Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
ashleyg103
Registered Users

Standard size newborn and infant prefolds?

I'm planning on using prefolds and covers for our next baby due in January. I'm trying to go the cheapest route until the baby can fit into the one size diapers I'm currently using on our twins. My plan was to get some thirsties duo sz 1 covers and 2 dozen newborn and 2 dozen infant prefolds. Anyone use these on their newborns and found they worked well? I would love to get the sized prefolds but I can get interest free financing through amazon and all they carry is traditional sized prefolds.

Also would you do 4x6x4 or 4x8x4? In thinking 2 extra layers isn't that big a deal but maybe it is???

Advertisement

Last edited by ashleyg103; 10-28-2013 at 04:42 AM.
ashleyg103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Standard size newborn and infant prefolds?

Would the OsoCozy work for you? The "Better Fit" shortened prefolds are on Amazon.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
vivid
Registered Users
seller

I plan to use them on my newborn when he/she gets here in 2 weeks or so! I haven't done it yet, so I'm not actually of help I suppose. I have 24 preemie prefolds which I only expect to fit for a week or so (my first baby was 8lbs at birth) then I will just fold down the backs of the infant size. I would have skipped the preemie size but I found them used locally for $1 each so they will be good for doublers afterwards.
vivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
mamacita1222
Registered Users

I used the osocozy better fit infant prefolds until DS was 15 pounds (that would easily get you to the smallest setting on OS stuff).

Just a heads up: I had two thirsties size one covers and thought they were way too big until DS hit about 10 lbs (6 weeks?). I loved my rumparooz newborn covers.
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
lugnut_9754
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about flats instead of prefolds?
lugnut_9754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
Ark2003
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita1222
I used the osocozy better fit infant prefolds until DS was 15 pounds (that would easily get you to the smallest setting on OS stuff). Just a heads up: I had two thirsties size one covers and thought they were way too big until DS hit about 10 lbs (6 weeks?). I loved my rumparooz newborn covers.
I agree! My son was 8 lbs 6 oz, and the thirsties duo size 1 was too big (especially the rise).

Newborn rumparooz snap = newborn perfection! AND, still fits great at 13 pounds!!

Amanda: Christ follower, wife to a good looking genius, mom to 5 sweet girls and 1 tough baby boy.

Last edited by Ark2003; 10-28-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Ark2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #7
ashleyg103
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita1222 View Post
I used the osocozy better fit infant prefolds until DS was 15 pounds (that would easily get you to the smallest setting on OS stuff).

Just a heads up: I had two thirsties size one covers and thought they were way too big until DS hit about 10 lbs (6 weeks?). I loved my rumparooz newborn covers.
Thanks! Maybe I'll do 4 rumparoos and 4 sz 1 thirsties I definitely want to have stuff that fits!
Old 10-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
ashleyg103
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut_9754 View Post
How about flats instead of prefolds?
I was thinking about flats but my twins will be 18 months old and still in diapers once the baby is born so I'm thinking prefolds will be easier with 3 in diapers but I keep second guessing myself on what I should get I'm making myself nuts!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What size child are you expecting? Thristies duo should fit and is a good choice. I generally don't like to put all "my eggs in on basket" (see link in sig). Consider getting a variety of brands (or at least a couple eg a couple thirsties duo and a couple RAR nb)

BTW my son fit great in thirsties duo day 1, he was 8.5lbs (didn't loose an oz) also check out the this poll: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1488216

What brand newborn are you thinking? Most of them are the same size but less layers, than the infant size. I'm not sure how helpful that is (i haven't used newborn prefolds before). GMD is one only of the only that newborn actually measures smaller.

If your baby is to be bigger (close to 9lbs) then maybe just make due with infant. If you still want to get newborn size, then maybe consider GMD so they are actually smaller.

You could also get infant size and then get something cheap for the first few weeks until the fit better like gerber muslin flats or t towels or $0.80 ikea kitchen towels - something like that.

Another thought to is you could get newborn size (any brand) and then just go up to the OS diapers. My son was borns 8.5lb and fit well enough in OS diapers by his third week.

If you expect a small baby (say 6lbs) then thristies duo should fit but it could be longer before baby fits in OS.

If you are planning on the route you started with, I would at least just buy newborn for now. See if you need the infant before buying them, maybe you could go right into OS... you can get infant size pretty quickly if you find them necessary.

I know this is just more ideas. But we can't know what is going to work for our new baby's and what size they will be. We just have to make the best of it..... Another thought if you think you can manage is get flats knowing you most likely just have to use them for a few weeks -- if they end up being too much work hopefully your child will just be able to fit in the infant size than and you can just buy them then and if you are going good in flats than you just continue on.

Good Luck!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 10-28-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
ashleyg103
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
What size child are you expecting? Thristies duo should fit and is a good choice. I generally don't like to put all "my eggs in on basket" (see link in sig). Consider getting a variety of brands (or at least a couple eg a couple thirsties duo and a couple RAR nb)

BTW my son fit great in thirsties duo day 1, he was 8.5lbs (didn't loose an oz) also check out the this poll: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1488216

What brand newborn are you thinking? Most of them are the same size but less layers, than the infant size. I'm not sure how helpful that is (i haven't used newborn prefolds before). GMD is one only of the only that newborn actually measures smaller.

If your baby is to be bigger (close to 9lbs) then maybe just make due with infant. If you still want to get newborn size, then maybe consider GMD so they are actually smaller.

You could also get infant size and then get something cheap for the first few weeks until the fit better like gerber muslin flats or t towels or $0.80 ikea kitchen towels - something like that.

Another thought to is you could get newborn size (any brand) and then just go up to the OS diapers. My son was borns 8.5lb and fit well enough in OS diapers by his third week.

If you expect a small baby (say 6lbs) then thristies duo should fit but it could be longer before baby fits in OS.

If you are planning on the route you started with, I would at least just buy newborn for now. See if you need the infant before buying them, maybe you could go right into OS... you can get infant size pretty quickly if you find them necessary.

I know this is just more ideas. But we can't know what is going to work for our new baby's and what size they will be. We just have to make the best of it..... Another thought if you think you can manage is get flats knowing you most likely just have to use them for a few weeks -- if they end up being too much work hopefully your child will just be able to fit in the infant size than and you can just buy them then and if you are going good in flats than you just continue on.

Good Luck!
I'm thinking this baby will be a little over 7lbs. My first was 7.4lbs and my twins were 6.14 and 5.14 @37weeks. That's what I was worried about too with the newborn and infant size. Newborn comes in 4x6x 4 and infant comes in both 4x6x 4 and 4x8x 4 they are listed as osocozy but iv only seen them other places in preemie then infants and they don't list the measurements on amazon. Trying to buy as little as possible and just making it work I don't mind the bulk she will be born in January so will be in fleece sleepers any how. Maybe I should look into flats too though. I padfold them in covers on my boys and its not too bad and if they will work better than prefolds it may be worth it.