Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
avismomma816
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please Help! I have moldy diapers!

Okay so about 1 month ago our washer died and we were unsure if we'd be able to fix, which ended up we couldn't and needed a new one. We didn't have the $ for a new so the next day or two later I was doing our 4 loads at my mom's of cloth diapers, which my hubby loaded in the car for me. One load was our cloth diapers!! Anyhow as I was at my parents my hubs found a great deal along side the road, in my brother's neighborhood for $50! Anyway, we got it and love it but I jut found about 10 diaps e didn't BG to wash and they have mold on them :/... They smell funny & it's black, and some white fuzzy looking stuff. I'm assuming its mold! Ahhhh I could kill him because three of them are brand new, OBGE's I just took out of packaging! I knew some were missing but I'm freaking because I'm scared they are ruined. The others are freetimes and one flat! Why can I do to get them clean so my baby can wear on bum or are they ruined? Thanks mommas!

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
hockeylovingmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Please Help! I have moldy diapers!

Oh my goodness, I'd be mad too!! I don't have experience with this myself, but I would suggest bleaching the heck out of them! You need to make sure that the mold is dead before you put the dipes on your LO's bum and the only way you're going to be able to do that is with bleach. Hopefully you'll be able to clear them up before you reach the point that you have to use enough bleach that you wreck them, but if you do end up wrecking them you're going to be no worse off than you are now :-S
hockeylovingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yup. I'd do a hot wash with soap to get all the mold off, then a cold wash with bleach to kill it all. Maybe another wash or two after for the heebie jeebie's. Just make sure you add the bleach before the diapers and that it's mixed in so it doesn't hurt the colors.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I personally would toss them. I don't mess with black mold especially when it comes to my baby but that is just me.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
avismomma816
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks mommas! I of course do not want to harm my baby's bum, but it's not all over the diapers but Im just going to keep washing washing washing! Just let me know if anyone else has any other ideas?! Thanks!
Old 10-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
avismomma816
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok so I did a hot wash with little bleach! Omg it came out BUT my brand new Obge is shredded! I'm mortified! My daughter has only worn once! I paid $30 for it! I'm gonna puke! Anyhow think sewing it will help!!? I'm mortified... :/ and if the mold looks gone from the 2 hot washes is it GONE?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:33 AM   #7
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

1. The black is mildew, not black mold. Do not panic.
2. Cold rinse, then soak in bleach, then maybe a hot soak in oxyclean, hot wash with soap...rinse the heck out of them. Then SUN.

The bleach will kill the mildew, all it takes is a 10% solution...so just use a bunch and soak for an hour...dead. I cannot promise the mildew stain will come out though...those are tough.
Do not dry in the dryer with the stains as it will set them.
abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

Duh, I missed that post...if you used bleach it is gone.
abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
avismomma816
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeccarelli
Duh, I missed that post...if you used bleach it is gone.
Thank you momma you're awesome! No worries
Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How did a diaper get shredded? If you think it sewable it may be... you can just try it. Not like you have any other options really.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote