Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Runnermama
Registered Users

Super Weird Diaper Issues (I swear you haven't heard this before)

Hi I'm new here I've asked somewhere else and got nowhere. I am hoping ya'll can help me. I've noticed that my diapers on occasion stink but there are 2 distinct odors plaguing me. Sometimes these occur alone or together. I've also noticed this smell on mostly the covers made of synthetics. I tossed a brand new sleeper a few months ago when this started because it had that smell. Now I know better sometimes a strip in hot water will fix the issue.

Have you ever burned plastic on the stove or in the dishwasher? That is the closest odor to the one I'm experiencing. Sometimes the diaper will smell fine in one spot and the odor is on another.

I also just get this funky smell no barnyard and no ammonia funk. I actually think its the Country Save scent. Just amplified when my baby pees on the diaper.

I stripped with hot water and mighty bubbles. I cant seem to shake it.

A little about me. I have a TL HE washer. I also have hard water. I use Country Save. My routine is:
-rinse
-prewash sometimes I use 1/8 cup detergent in cold water depending on the load size I usually use the quick wash option. I use delicate (supposedly that adds more water) if there are more diapers.
-A long wash in bedding mode (longer wash with more water). I normally use hot water. Sometimes I use warm if I have a lot of dark colored diapers in the load. I also add an extra rinse
-Another rinse. Sometimes I run a quick wash cycle no soap to be sure the soap is gone if its a big load. Sometimes I forget to hit ECO Warm so it could be lukewarm or cold water.

*all of my rise cycles are cold only*

Frankly I think my diapers are not getting rinsed well enough and that perhaps there is an issue with some diapers not being agitated.

I am sick of it taking all day to do one load of diapers. I've tried Calgon and noticed no difference. My machine is new (bought it in March) and I hate it. I really cant pick at anything specifically other than the fact there is little lint fibers on everything, which leads me to think it is not agitating enough and not putting in enough water. I already called the manufacturer as its been doing some funky stuff and I'm having the machine looked at. In the meantime

I need to figure out why my diapers smell. This happens sporadically. Usually they seem clean. One time I even took an entire load of prefolds to the tub and rinsed the suckers out by hand. No bubbles. I was sure they were getting rinsed properly but now I'm not so sure.

Please someone help me.

Advertisement

Last edited by Runnermama; 10-30-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Runnermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Super Weird Diaper Issues (I swear you haven't heard this before)

That does sound odd. I don't have much to say but I did want to mention that I was sure Country Save would work for me because BG detergent worked for me (FL w/ soft water) but it doesn't. Leaves too much soap residue.

Have you tried different detergent? I found love with biokleen powder. I used biokleen liquid when I had harder water and a TL, not sure what took me so long to try it.

Have you ever tried liquid detergent? If I had hard water I would use a liquid. Everything I know about detergent and water = liquid detergent works better in hard water.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Runnermama
Registered Users

Country Save is my third. I started with All Free and Clear liquid, moved to BG, then found out Country Save was the same thing. Due to the fact Country Save is so green it pains me to even think of changing. I've heard the Tide argument too. I'm on the fence. I don't like the smell. I also heard they changed the formula. If I was to change it would be to either Tide or something I can find easily at the stores. I have to order the Country Save online and its not cheap. I did find it for $9 a box but Tide is expensive to me too. I was using homemade detergent and loved it but with the new washer it doesn't dissolve easily and has borax in it and I have some hemp and bamboo in my stash.
Runnermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Using all delicate and bedding cycles on those washes with the detergent may not be providing enough agitation. I would switch out the Bedding cycle for something called whitest whites, heavy duty, something like that. More water may be less important than sufficient agitation.

Maybe your water is too alkaline? Did you get weird smells with the previous detergents you tried as well? I would try at least a small bottle of something else. I also prefer liquids in my hard water.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnermama View Post
Country Save is my third. I started with All Free and Clear liquid, moved to BG, then found out Country Save was the same thing. Due to the fact Country Save is so green it pains me to even think of changing. I've heard the Tide argument too. I'm on the fence. I don't like the smell. I also heard they changed the formula. If I was to change it would be to either Tide or something I can find easily at the stores. I have to order the Country Save online and its not cheap. I did find it for $9 a box but Tide is expensive to me too. I was using homemade detergent and loved it but with the new washer it doesn't dissolve easily and has borax in it and I have some hemp and bamboo in my stash.
My guess is that the BG detergent is formulated to be a low sudings version of Country Save. People seem to forget that they same it's based on / made by the same people -- not exactly the same.

Do you get the plastic smell with other clothes too? Maybe your water is too hot or there is something in your washer that is heating up too much and burning.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Rose36
Registered Users

I had that issue with country save
Rose36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Adding more water will improve the agitation.I found my washer added so little water that when I washed a load of anything absorbent, there would be no water left for the clothing items to slip across each other and agitate. Can your pour extra water in though the detergent tray? That is what I do on my horrid Whirlpool Duet Sport HE FL
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
dncnshu00
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirst View Post
Adding more water will improve the agitation.I found my washer added so little water that when I washed a load of anything absorbent, there would be no water left for the clothing items to slip across each other and agitate. Can your pour extra water in though the detergent tray? That is what I do on my horrid Whirlpool Duet Sport HE FL
Please don't do this. You can break your washer.
dncnshu00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #9
dncnshu00
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like you need to begin choosing a washer option with less water for starters. Less water means more friction between diapers and that is where most of the scrubbing comes from. Second, you probably need to switch detergents. It doesn't have to be tide. Amy mainstream detergent will work. I've heard excellent things about Gain. I use Purex.
dncnshu00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have found the heavy duty cycle works better then the bedding cycle for cleaning diapers. As for washing all day I do mine at night. I start a hand wash cycle at 8pm to rinse the diapers then do a heavy duty wash with extra rinse, then in the morning I put them in the dryer. It really helps me feel like I am not washing diapers all day. Another thing, how are you drying your diapers???
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote