Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
pottermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
big newborns

Looking for advice from mommas with bigger babies. My son was 9lb and 20", and while not massive was still unable to fit in 90% his newborn diapers. We ended up pt clothing for a month because the only thing that fit was a few sunbaby size 1s is gotten on a whim and 12 prefolds (he'd pee through them in about an hour) and four covers.

Things that didn't work:
sm fuzzibunz (were huge until about 6w in the legs)
Nb alvas
Nb aio no name brand (comparable to little joey's)
Nb rumpkinz ai2

I've been scouting out larger sized nb diapers but they are expensive and I'm afraid to invest in much with how big my son was while still having stick nb legs.

Recommendations? Should I just get prefolds and doublers if I have another heavy wetter? If so what size should I be getting? I want them to last a bit not just a week or two kwim? I currently have cotton babies infant prefolds I stopped snapping them after about 4-5 weeks I think if I'm remembering right...

Advertisement

pottermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
vivid
Registered Users
seller

I used Thirsties Duo wraps sz 1 with inserts on my first who was born at 8lbs 3oz and grew FAST. They lasted her to 3 months at least. I am going to use those covers and prefolds for baby #2 due in 2 weeks.

If you don't want prefolds, Thirsties makes an AIO, a pocket, and a fitted all in the 2 size system. Any of those will work for longer than most newborn diapers and still get small enough for a newborn!
vivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

Re: big newborns

My first ds was 8#11oz 21.5 inches and second ds was only 7#13oz 20.5 inches but he gained and grew very fast (only fit his few nb outfits for 1.5 wks and more than doubled birthweight by 2.5mo). Any way, I was able to use thirsties duo wraps over flats. I also used proraps small and bummis super lite small these covers worked til 2 mo and just under 15lbs. I also used rumparooz nb but only for 2-3wks til the legs were too tight
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
rainbowgirl28
Registered Users
seller

Were the Alvas velcro or snaps? The snaps suck but the newborn velcro Alvas I was able to squeeze on my toddler...

Kawaii makes two lines of newborn diapers. They were both a little too big for my daughter at birth, the ones that are bamboo lined are pretty big, they might be a good, inexpensive choice for a bigger newborn.
rainbowgirl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would just get infant pfs and some good covers (Thirsties xs would work well for the range you will need).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
canadianmomof5
Registered Users

Mother Ease Sandys size Small (not xs) should fit fine and last for a long time. They are bulky but I don't really mind that with newborns since they aren't crawling or walking yet and mine just wear one piece sleepers, no jeans or anything like that.
canadianmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about a couple of wool covers? Maybe those would be more flexible with sizing. Or an adjustable PUL cover would be another idea.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
EmilyAnn86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my boy were 9lbs 8oz, 10lbs, 9lbs 12oz, and 8lbs 8oz (I was shocked when i had a small baby!)

I LOVE the Diaper Drive Thru bitty fluff but they are not available anymore. I also love the yellow edge GMD workhorse fitteds under x-small thirsties covers, x-small motherease sandy's under x-small airflow covers, and the newborn simplex
Old 10-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

My new baby was 8 lb 12 oz. at birth, and was over 9 lbs. by one week. He was out of the newborn sizes within 2 weeks of birth. Even the newborn prefolds were too small.

We've been using bumgenius bamboo fitteds (found here on DS FSOT), thirsties fitteds, smart bottoms (both one size snap down, and adjustable elastic like soft bums), and soft bums. I think he might be able to fit into the Elementals that I have saved from DD, but I'm waiting for him to grow a little more so they aren't so bulky on him. So far, everything we're using contains the major BM poop; the only blow-outs we've had have been with sposies.

I'm planning to pick up some more prefolds when I have some more $$, because I like how their trimness and durability.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thirsties duo line. Capri covers.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote