Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

We have TRU table and set, the big one with bridges ramps buildings etc and my DS got it for his second birthday. He is now a little over 3 ad loves this set. He does use all the buildings and I think it would be really dull to just have a figure 8 set with no accessories....I would really re think that personally. We did toss the people and trees, but he makes the trains talk to each other and has little people if he wants to improvise.

Nothing has broken or been damaged, it's a really nice set IMHO and I did a lot of research on the brands available.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
penguinande
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help me pick a train set!

I didn't find any on craigslist, so I'm thinking of going with the Bigjigs set. It has a bridge and more accessories than the other sets that I was considering. I was actually leaning toward Nuchi, but I showed dh and he voted for Bigjigs.
penguinande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
penguinande
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
He does use all the buildings and I think it would be really dull to just have a figure 8 set with no accessories....I would really re think that personally. We did toss the people and trees, but he makes the trains talk to each other and has little people if he wants to improvise.
This is what kind of what I was thinking. I was going to go for quality over accessories, but if I could get both that would be ideal, and I have heard some good things about bigjigs. Alright, I am off to order now!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
MattiMaman
Registered Users
seller

How can you tell which is the BigJigs set on Zulily? We're doing trains for Christmas, and I'm trying to get the nicest starter set I can for between $50-75.
MattiMaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
We have TRU table and set, the big one with bridges ramps buildings etc and my DS got it for his second birthday. He is now a little over 3 ad loves this set. He does use all the buildings and I think it would be really dull to just have a figure 8 set with no accessories....I would really re think that personally. We did toss the people and trees, but he makes the trains talk to each other and has little people if he wants to improvise.

Nothing has broken or been damaged, it's a really nice set IMHO and I did a lot of research on the brands available.
I totally agree about the accessories! The accessories really up the imagination factor of my children's play. If you're on a budget there are better accessories pieces to spend your money on than trees...but, even simple things like trees are great. My kids have storms demolish apple orchards, have cars lined up for apple picking, have cows get tummy aches & need to see a vet for eatting too many apples, and have a monster that jumps out from behind the trees & scares the trains before explaining he's a friendly monster.

Other toys & things around the house (especially holiday decorations - think fake snow & haunted house figurines) can make great accessories. My kids like to use their bilibos as tunnels, schleich animals, princess castles, and sometimes raid the kitchen to use upside down green cups as hills/mountains......but, it's a pain to put 20 different items away in 20 different places when they are all done vs only having to toss real train accessories into one box & call it a day.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
We bought up a box of 30 year old Brio for next to nothing. If I was buying, my money would be on Nuchi. So adorable!
Nuchi trains are cute, but ours did not grow with the kids well. By the time they were 3 they thought those pieces were for babies & wouldn't use them anymore unless they were having their babies play train. Unfortunately, I do have to agree with our kids - the Nuchi pieces do look like they are for babies.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
penguinande
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiMaman View Post
How can you tell which is the BigJigs set on Zulily? We're doing trains for Christmas, and I'm trying to get the nicest starter set I can for between $50-75.
The one I got was the figure 8 set, which was $25, and it's actually on Amazon for the same price. There's also a road and rail one for about $55 which is also by Bigjig.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #18
penguinande
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dp
Old 10-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
MattiMaman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinande

The one I got was the figure 8 set, which was $25, and it's actually on Amazon for the same price. There's also a road and rail one for about $55 which is also by Bigjig.
Thanks! I realized when I put some in my cart that it stated the brand name. Surprisingly, I showed the sets to my husband and he was all for the big mountain set! We lucked out and got a free train table, so I guess it evens out.
MattiMaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #20
penguinande
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Thanks! I realized when I put some in my cart that it stated the brand name. Surprisingly, I showed the sets to my husband and he was all for the big mountain set! We lucked out and got a free train table, so I guess it evens out.
Awesome!