Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #11
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Little bf babies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
You are doing the best for your baby. As long as she is not losing weight and is gaining on a curve, your BM is fine!
Agreed!! My youngest (almost 6 mo.) just saw her ped. on Thursday and she is only 14 lbs. 2 oz. and she had just had a 5 oz. bottle (BM) right before weighing in. She is in the 18th percentile for weight and while her Dr. does want to keep an eye on her (her brother fell off the charts around this age and lost weight, couldn't keep food/bm/formula down....very scary) she has assured me that like the pp said as long as she stays on the curve and doesn't have a drastic drop-off she is more than likely just "small" and small is ok. What's your baby's height? Ava's in the 39th percentile for her height so it's likely she is just petite. (And that means less ache in my back.... )

Advertisement

(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:36 PM   #12
OnlyWomanInTheHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: chasingprisms
seller

My Mood:

My DS has aways been in the 5-10% for weight. He's 9 mos, 15.13 lbs, and 27.5 in long. Healthy, happy, meeting milestones, and perfect!

OnlyWomanInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #13
BRIDEN
Registered Users
Formerly: brveille
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first one was always in teh 25th percentile for weight adn the 95th for weight and he was bf until he was about 8m. I wouldnt worry about it. With that said, he is now 46lb (90th) and 45in (95th). As long as your little one is gaining, dontworry about it
Old 05-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #14
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure it is just her makeup. ALL my babies have been big, but this last one is the only BF one. I hear all the time that he is big because I am BFing, yet with the others I heard people say they were big because they were on formula.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:06 AM   #15
YummyYarnAddict
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Every baby is different. As long as your baby is healthy, is growing well and hitting developmental milestones, I would try not to worry unless your mommy instincts are telling you otherwise. My dd (now 5yo) was exclusively bf and was 6#3oz, 18.5" long at birth (born on her due date). She was a chunkster and was 16# by 4months and 22# before she was a year old. Totally rolly polly and round at 95th %tile for length and weight. (Now at 5yo, she's still proportionate at 90th %tile for ht/wt.) My son was 7#5oz, 22.5" long at birth (day before his due date... oh, and since I did IVF I'm sure about my dates!), also exclusively breastfed. He's long and lean at 10mos just over 17# but 30" long and below the 10th %tile for weight. Neither the ped nor I are worried as he's ahead of the game on all of his developmental milestones (getting ready to walk and a very happy little guy, babbling all the time, saying "sissy!" and waving, etc.).

I have a great milk supply and nurse on one side at each session and around the clock. Both kiddos have had great appetites. It's just the way they grow. So if everything else seems on track, I would try not to worry too much.
YummyYarnAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:47 PM   #16
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

i had enough milk for like 3 kids with ds 1 and he has always been in the lower end (i'm talking under 10%), ds2 same thing but in the 20 some odd %.....now ds 3 is gigantic....it just varies mama. as long as she's following her curve and meeting milestones i wouldn't worry

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #17
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I haven't read through all the replies, so I don't know if this has been asked, but are the growth charts you're referring to her being in the 15th percentile in the breastfed baby charts, or the more commonly used formula fed baby charts? That can make a difference.

My DD has always been a slow gainer. But I attribute it to the fact taht she's ALWAYS on the go...she's been a mover and a shaker since she was in utero, so she just burns calories like five times faster than she can pack them on.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:48 PM   #18
phantomripples
Banned

some babies are just tiny.

my sisters babys are very very petit -- but healthly as can be.
phantomripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:38 PM   #19
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

My third baby was the first one I breastfed. He was chunky from birth to about 8 months old, then he magically slimmed down. And it wasn't from becoming mobile, either--he wasn't crawling and he was nowhere near cruising/walking. He did not eat solids, either. He's just small.

My first baby (formula fed) is also very tiny. My second baby (formula fed) is thick, and so far my baby (breastfed) is thick, too.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:05 PM   #20
small_wonders_wipes
Registered Users
seller

My daughter was "slow to gain", which worried us for a while, until we realized that she was just fine. She stayed consistently in the 10-15th percentile but developed well. We had a rough start with nursing, but we eventually figured it out. She is just lean. We always called her our "banana baby" LOL Her daddy is tall and lean, so it would just make sense that she is going to be like him. She is starting to look a little more "meaty" now that she is 2 years old, but she has a cousin that is 1 year younger and he only weighs one pound less than her!

I am excited to meet my next little girl and see how she eats and gains. I do know that this time I will be much more calm and relaxed about nursing and weight checks.
small_wonders_wipes is offline   Reply With Quote