Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
GiannasMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question grrr I hate pumping!! HELP??

ok, my daughter is almost 6 months old , and I have been fighting and fighting from day one (I mean serioulsy fighting, I've tried everything I've ever seen suggested) to get a good milk supply in. BUT I CAN'T PUMP!! What they heck!!I pump for 30 min and I'm like if I get half an ounce sometimes soemtimes sometimes if dd hasn't nursed in 2-3 hours I'll get a full ounce. WHATS THE DEAL? I have a friend that can pump 12 oz in 20 min. My MIL is coming down tomorrow night and she is staying for a week and wants to go runnign around with my dd and she said that I need to pump so she can give her bottles. UMMMM I CAN'T!! and I have been working so hard to not give her formula anymore. Any other suggestions? Like I said I think I've tried everything that there is to try, but to no avail. So I'm willing to try anything.

oh.. I use a medela pump in style advance (was told it's one of the best pumps, or was)

TIA

Advertisement

Last edited by GiannasMommy; 05-26-2007 at 10:00 PM.
GiannasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
MNmomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: grrr I hate pumping!! HELP??

I would strongly recommend seeing a lactation consultant and personally, my PISA did not work the greatest for me - I eventually needed the hospital grade pump (I only pump a little for the first 4 months, but then my DD went on a nursing strike that never ended and I am still pumping and she's months).

I would try renting one if you could to see if that make a difference.

GL!

MNmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
GiannasMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNmomma View Post
I would strongly recommend seeing a lactation consultant and personally, my PISA did not work the greatest for me - I eventually needed the hospital grade pump (I only pump a little for the first 4 months, but then my DD went on a nursing strike that never ended and I am still pumping and she's months).

GL!
what makes the hospital grade pump better then the medela one? does it suck/pump harder then the medela or what? I guess I just don't understand what makes it better or worse... I keep being told that some women just can't pump, and that I'm one of em.... HOW MUCH DOES THAT SUCK lol
Old 05-26-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
MNmomma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiannasMommy View Post
what makes the hospital grade pump better then the medela one? does it suck/pump harder then the medela or what? I guess I just don't understand what makes it better or worse... I keep being told that some women just can't pump, and that I'm one of em.... HOW MUCH DOES THAT SUCK lol
Medela makes hospital grade ones - like the lactina or symphony (my favorite). I found that that pumped more efficiently than my PISA - hard to explain, but they just pumped better.. I would use my PISA and pump 2oz in 30 min and with the better quality pump get anywhere from 8 to 15 oz (depending on the time of day). I could actually get more with the Harmony (the medela handpump) than I ever could get with my PISA.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
MNmomma
Registered Users
seller

Forgot to mention, some women have better luck pumping with a handsfree bra

Old 05-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
whiterabbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you pump every day at the same time? It took my body quite awhile to adjust to pumping, but eventually I was able to pump milk for my baby. Oh, and what you can pump out is not what your milk supply is. Some mamas just can't pump, but I hope you're not one of them!

I love ducks and bunnies. Especially bunnies.
whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
GiannasMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
Do you pump every day at the same time? It took my body quite awhile to adjust to pumping, but eventually I was able to pump milk for my baby. Oh, and what you can pump out is not what your milk supply is. Some mamas just can't pump, but I hope you're not one of them!
I pump in the am after she eats, then I pump after she goes to bed, then I pump before I go to bed (usually 2-3 hrs after she goes to bed) EVERY DAY plus she nurses about 7-10 times through out the day. Total pumped is 1.5 oz each day. I freeze an ounce for her veggies, then .5 oz for her cereal the next morn.

oh and I drink a gal of water each day LITERALLY. the days I don't drink that water I have to give her formula. Its killing me. people keep saying that if you work at it you can get it to increase. And I hear about womne that can make milk come from no where in order to bf an adopted baby, and here I can't bf my own lol

I just wish I knew what I was doing wrong.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
whiterabbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! Then I think what you're getting is normal. I thought you were a WOHM pumping away from your dd. If she's nursing 7-10 times a day and eating, why do you need to give her formula if you don't mind me asking?

I love ducks and bunnies. Especially bunnies.
whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:14 PM   #9
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried pumping on one breast, while she is nursing on the other? If you are pumping after she's just eaten, you may be tapped out by that point.

I think you'll find doing it this way to get more milk pumped, and your body will soon regulate to the increased demand for milk, in turn allowing you to produce more.

Another tip....eat oatmeal.....not sure why it works, but it does wonders for supply.
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:09 AM   #10
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNmomma View Post

GL!