Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
lyterae
Registered Users
seller

Re: Mama w/ LO's w/ chronic ear infections

My daughter had chronic ear infections and the best thing that we did for her was to start taking her to a chiropractor.

Advertisement

lyterae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got the home ear fluid thingie...it says I always have fluid in one of ears. I don't think they are very accurate.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Update- DS woke uis morning w a fever again and also kept walking around with his finger in his ear- and tried to stick his tooth brush in his ear. I called my doctor and asked if he would just refer us to ENT; he conceeded but wanted DS to start another antibiotic until the ENT apt. ( which isn't until Nov 14)- I think in the mean time I might try the chiripractor too- my SIL had recommended that to me as well.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
Ellasundies
Registered Users

My son has had fluid on the ear since he was born, tubes since he was 6 months (he's 7 now). Our ped's never put him on a constant stream of antibiotics, the few times he was put on antibiotics I don't think they really helped much. There was a study done recently that showed that 90% of kids with more then 1 ear infection a year had an underlying milk allergy. Lots of ENT's are beginning to take this seriously unfortunately it is only AFTER they've done several tube surgeries and the damage from those surgeries is already done. So the allergy testing is done as a last ditch attempt instead of being used as a proactive approach.

My son went to one of the best ENT's in the country. He's great, but before I realized my ds had an allergy the damage had already been done. Tube surgeries aren't all they are cracked up to be. They cause scar tissue in the ear drum (IF the ear drum heals all the way once the tube has been taken out) which can cause hearing problems in and of themselves. After only 3 surgeries my son had to have an ear drum transplant, which is a nasty surgery and is a 3 week long recovery. Nasty, nasty surgery and it didn't even work that great!

My son's hearing loss from fluid build up started in his left ear at birth. Now at 7 he has to wear hearing aids in both ears from the damage that was done during the tube surgeries.

Just something to think about. Yes the surgery may be better then constant antibiotics BUT it's still surgery and you need to try to get to the bottom of it before jumping on the tube surgery bandwagon.

Last edited by Ellasundies; 10-30-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
AngelElle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies
My son has had fluid on the ear since he was born, tubes since he was 6 months (he's 7 now). Our ped's never put him on a constant stream of antibiotics, the few times he was put on antibiotics I don't think they really helped much. There was a study done recently that showed that 90% of kids with more then 1 ear infection a year had an underlying milk allergy. Lots of ENT's are beginning to take this seriously unfortunately it is only AFTER they've done several tube surgeries and the damage from those surgeries is already done. So the allergy testing is done as a last ditch attempt instead of being used as a proactive approach. My son went to one of the best ENT's in the country. He's great, but before I realized my ds had an allergy the damage had already been done. Tube surgeries aren't all they are cracked up to be. They cause scar tissue in the ear drum (IF the ear drum heals all the way once the tube has been taken out) which can cause hearing problems in and of themselves. After only 3 surgeries my son had to have an ear drum transplant, which is a nasty surgery and is a 3 week long recovery. Nasty, nasty surgery and it didn't even work that great! My son's hearing loss from fluid build up started in his left ear at birth. Now at 7 he has to wear hearing aids in both ears from the damage that was done during the tube surgeries. Just something to think about. Yes the surgery may be better then constant antibiotics BUT it's still surgery and you need to try to get to the bottom of it before jumping on the tube surgery bandwagon.
Wow that is good to know. I had no idea. Hugs to you and your LO that sounds awful
AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
kanga1622
Registered Users

We refuse antibiotics for ear infections as a first line treatment. We take our kids to the chiro for an alignment and let the fluid drain. DS1 has been on antibiotics twice in his life and had an allergic reaction to both.

I had multiple ear infections as a kid, tubes at four, perforated my ear drums several times, and still have ear issues. I have found chiro care to be a huge help in reducing the severity and duration of my ear infections if we can catch them early. Unfortunately, after all my ear issues I do not feel pain until my ear drum ruptures again.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #17
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I talked to some mama's at my church tonight as well and I think I might take DS to see an immunoligist/allergist they recommended as well. I just don't buy all his sickness is all from ear infections. His first ear infection wasn't until 9 months and at 9 months he had already been hospitalized for a high fever of unknown orgin; had thrush; had h1n1; RSV; and croup- I wont go into a lot of details about this bc ive posted about several times before- but I just don't think this all is contributed to having ear infections.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraley
I talked to some mama's at my church tonight as well and I think I might take DS to see an immunoligist/allergist they recommended as well. I just don't buy all his sickness is all from ear infections. His first ear infection wasn't until 9 months and at 9 months he had already been hospitalized for a high fever of unknown orgin; had thrush; had h1n1; RSV; and croup- I wont go into a lot of details about this bc ive posted about several times before- but I just don't think this all is contributed to having ear infections.
Yes I remember your other posts. I think this is a great plan. It's always better to know what you're working with, or at least rule it out ya know?

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote