Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2007, 11:12 PM   #21
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Little bf babies?

I've got a bitty boob babe. Taci was 8lbs 4oz at birth,today at 14 1/2 months she weights just 17lbs 1oz and she's short too at 27 inches

Advertisement

Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:19 PM   #22
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd was tall and thin, but super super healthy on my milk alone. Smart peds recognize that BF babies gain weight differently than formula fed babies.
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:33 AM   #23
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Every baby is different but you do have to trust your instincts. DJ was a chunk. He was almost 6 weeks early, 6 lbs at birth but he gained a pound a week for a while! He was a butterball on just breastmilk. Of course, once he started walking, he slimmed right down and now he just looks like a healthy little boy. When James came along, I figured he'd be the same. He was 8-6 when he was born, lost 6 oz. in the hospital, then was back to almost 9 pounds at his one week checkup. So everything was fine. Then he was sick and I took him to the doc at about 3.5 weeks and he had not gained anything. So we went back for a weight check a week later and he had only gained an ounce or two. The thing is, he was nursing well (I think). I mean, by all indications he was. I felt "full" at the beginning of a feeding and "empty" afterward. He started out fussy, then was content afterwards. When I pumped, I usually pumped 5 oz. or so at a time. When he took a bottle of ebm, guess what, he took about 5 oz. He had plenty of wet and poopy diapers. He was not a fussy baby...actually very laid back compared to DJ. He was never really "into" nursing the way DJ was...it was like he could take it or leave it...he certainly didn't act like he was starving! The only problem we had was reflux (he spit up more than I'd have liked but not nearly everything he was eating) and these recurring respiratory problems. Anyway, for the next couple of months, we were in the ped's office usually twice a week for weight checks or sick visits because of the respiratory problems. They put him on Zantac and Reglan for the reflux. His doc was somewhat concerned about his weight gain but I just kept saying that he was fine and maybe he was just going to be long and skinny. She said that he should be gaining an ounce a day (I think that was it..it's all kind of fuzzy now) but that as long as he was having wet and dirty diapers, he was probably ok and was just on his own schedule, not ours. When he was 3.5 months, we took him to the urgent care one evening because of the wheezing and struggling to breathe. He was 10.5 pounds at that point. They put him in an ambulance and sent him to the children's hospital. That was the scariest night of my life. It was horrible too because the doctors and nurses kept asking me how much he ate and I would tell them he's breastfed on demand. Every time I said it I felt so stupid! Apparently he had a lot of things going on, there was the reflux, the respiratory stuff, his white blood count was through the roof. They were asking about his behavior and I said he's just laid back. Is he rolling over yet? Umm...well, he's in the sling most of the time (can't put him on the floor with a 2 year old running around) but he might have rolled over...can't really remember. Anyway, he's only 3 months...it's still early, right? Does he smile and laugh? Yeah, he smiles...

They started him on antibiotics and one of the docs said that even though he seemed like he was hydrated, she wanted to give him IV fluids just to see. It was about 4 a.m. by then so they started the IVs and we all went to sleep. When we woke up, he was a different child! He was rolling and scooting around the crib! He was smiling and laughing and really responding when you talked to him. He even started filling out right away. I wanted to crawl in a hole and die! The baby I thought was just laid back had apparently been lethargic because he was starving to death!! But how could we know? He'd been like that since he was born...and how can you tell with a 3-month old? There's a very fine line between content and easy going and lethargic! It turns out that in addition to what he was spitting up, a lot of the reflux was apparently going into his sinuses and into his chest. And, like I said, there were probably some other things going on too (virus or bacteria). After a few days in the hospital, he was in MUCH better shape but I was beating myself up. Our ped kept reassuring me that it was not a problem with my milk, that he just apparently hadn't been keeping down much of what he was eating. Still, for my own peace of mind, I started supplementing with either ebm or formula just because it made me feel better to see how much he was drinking. He started gaining weight and the respiratory problems got better. They changed him to prevacid which he's off of now altogether. He's still pretty easy going compared to his high-maintenance brother but he's a whole different child now.

So I'm not telling you this to scare you, just to say trust your gut...if something doesn't feel right, listen to that feeling. If she's well proportioned and appears healthy and is meeting her milestones and has a good temperament, then she's probably ok. But if you do have doubts, don't ignore them. I don't know what to tell you to do, but listen to your heart...

Here's a pic of James about a month before he went in the hospital:

and here he is in March:

I think as mothers we'll find something to beat ourselves about no matter what but sometimes I worry now because he's actually too chunky. He's almost 26 pounds at 10 months. DH and I are both overweight so I worry that maybe he's gone too far the other way but he is so much healthier and happier now. Who knows?
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #24
tjcjlc99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

may just be small babies. dd1 was bf for 6mo, and for most the time was at the VERy low end of the charts, and is still barely on them. dd2 was the opposite, always on the chart. they weigh the same now. so every child is different.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #25
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

WooHoo! So I had to take the girls to the dr tonight b/c I thought they had ear infections (they didn't but that's besides the point) They weighed Nora and she was 12 lbs 12oz. That 1lb1oz gain in a little under a month. I was so happy. I thought she was feeling a little chunkier
Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #26
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's genetic. My DS was a stringbean too. Not a darn thing really you can do about it.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #27
Punkymom
Registered Users

My DD was almost exclusively bfed for the first year and I continued to nurse her until she was 2. I fed on demand and coslept and nursed on demand throughout the night as well. She weighed 14 lbs at a year old. She was full term at birth weighing 6 lbs 8 oz. My son? Full term, 9 lbs 3 oz and he gained weight like it was going out of style! DD was always a skinny minny (still is) and only ever had baby fat on her thighs. I would not worry about it! As long as there is a steady growth chart (the curve goes up steadily) then I'm sure everything is fine. I got grief from strangers that I wasn't feeding her enough but I just ignored them (she was developmentally on and her ped wasn't worried and he NEVER advised me to supplement - he did advise me to feed her whenever she wanted, though) and now my petite 5 y/o (who wears 3T) is very healthy and is still not on ANY growth chart for children her age. I think she weighs 28 lbs or so.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #28
sweetppolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

One of my dd's is a Nora too

I am small and my biggest baby out of four was only a little over seven pounds at birth.

My oldest two were bottle fed and my last two breast and they have all been skinny babies except this newest one is short and stout. So, if anything, breast feeding made a bigger baby for me. I definitely think genetics plays a part, diet plays a part and health issues can play a part.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:40 PM   #29
littlebean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first two were bottle fed and my son was enormous and then my daughter was petite. Then I went on to have 3 more and breastfed them. First two bf babies were itty bitty. Both only weighing 15 lbs at 1 year. They were very healthy but just itty bitty. My current bf baby is a super chunk at 9 months and 22 lbs. To look at the 4 older ones they are all stick thin despite my oldest son being a chunker lol. I havent found and rhyme or reason to it all. Im very small myself so wouldnt have guessed I would any chunky babies let alone two of them. But I did catch greif from the WIC office for them being off the charts below the 5th percentile.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:13 AM   #30
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A good indication of too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk is green poop.
from
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html

One thing about the growth charts in Peds offices is that they are based on and supplied by formula companies.

There is some good info below...
Growth charts and breastfed baby growth in the link I posted.