My son was 9lbs and was in like the 90th % but then by two months was down to 35% and has stayed there since (15 months now). As long as they follow the scale in the same % once they level out, (they might be bigger at birth and then fall like mine) they seem to be ok. Like another mama said make sure they are getting the hind milk that has more fat but other then that don't worry. You are doing a great job mama and our bodies know what our babies need.
dd1 was 8lbs 3oz and dd2 was 7lb8oz. They just seemed to start bigger and just gain slowly. Dh and I are not large people so I guess it would make sense. I'm just the only person in my family who is bf'ing. All the other babies seem so huge compared to mine. I don't want huge kids. I just want them healthy.

As far as the hind milk goes, I am pretty sure she gets enough. She nurses on one side until she doesn't get anymore before she switchs.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
kelsey78
Registered Users
seller

You may just have little babies. Yours are bigger than mine though. DS,1 yr old, is only in 3rd percentile for weight, he is breast fed. DD, pushing 4yrs old, is low too and has dropped off the charts many times, and she was formula fed. But they are both healthy and developing great. They eat all the time too.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
bean3
Registered Users
seller

I think kids do what they want...period. My son was formula fed and was a big baby, even at birth (8 lb 12 oz and almost straight into 0-3 month clothes). My DD was breastfed and fell off the growth charts a few years back (she is 6 now and wears a 3-4T). She was 7 lb 11 oz, but she came out wearing preemie clothes for 6 weeks!

Kids beat to their own drum. They keep periodically getting "worried" about her lack of size, but she is just as healthy and overly intelligent as all of her peers. In fact, she is usually advanced of them.

I'm not concerned.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think that it is genetically predetermined to a certain extent....i'm a pretty small person(dd#2 was 6 3 at birth....) but both of my dds gained weight really well and were both over 20 lbs at their 6 month check on 100% breastmilk. Both had/have completely different nursing patterns so I think they are just doing what genetics is making them do.
all of those charts are annoying cause as long as your babe is getting breastfed and is healthly and happy, who cares - we all end up being diffent sized adults in the end
Old 05-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

If she is gaining and happy, I wouldn't worry about her weight. 15th percentile is normal.
I have the huge fat chubby 95th pecentile bf baby variety. A close friend of mine bfs her kiddos and they are just as healthy and happy as mine but in the 5th percentile. It is always hard not to compare them. When they (each of our youngest) were 5 months old, mine looked like a blob just sitting, while hers was crawling circles around him and taking his toys. He started walking and talking before she did... they are just different kiddos.