Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
kp1986
Registered Users

5 month old waking up nearly constantly to feed

My formerly through the night 4 month old sleeper has turned into a every half hour booby-holic 5.5 month old. It definitely isn't a supply issue, as I wake up engorged every morning, and he refuses to take a bottle, or paci, and wants nothing to do with my husband. I either end up passing out with him in the rocker, his crib, or our bed. It has been going on for three weeks. He won't sleep more than 10 minutes by himself for a nap either. I have tried swaddling, side sleeping, inclined sleeping. The most I can get is 3 hours if I am lucky. My 3 year old wasn't like this. Help!

Advertisement

kp1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: 5 month old waking up nearly constantly to feed

I cosleep for this reason. I just allow night nursing while I sleep. Is that an option for you. Sounds like a growth spurt. THey also go through a sleep regression around 4 months old as well.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Yep, we coslept for this reason as well. My DD needed to nurse almost all night and this way I was able to sleep through most of it. Sorry I'm not any help, just wanted to say it's normal. Hopefully someone else will have some suggestions for you!
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
kp1986
Registered Users

I have been cosleeping at least part of the night the past few weeks, but I don't sleep well when he is in the bed with me either. I am nervous he will roll off the bed, get smothered in blankets, or get smashed by my husband or I.
kp1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I sidecar the crib. I used to use a bedrail to make sure the baby did not roll off. I only wear blankets waist high when they are under 6 months or make sure baby is not covered. I have never rolled on the baby nor my DH. I think you just "know" they are there.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Almost definitely the 4 month sleep regression. Babysleepsite has great info on it.

Beyond that, are you sure he's waking to eat? He's prolly just waking.

My DS eats every hour during the day, every 2 at night. At night if he wakes up every hour, I do not feed him. If I do it once, then its a snack and he will wake up every hour after that to continue snacking. It gets into an unbreakable cycle. If I catch it the first time and just rock, then we get back on our 2 hr schedule. Its hard cause I know I could nurse him back down easier. But then its not a full feed and it'll be all night long.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
roseinthewinter
Registered Users
seller

I am in the same boat! My 5 month old is going thru this. We co-sleep but none of us are sleeping well right now. My movement disturbs her...she disturbs me...and DH just wants his wife alone once in awhile..its tough!
roseinthewinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
indievaleree
Registered Users

Sounds like cluster feeding/growth spurt.
indievaleree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Littlelovesnursery
Registered Users

My Mood:

mine did this too...it not HUNGRY and only wants to comfort nurse try just rubbing baby's back or little snuggles. It's hard..I feel for you
Littlelovesnursery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
powell7311
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has never slept through the night.. it gets discouraging when my friends babies are sleeping through the night already.. They are all about the same age..6 months. We co-sleep as well.. its just easier since he wants to nurse every hour. One set of parents and our pediatrician discourage it but it works for us..
powell7311 is offline   Reply With Quote