Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
7 year old suddenly rapidly blinking nonstop ???

7.5 year old DS came home from school today and has been blinking rapidly...almost like double blinking???... almost nonstop all afternoon/evening long. He says his eyes don't feel dry, they're not bothering him, they don't hurt, no redness or anything like that. It's almost like he's not even realizing he's doing it, and every few blinks he'll glance to the right (ONLY the right, or look straight ahead). We went to a school function tonight and I saw his teacher, she said she didn't notice him doing it today, but he insists he's been doing it for a couple days (I didn't notice it yesterday and it is VERY noticeable, there is NO possible way I would have missed this). He doesn't seem emotionally stressed or overly anxious, says nothing is going on at school. He has started complaining of a headache within the last hour or so, BUT he gets sinus headaches (and DH & I both get them and have had them all day due to the lovely change in weather here), and I would imagine that all of this weird eye / muscle movement he's not used to would probably be causing a headache as well. Am I overreacting by thinking I need to call either his pediatrician tomorrow or have his eyes checked? I don't think it warrants any type of ER thing, and as weird and easily dismissed as it was earlier, now it's just kinda freaking me out. I'm keeping an eye on it out of the corner of my eye but not trying to pay too much attention to him doing it in a way that he can tell, trying to gauge if it's some weird thing he's trying to do for attention...any ideas?

ETA: Just asked him if he hit his head on anything today at school and he said that he got tackled in PE by another kid (and said child *is* a rough kid, but so is my kid...it wouldn't surprise me if they were tackling each other) and he says he hit his head on the gym floor, but that his head didn't hurt after it and he "toughed it up" and didn't need an ice pack. That combined with this though...wondering if an ER trip is warranted just to have him checked out?

Advertisement

Last edited by smashncakes; 10-17-2013 at 07:34 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
3girls1mom
Registered Users

Re: 7 year old suddenly rapidly blinking nonstop ???

My daughter developed a blinking tic in kindergarten. We went to the ped after a week or so, he said its totally normal, usually stress induced and school can do that. Hers only lasted for a few weeks and she's now in fourth grade and hasn't ever had it again!
3girls1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
smashncakes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

...okay, and now every few blinks he'll dip his chin downwards, almost like he's nodding his head? He doesn't even realize he's doing it though??
Old 10-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Definitely sounds like a tic. They are very normal in children. The best thing is to ignore it and not mention it to the child. The more you talk about the worse they tend to get.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
smashncakes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I'm not saying anything to him about it because I don't wanna embarrass him or make him self-conscious of it. I've never seen a kid do this before and it's weirding me out! Like, it makes me think of seizures or something, but not like a hardcore major seizure, kwim??
Old 10-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I would call your ped. It sounds like a tic, but it could be seizures.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
smashncakes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our ped doesn't have an after hours number...it doesn't *seem* serious enough (to me at least) to warrant an ER visit tonight, and I can call the ped's office in the morning...I just didn't know if it was a sign of something I really needed to be concerned about and I was either under-reacting by wanting to wait, or over-reacting by thinking I needed to call the ped about it at all
Old 10-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sounds like a tic, but just in case, put him on some allergy meds for a few days and see if that helps a little.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I found this on webMD

Quote:
Tics. There are two types of tics -- motor tics and vocal tics. These short-lasting sudden movements (motor tics) or uttered sounds (vocal tics) occur suddenly during what is otherwise normal behavior. Tics are often repetitive with numerous successive occurrences of the same action. For instance, someone with a tic might blink his eyes multiple times or twitch her nose repeatedly.

Motor tics can be classified as either simple or complex. Simple motor tics may include movements such as eye-blinking, nose-twitching, head-jerking, or shoulder-shrugging. Complex motor tics consist of a series of movements performed in the same order. For instance a person might reach out and touch something repeatedly or kick out with one leg and then the other.

Tics are often classified not as involuntary movements but as unvoluntary movements. This means that people are able to suppress the actions for a time. The suppression, though, results in discomfort that grows until it is relieved by performing the tic.

While people of all ages can experience tics, they are most prevalent in children. Experts say that around 25% of children experience tics. And tics are far more likely to affect boys than girls.

No one knows exactly what causes tics to occur. Stress and sleep deprivation seem to play a role in both the occurrence and severity of motor tics.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashncakes View Post
7.5 year old DS came home from school today and has been blinking rapidly...almost like double blinking???... almost nonstop all afternoon/evening long. He says his eyes don't feel dry, they're not bothering him, they don't hurt, no redness or anything like that. It's almost like he's not even realizing he's doing it, and every few blinks he'll glance to the right (ONLY the right, or look straight ahead). We went to a school function tonight and I saw his teacher, she said she didn't notice him doing it today, but he insists he's been doing it for a couple days (I didn't notice it yesterday and it is VERY noticeable, there is NO possible way I would have missed this). He doesn't seem emotionally stressed or overly anxious, says nothing is going on at school. He has started complaining of a headache within the last hour or so, BUT he gets sinus headaches (and DH & I both get them and have had them all day due to the lovely change in weather here), and I would imagine that all of this weird eye / muscle movement he's not used to would probably be causing a headache as well. Am I overreacting by thinking I need to call either his pediatrician tomorrow or have his eyes checked? I don't think it warrants any type of ER thing, and as weird and easily dismissed as it was earlier, now it's just kinda freaking me out. I'm keeping an eye on it out of the corner of my eye but not trying to pay too much attention to him doing it in a way that he can tell, trying to gauge if it's some weird thing he's trying to do for attention...any ideas?

ETA: Just asked him if he hit his head on anything today at school and he said that he got tackled in PE by another kid (and said child *is* a rough kid, but so is my kid...it wouldn't surprise me if they were tackling each other) and he says he hit his head on the gym floor, but that his head didn't hurt after it and he "toughed it up" and didn't need an ice pack. That combined with this though...wondering if an ER trip is warranted just to have him checked out?
Take him in. You won't sleep otherwise
miriamleigh is online now   Reply With Quote