Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Mama's that have vaccinated and non-vaccinated babies...

My older child is vaccinated right on time. He still is (5 years old). My younger child is small for his age and the doctor doesn't want to vaccinate him till he has a bit of reserve. He says that the vaccine could make him slow down his growth (really not wanted). So he is saying that we might start vaccinations at 6 months. He is 3 months now.

I have never had a non-vaccinated child before. YDS did get the Hep B at birth but that is it. Is there anything I should know about having a child like this? I am trying to keep germs to a minimum with my older child but is there anything else? Oh and I am a SAHM and ODS is home schooled.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Re: Mama's that have vaccinated and non-vaccinated babies...

Our pediatrician uses a much slower vaccine schedule, so my babes to through patches without immunity. There isn't a huge risk of getting VPDs because of herd immunity. The only VPD that freaks me out right now is whopping cough. Unfortunately the vaccine isn't as effective as it should be and there are quite a few outbreaks going around. Is there anyway your ped could just give him the pertussis/tetanus/diphtheria vaccine? I guess there isn't much to do but wash hands and avoid sick people as much as possible. Since your ODS is home schooled you've already eliminated a lot of exposure. It's nerve wracking!
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have one older child fully vaccinated, a 6 year old partially vaccinated, and a 3.5 year old who is not vaccinated at all. I do not treat them differently at all.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads View Post
I have one older child fully vaccinated, a 6 year old partially vaccinated, and a 3.5 year old who is not vaccinated at all. I do not treat them differently at all.
this...my older 2 were fully, 3rd partial and my girls got none.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

My daughter who is 5 started to be vaccinated at the age of 3 and was just about ready for pre-k, and my 2 year old has not begun to be vaccinated. I am starting him at 2.5 though, with pertussis. I don't like the news of whooping cough outbreaks I've been hearing about.

The quick answer though is no. I don't treat them differently.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We don't treat our kids differently, either.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Germs don't spread VPDs. You only need to worry about the specific viruses and bacteria that cause those diseases that he is not getting vaccinated against. (well, you have to worry about any pathogen that could cause disease, but vaccines do not prevent you from getting a common cold, or any number of other illnesses).

My biggest concern for an infant would be pertussis. The best thing you can do for him is to make sure that the rest of your family is up to date on your pertussis vaccination schedule.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
aries416
Registered Users
seller

I will have a baby in April and this baby will not be vaccinated until at least 2, probably closer to 3. DD is fully vaccinated at 5, DS is 3 and has not had Hep B or MMR. I don't think he'll get those anytime soon.

We regularly hang out with kids who are 100% unvaccinated and it's never given me a second thought.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

I don't treat my vaccinated and unvaccinated children differently either. Even if there was a big outbreak of a VPD in our area I would probably be just as worried for my vaccinated kids as vaccines are not 100% effective anyway. We just try to keep germs at bay for everyone, wash our hands before eating, after getting home from the store, etc. FWIW my younger boys (non-vaccinated) have much stronger immune systems than their fully vaccinated brothers seemed to and get sick far less often and get over it quicker. My unvaccinated 4 yr old has never (knock on wood) been on antibiotics or had an ear infection, etc and my unvaccinated 2 yr old has only had one. With my vaxed kids we had tons of antibiotics due to ear infections, plus croup and GI illnesses, etc. They also have lots of allergies. I really firmly believe that vaccines tax the immune system and I think its great you have a ped who is willing to think outside the box and see your son as an individual with unique needs rather that be one more HCP with blinders on.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:16 AM   #10
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ds1 is the only fully vaccinated child, ds2 got shots until 6 months, the girls.not at all. They are all treated the same.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote