Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
K&Bmama
Registered Users

Thrush? Please help, I'm starting to hate BF'ing!

I posted a thread a few days ago about how my areolas were insanely itchy, and everyone said that it was probably thrush. Now my nipples hurt really badly when he eats, and my boobs constantly feel like they're being poked with needles in random spots. I am pretty sure it is thrush. My question though, is can it still be thrush if the baby has no signs of it in his mouth? And should I be treating him as well? I have been putting nystatin ointment on my nipples 3x per day, but it isn't helping. The pediatrician gave me the nystatin liquid for his mouth, but told me not to worry about using it unless he starts showing signs in his mouth. But it doesn't seem like I am getting anywhere just treating my nipples!! I need help. It seems like I have everything known to man right now... mastitis, a cold, pink eye, and now thrush!
I have GSE which I know kills yeast. Does anyone know how I go about using that? How much/often, etc? I really don't want to have to drag myself and my 3 sick kids out to the store unless its an emergency, but at this point I'm ready to throw my hands up and be done with breastfeeding. :/

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
K&Bmama
Registered Users

Re: Thrush? Please help, I'm starting to hate BF'ing!

And also, where do I get the APNO from Dr Jack Newman? Do I need a prescription or do I just write down what all is in it and take it to the pharmacy? Sorry for the dumb questions.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, you should treat the baby, even if he doesn't show signs in his mouth. Also, if you have pins and needles in your breast, you probably have yeast in your ducts, so topical treatments won't get it all for you. You'll need an oral antifungal as well.

I think you have to have APNO made by prescription at a compounding pharmacy, but I'm not sure.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We tried GSE and it made me so dry and itchy.

What worked miracles was gentian violet, baby didn't have signs but we treated him too. Call all your pharmacies to see if they carry it, we were on the phone for about an hour tracking it down. Also APNO it amazing, call your OBGYN they can prescribe it (yes you need a prescription) they should also know where a compounding pharmacy is.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Gentian violet will cause your baby to have urine that permanently stains cloth diapers, so just a heads up. And your vaginal discharge will permanently stain your panties, too.

You can take GSE internally, but it tastes terrible. My dose was 14 drops in a glass of water three times a day for 14 days. But there is no way you could dose a baby as it tastes so terrible.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
slk202
Registered Users
seller

My baby never showed signs of yeast but nystatin really helped my nipple pain. The pins feeling in your breast is probably yeast in the ducts as another post said. I took a single dose of diflucan and haven't had internal breast pain since. Nystatin worked for me but even after the intense pain went away I still use it once a day or I start to feel the nipple pain creeping back. Nystatin did not help the shooting and throbbing pains within my breast, definitely needed the diflucan to fix that.
slk202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
RNmom926
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'd really suggest starting you and the baby on a daily probiotic in addition to whatever else you do to treat the yeast.
RNmom926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirst View Post
Gentian violet will cause your baby to have urine that permanently stains cloth diapers, so just a heads up. And your vaginal discharge will permanently stain your panties, too.

You can take GSE internally, but it tastes terrible. My dose was 14 drops in a glass of water three times a day for 14 days. But there is no way you could dose a baby as it tastes so terrible.
WE stained some towels that i had laid on my bed while nursing, but never any cloth diapers or even sheets or burp rags with baby throw up. I would think you would have to use an access of it to do this.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #9
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Call your OB and get some Diflucan.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #10
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

you and baby. make sure you also don't have a blocked duct in there as I had similar symptoms just no fever or itchiness. Blocked duct I hear may look like a white part in your nipple. Good luck