Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Mrs.RTH
Registered Users
seller

Just switched to cloth and my DS hates it

I just switched my (almost) 15 month old to cloth a few weeks ago. Since I switched he's become awful for diaper changes. As soons as I pull out a CD and lay it under him to put it on he starts crying and screaming and tring to roll over. It's like trying to diaper a feral cat or something. I have to try to pin him down as he thrashes and cries and it takes me 4 times as long to get a cloth on him as it did a disposable because he fights me the whole time. Plus it makes checking for a good fit and adjusting (especially snaps) next to impossible. He's not like this with disposables so I'm wondering if he hates the cloth diapers. Once he's got them on he seems fine, but the diaper changes are a nightmare and it doesn't matter what type diaper I put on him. I've tried BG 4.0 and Freetime, capri covers with trifolded prefolds, fuzzibuns perfect size mediums, grovia AI2, simplex AIO's, Thirsties duo diapers and Thirsties duo AIO. I get the same reaction no matter what I put on him or how I adjust the fit. I really don't want to switch back to sposies, but I don't want to keep sticking him in cloth if they make him uncomfortable and I don't know why else he would be so upset when I put them on. Any thoughts/advice?

Advertisement

Mrs.RTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Just switched to cloth and my DS hates it

It's strange that he's only pitching a fit at changing time. When I switched to cloth the first time, I had an 8 month old and a 2 yr old in dipes. The younger one didn't care but the older one for sure didn't like them. She would throw a fit at changing time, but she also gave clear indications that she didn't like them beyond changing time, she would walk funny, scratch and pull. The bulk between the legs made them really uncomfortable for her. So I switched her back to sposies and kept the younger one in cloth.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I tend to think it's more the age than the type of diaper. My DS was terrible for diaper changes around that age too. It may have been exacerbated by the CDs in that you are learning how to use them and taking a little longer, though. Still, I would just accept it as a phase and push through as I think he will do the same thing if you switch back to sposies.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
I tend to think it's more the age than the type of diaper. My DS was terrible for diaper changes around that age too. It may have been exacerbated by the CDs in that you are learning how to use them and taking a little longer, though. Still, I would just accept it as a phase and push through as I think he will do the same thing if you switch back to sposies.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
This.

He may just do it a little less in sposies because you can put them on faster. Id stick it out with cloth tho
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
BusyPAMommy
Registered Users
seller

Try giving him a really awesome toy to distract him and see if that fixes it...I'm not above giving my toddler my phone or car keys to keep him from flinging himself off the changing table.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97
I tend to think it's more the age than the type of diaper. My DS was terrible for diaper changes around that age too. It may have been exacerbated by the CDs in that you are learning how to use them and taking a little longer, though. Still, I would just accept it as a phase and push through as I think he will do the same thing if you switch back to sposies. Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I was thinking the same thing. My DS is 15 months old and has been really tough at change time. Starting up the wipes warmer, animated singing, fake sneezing and awesome toys that he only sees during a change have helped. I'd stick to it for at least 2-4 weeks and if after that long he is still fighting you then re-think cloth. As a previous poster said, he isn't showing any signs of irritation like her child did, so I would think he isn't physically uncomfortable (like a PUL or micro fleece sensitivity). My DS is also really into pointing to things and me naming them. I've considered putting some of those wall decal things on the ceiling for him to point to/look at during a change. Get him happy and distracted once on the changes able, then whip out the diaper for a quick (as quick as you can) change while still engaging with him. I wouldn't worry about getting the best fit at the moment, just work on making changes easier for you both, then move on to figuring out fit.
Jcurrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
mama2ma_ks_km
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just a random thought to add...any chance your DS has an ear infection? Mine freaks about diaper changes when he has one. =(
Oh, and books/cell phone/where are your eyes/ears/nose/fingers etc game really helps here. =)
Stephanie, Jesus-loving wife to Tim, mommy to Meghan ('05), Kelsey ('09) and Kaeden ('12) here on earth and baby Kaelin ('07) and baby Morgan ('10) in heaven. Expecting a new blessing 7/18/15! CD addicted, bfing, ERFing, bwing, non-circing, on-time vaxing, homeschooling, simple-living kinda girl.
mama2ma_ks_km is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

I have had DD in cloth since 4 months, right about 15 mos she became a butt and would do just that. I think it is just the age. Stick it out. Mine is awful with anything that requires a cover because it takes so long.
abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you think he might like to pick the diaper you are going to put on? Maybe that will help.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
A.Fred
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s
you think he might like to pick the diaper you are going to put on? Maybe that will help.
My DS sometimes loves to pick..when I can tell he's not wanting a diaper change I be sure to let him choose and that always helps
A.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote