Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,844
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meljc View Post
Isn't your DD sensitive to exposed PUL? Or am I remembering incorrectly, either way you should try Grovia if you haven't yet! No extra "fullness" in the back when padfolding :-)
Yes my dd is sensitive to exposed PUL but I discovered it's only when she gets hot in it (like during the summer) and I found a new way to padfold to cover the main parts of the cover so its ok as long as I rotate the PUL with non PUL covers through the day. All the cute new covers have exposed PUL these days.

What do you mean when you say no extra fullness in the back when padfolding? Like no 2x4? And if so how does Grovia eliminate that?

Advertisement

__________________
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Socialist. Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Trade Unionist.Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me - Martin Niemöller

Last edited by ReadingRenee; 10-23-2013 at 12:00 PM.
ReadingRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,422
Re: I want to try a new cover, any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingRenee View Post
Yes my dd is sensitive to exposed PUL but I discovered it's only when she gets hot in it (like during the summer) and I found a new way to padfold to cover the main parts of the cover so its ok as long as I rotate the PUL with non PUL covers through the day. All the cute new covers have exposed PUL these days.

What do you mean when you say no extra fullness in the back when padfolding? Like no 2x4? And if so how does Grovia eliminate that?
I wasn't referring to the 2x4 issue, though Trenna(?) has the non-pad padfold thread and I sometimes use that.

I meant that my DS has a tiny tush and hips and other covers (notably Thirsties and Diaper Safari) seem to droop on the sides of his butt and don't hold a padfolded flat in place very snugly. Grovia doesn't have the extra space in the rear. So while it doesn't really work for fitteds (except "bikini style") it's SO nice for flats or prefolds. The mesh also holds inserts in place nicely so they don't slide or bunch as much. Depending on the size of your flats the crotch might require just a little adjustment to get the pad fully inside -- Imagine Bamboo and Flip fit no problem, Blueberry cotton fits with a little tucking.

ETA: "Baggy" is the word I was looking for to describe Thirsties and DS. Sorry, took me a minute there ;-) Since I see your avi pic is your DD in a Thirsties, I will say that for reference my DS is 2yo 27lbs and needed the smallest rise and aplix touching/overlapping when I put a blueberry flat padfolded in a duo size 2.
__________________
workin' wife and mama

Great customer service from:



Last edited by meljc; 10-23-2013 at 12:42 PM.
meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,844
My Mood:
Re: I want to try a new cover, any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meljc View Post
I wasn't referring to the 2x4 issue, though Trenna(?) has the non-pad padfold thread and I sometimes use that.

I meant that my DS has a tiny tush and hips and other covers (notably Thirsties and Diaper Safari) seem to droop on the sides of his butt and don't hold a padfolded flat in place very snugly. Grovia doesn't have the extra space in the rear. So while it doesn't really work for fitteds (except "bikini style") it's SO nice for flats or prefolds. The mesh also holds inserts in place nicely so they don't slide or bunch as much. Depending on the size of your flats the crotch might require just a little adjustment to get the pad fully inside -- Imagine Bamboo and Flip fit no problem, Blueberry cotton fits with a little tucking.
Oh I know what you mean, and yes the exact same thing happens to us. Ok, those sound pretty nice for padfolding AND for PUL sensitivity, I think you sold me. So a question about the Grovia. Do the aplix hold up well? I really like the look of the aplix better than the snaps on the Grovia because of the contrasting color band across the top. But, I don't want a cover that will die on me before PL.
__________________
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Socialist. Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Trade Unionist.Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me - Martin Niemöller
ReadingRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,422
Re: I want to try a new cover, any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingRenee View Post
Oh I know what you mean, and yes the exact same thing happens to us. Ok, those sound pretty nice for padfolding AND for PUL sensitivity, I think you sold me. So a question about the Grovia. Do the aplix hold up well? I really like the look of the aplix better than the snaps on the Grovia because of the contrasting color band across the top. But, I don't want a cover that will die on me before PL.
I only have Grobaby H&L so I can't comment on the durability of the improved Grovia H&L, but I do notice in pictures I've seen that some of the loop panels fade considerably if they are dried in the dryer or left in the sun for too long (very noticeable on cloud and planes, not sure about newer ones) so keep that in mind if it's mostly an aesthetic consideration. That issue may have been addressed, because I don't really see it with some solids or with the newer prints that are on FSOT. FWIW the Grovia snap configuration is very usable and the back elastic is so stretchy that you never really feel like you're between sizes. The good news is that things move smoothly and quickly on the Grovia B/S/T group on facebook if you decide you don't like it, especially for something "hot" like persimmon.
__________________
workin' wife and mama

Great customer service from:


meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,844
My Mood:
Re: I want to try a new cover, any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meljc View Post
I only have Grobaby H&L so I can't comment on the durability of the improved Grovia H&L, but I do notice in pictures I've seen that some of the loop panels fade considerably if they are dried in the dryer or left in the sun for too long (very noticeable on cloud and planes, not sure about newer ones) so keep that in mind if it's mostly an aesthetic consideration. That issue may have been addressed, because I don't really see it with some solids or with the newer prints that are on FSOT. FWIW the Grovia snap configuration is very usable and the back elastic is so stretchy that you never really feel like you're between sizes. The good news is that things move smoothly and quickly on the Grovia B/S/T group on facebook if you decide you don't like it, especially for something "hot" like persimmon.

Thanks for that very detailed informative reply. I never thought about the loop panels fading. Sounds like I maybe should stick to snaps. Thanks!
__________________
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Socialist. Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Trade Unionist.Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me - Martin Niemöller
ReadingRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #16
lesliek0211's Avatar
lesliek0211
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 660
Re: I want to try a new cover, any suggestions?

I loved grovia and used tri-fold prefolds with them.
lesliek0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
moonlightblonde's Avatar
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBecks View Post
The new Bummis Simply Lite? I like Capris and GV too. And Sweet Peas just came out with some super cute prints!
Do you have the new patterns in?
__________________
Amber::
Mama to Brooklyn Marie 7/10/08 , Team green turned PINK Rebecca Rose 4/19/2012 & something new coming late March 2014
moonlightblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #18
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 898
I love my one size wool cover for my 6 month old! I made it myself using one of my pockets for a pattern.
__________________
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" -A. Einstein
Jomama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #19
madmollyann's Avatar
madmollyann
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: VT
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24
Sweet Pea have become crazy popular.
Love the sweet pea!
madmollyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
MomBecks's Avatar
MomBecks
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Posts: 2,820
Re: I want to try a new cover, any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightblonde View Post
Do you have the new patterns in?
Yes I do
__________________
SAHM, homeschooling mama to 5 crazy munchkins.
MomBecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.