Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Mama w/ LO's w/ chronic ear infections

I have a few questions for the BTDT mama's w/ LO's w/ chronic ear infections...

My little guy has had quite a few ear infections since about 9 months- he is currently 15 months. Our Doctor continues to say lets just try this one more antibiotic; and if that doesn't help i will send you to the ENT- the problem is the ear infection will go away or seemingly go away (it's hard to tell b/c my little guy never really acts like he has an infection until it gets really bad), and then we start over again with the lets try this one more antibiotic...

Some other issues realted to this that I am concerned about is that my Little guy only says 2 words "hi", and "aa-oh" (15 months) and aa-oh he started prior to the ear infection troubles; he does respond to me and seem to understand what I say. Also he is always raspy, and gets sick alot- Doctor told me this was all b/c of the ear infections and thought this would get better once the ear infections get better.

For those of you that have been there- did the constant courses of antibiotics really help- or did you eventually end up at the ENT anyways??
Does the Doctors explanation of him being constantly sick and raspy line up with your expereince with ear infections???

I am thinking about telling the Doctor that we are done tyring new antibiotics and I just want to go ahead and see the ENT...

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mama w/ LO's w/ chronic ear infections

Does your doc have the guage that tells if there is pressure behind the ear drum? If so, I would have the doc check to see if the fluid is going away between infections, or if the antibiotics are just clearing up (most) of the infection and then the fluid remains and is getting reinfected over and over again.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
TikiLuCherry
Registered Users
seller

I grew up with constant ear infections as a young child, I was almost deaf and couldn't hear much, I had to repeat 1st grade because I wasn't hearing my teachers and I also had to do a lot of speech therapy. I only got better because I had tubes put in my ears and my adnoids taken out.

I was the worst case in my family, I've had nephews that had to have tubes.

My DD has ear infections frequently and started having hearing problems in 1st grade, which were recognized by me. She has always been on antibiotics to clear them up. At one point, she was scheduled to have tubes put in but antibiotics cleared it up again so cancelled it. A lot of what caused hers was water in her ears or cold cold weather?

She is not allowed to go swimming without ear plugs in her ears. You could try that with anything that involves water touching the ears? Don't know that would help you, but it did for us.
TikiLuCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Does your doc have the guage that tells if there is pressure behind the ear drum? If so, I would have the doc check to see if the fluid is going away between infections, or if the antibiotics are just clearing up (most) of the infection and then the fluid remains and is getting reinfected over and over again.
Tympanometer. They can check the tympanograms for movement to see if there is fluid.

Honestly I'd be pushing to see an ENT. Fluid in the ears affects hearing. Hearing is how we learn spoken language. I don't mess around with hearing.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We ended up at the ENT, who then proceeded to do even more of the, "well let's see how this one works out..." I would get your DS in ASAP. My son didn't start talking until almost 2 due to the ear infections. It's like they are hearing underwater.

We ended up getting tubes and adenoids taken out at 2yo. The infections started around 8mos.

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
AngelElle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh yeah. My DS Had an ear infection every month or two for a year and then we did tubes. I was sooo much more comfortable with a 5 minute procedure than worrying about intestinal flora imbalance or antibiotic resistance from the constant stream of them he was on. We self referred to an ent because our family practice doctor at that time just wasn't very good. The audiologist did a hearing test and like a Pp said, he had a moderate hearing loss. From what I've read, a lot of times the ear infections can be viral or even just fliud build up, so antibiotics might not even help.
I got one of these http://www.earcheck.com and LOVE it. I used it all the time and for us it was always right on. It tells you how much fluid is behind the eardrum and if you should go to the doctor.
AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
AngelElle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Also for the tubes, I know when adults get them put in, it's such a simple procedure they can do them in office under local anesthesia. It's like getting your ears pierced.
AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelElle View Post
Oh yeah. My DS Had an ear infection every month or two for a year and then we did tubes. I was sooo much more comfortable with a 5 minute procedure than worrying about intestinal flora imbalance or antibiotic resistance from the constant stream of them he was on. We self referred to an ent because our family practice doctor at that time just wasn't very good. The audiologist did a hearing test and like a Pp said, he had a moderate hearing loss. From what I've read, a lot of times the ear infections can be viral or even just fliud build up, so antibiotics might not even help.
I got one of these http://www.earcheck.com and LOVE it. I used it all the time and for us it was always right on. It tells you how much fluid is behind the eardrum and if you should go to the doctor.
I think I am going to have to get one of those- It's just so hard to know if he has an infection or if the infection he has is gone.... He just doesn't act very sick even when he really is- and alot of times I think he is fine and then I find out he's not and other times I'm sure there is something wrong and it's nothing- I guess that is all part of being a mom- it's just hard seeing your little one struggle like this.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I had chronic ear infections as a child and it was tied to allergies and food sensitivities. I would try and get him in somewhere that can check for food sensitivities. I wouldn't fool around and if you can't get him in somewhere to check for those, then definitely push to see the ENT. Even with taking things out of my diet, they never got my seasonal allergies enough under control and I had 3 1/2 sets of tubes as a child, and had my tonsils and adenoids out before they got better.

On the plus side, I can do an excellent rooster crow, since I had to go to speech therapy and that is how they got me to learn my r sound.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would get into an ent. Especially since we are getting into flu season. My son is just now starting to talk more at 20 months but that is because we haven't had an ear infection since March.