Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: S/o on chapter books

Thanks ladies! The librarians have been helpful. There is one I talk too nearly everytime I go in for one kiddo or another, lol. I hadn't thought about emailing his teacher, that is an excellent idea.

I think I will try to find a bunch of those books and bring them home for him to check out.

He does like non fiction but we struggle to find it at his reading level that doesn't look babyish. He likes science books. He will read his world records book. Part of the problem is we have read so many books together and he doesn't want to read them again.

Suzi, working mama to my ODS(2004) , YDS(2006), DSD(2004) and married to the love of my life
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
My Mood:

Cam Jansen series
Magic School Bus chapter books
I can't think of the name...but by the author of the Katie Kazoo books...but a book character. One of my students showed it to me.

Ready Freddy
The new Hardy Boys books
Captain Underpants (I know, I know...but the kids love it)
Geronimo Stilton

Also there are a lot of books that are graphic novels.

I would also suggest that if possible you have a chapter book that you read to him. The World According to Humphrey is a great read! My students love that book. I just finished reading The Fairy Tale Detectives. It is a higher level, but you reading to him models great reading.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

I don't know what his reading level is but the Magic Treehouse ones have the one of the lowest reading levels in a chapter book. The Black Lagoon ones are good because there are lots of pictures and the chapters are really short and it is are funny. As his reading improves there are the Magic School Bus chapter books, the Droon series, Beverly Cleary or Judy Blume books and Graphic Novels like Calvin and Hobbes. I agree with another poster in finding out his reading level and then checking scholastic for ideas at that level. Find book at his instructional level and easier ones he can do on his own.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 11-01-2013 at 01:49 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote