Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Malenkaya
Registered Users
seller

Response To Intervention?

Anyone here have experience with this? After dropping DD off at school this morning I got the mail and had a letter from the school. It says she has been placed on the "at risk" list for reading and will be receiving accelerated instruction. I should add she is in kindergarten, turned 5 in May and is probably one of the youngest kids in her class.

Her school is a charter that is on a 4 hour day so there aren't a lot of extras. For each quarter there is an "enrichment" class that isn't graded. The first quarter was health, now it's music and then they have art and theater for the last two. According to the letter this special class will take place during that enrichment class, so they will be pulling her out of music, which she just started.

I know this is going to break her heart. She loves music, and loves singing almost more than anything else. She went to school this morning dressed like Katy Perry for Halloween. She sings ALL THE TIME and memorizes songs faster than anyone I've ever met. But I digress.

Who has experience with this program? Any tips, stories to share? Anything? I literally just opened the letter and my heart sank.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Response To Intervention?

I'd talk to the teacher (or email) and express your concern about missing music. Will she miss just one day a week, part of the class or all music class so she never gets music? Missing one day a week (if they do multiple days) wouldn't bother me. But not getting to do music at all would bother me - every kid should get to do the 'fun' classes.

Our school works differently - every kid in the school participats in reading intervention. The lower your reading level the smaller of a group you meet with. So no one is really singled out for this program - you just have your room you go to at that time. Now similar (but the opposite) dd1 gets pulled out for talented and gifted enrichments. Most of this is done during recesses because prior to this year they could not pull her out of any scheduled classroom time. This year she misses a couple of recesses but mostly gets pulled from non core teaching times. She never misses her specials - she would be crushed if she had to miss that stuff.

So can you maybe see if she can do it over a recess or something like that if she's going to miss music. Hopefully there is a way to make it work for her.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first thought is - its awesome that your school is going to give her the extra help she needs..... so often those kids get swept under the rug.

BUT i also understand wanting your kid to have "specials"..... if she is only in school for 4 hours i would sign her up for something outside of school to supplement. Music classes are abundant around here and quite inexpensive. I'm really surprised they fit in specials at all in half day K.... the town north of us does half day (our district is full day) and its 100% classroom instruction.

I know you said your daughter is young - but while age may play a slight part, its probably not the sole reason your daughter is struggling with reading. I have seen kids with Aug birthdays (so last month b/f cut off) come into K and just breeze through it and i have seen Sept kids (so oldest of the bunch) really struggle.....

I assume once she is up to grade level they will put her back in her regular rotation..... so work with her at home. At that age it can be so much fun, just make letter recognition, phonics, etc a part of daily life. So when you take her grocery shopping say "can you find me a fruit that begins with a
"Sssss" sound?" and let her work on it.

And because its tough.....
Old 10-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Malenkaya
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
I'd talk to the teacher (or email) and express your concern about missing music. Will she miss just one day a week, part of the class or all music class so she never gets music? Missing one day a week (if they do multiple days) wouldn't bother me. But not getting to do music at all would bother me - every kid should get to do the 'fun' classes.

Our school works differently - every kid in the school participats in reading intervention. The lower your reading level the smaller of a group you meet with. So no one is really singled out for this program - you just have your room you go to at that time. Now similar (but the opposite) dd1 gets pulled out for talented and gifted enrichments. Most of this is done during recesses because prior to this year they could not pull her out of any scheduled classroom time. This year she misses a couple of recesses but mostly gets pulled from non core teaching times. She never misses her specials - she would be crushed if she had to miss that stuff.

So can you maybe see if she can do it over a recess or something like that if she's going to miss music. Hopefully there is a way to make it work for her.
There was a form with the letter that I have to return to the school and that says whether or not I'm going to allow her to be in the program. As much as I don't want her to miss music, I can't imagine a parent NOT signing their kid up for the extra help. If we choose to enroll her, there is an option to say they go everyday, or on a specific schedule. I guess that means I could opt to have her do the intervention on Mon, Wed and Fri (for example) and let her go to music on Tues and Thurs. It just seems that if she needs help, it seems wrong not to have her get as much help as possible. I assume this is something they get to test out of at some point?

As for other possible times, that doesn't look like an option. The school has a morning and an afternoon session and all the kindergarteners are scheduled to do this as the same time. I guess I can count us as lucky that it's during her regular school day. For the afternoon students, they will now have to be there for part of the morning session for this class, then have their regular school day as well. That kind of negates the idea of the shortened school day for those kids. There is no lunch or recess at her school. Morning session is out before lunch, afternoon session starts after lunch. She does have PE. I would rather they pull her from PE for this, but I guess physical education is something they want all kids to have. My DD is in extracurriculars so she gets the exercise. But again, we can't specialize this to individual students, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags462 View Post
My first thought is - its awesome that your school is going to give her the extra help she needs..... so often those kids get swept under the rug.

BUT i also understand wanting your kid to have "specials"..... if she is only in school for 4 hours i would sign her up for something outside of school to supplement. Music classes are abundant around here and quite inexpensive. I'm really surprised they fit in specials at all in half day K.... the town north of us does half day (our district is full day) and its 100% classroom instruction.

I know you said your daughter is young - but while age may play a slight part, its probably not the sole reason your daughter is struggling with reading. I have seen kids with Aug birthdays (so last month b/f cut off) come into K and just breeze through it and i have seen Sept kids (so oldest of the bunch) really struggle.....

I assume once she is up to grade level they will put her back in her regular rotation..... so work with her at home. At that age it can be so much fun, just make letter recognition, phonics, etc a part of daily life. So when you take her grocery shopping say "can you find me a fruit that begins with a
"Sssss" sound?" and let her work on it.

A big part of the reason we chose this school is because it's for kids with heavy extra curricular schedules. DD is in gymnastics twice a week and dance once a week. She has done some modeling and we are in the process of putting stuff together to try to actually get her some professional modeling work. Her love of music shouldn't be any big surprise because it was my big thing in school. Vocal music is what pretty much kept me in school as a teenager, and I later moved to Los Angeles and sang lead in a band that played the club scene. DH also fronted a rock band during his college days. I could see music being very big, if not the biggest thing in her life, eventually. They just started the music rotation this week, so that timing really sucks. Being exposed to all the various extras is important but taking her out of music just hits where it really hurts.

Lastly, and most importantly, she knows all her letters. She knows the sounds they make. Ever since they started studying that in school she spends a good deal of her time telling me about rhyming words and what letters make different sounds.

I had a thread a while back about some testing they had done and that we had to come in for a parent teacher conference due to how bad her test results were. The teacher had said at the time she was surprised because she participates well in class and knows her stuff. Then when they did the one on one she was "so distracted" and couldn't give proper answers. She finished the first quarter with an E (excellent) in every class, with averages in the upper 90's. With the bad test scores factored in. We came home from that parent teacher conference and I drilled her on every letter and their sounds and she does know these things. It makes me wonder if there is something else at play here.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't think i'd allow her to be pulled out of music, unless she tried the enrichment class and loved that too.

I WOULD do my own either enrichment or music. You can do the accelerated reading at home, but you'd have to find a music class for her to join. That might cost you more money. (totally worth it if it's a good group, or class)

But, if missing her music class made her sad, I wouldn't allow it. You can be her best teacher.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

There is a difference between what kids know, and what they can demonstrate that they know. I would ask for a meeting with the teacher to talk about it. I think it's great that they have a RTI program, but I do not think that based on what you have said, that your DD doesn't necessarily need to go to it everyday. Maybe the teacher will have other ideas of things you can do. Since music is such a large part of your life, I don't think I would pull her from it at all. I would instead look to see what you can do to supplement at home and re-evaluate after Christmas. Lots of times we think we have to do each thing the school recommends, but you don't. A lot of times there are other options, you just have to ask about them (and then follow thru at home if you choose to do it at home). It sounds like she is on-track, and the teacher was surprised how low she tested, maybe she just had a bad test day? Maybe she was tired or sick or hungry and not cooperative? These are all questions I would have, and I would want to test my child at home as well to see if she did differently. I would ask the teacher for a list of things she wants mastered by Christmas, and start working at home. If that doesn't work, you can do the RTI thing later. There are ltos of on-line tools, tot.

I have one child who was so shy she could not ever demonstrate what she knew b/c she would get panicky/anxious when the teacher would ask her to read to her, or do a test, ect. She is finally outgrowing that at 3rd grade. I would take what the teachers said into consideration, and kept an eye on her at home. SHe was always able to do much more at home than at school.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would maybe cut down on some of the extracurriculars -- especially things like paid modelling jobs at this point and help her focus at home on reading. I read her schedule and nearly cried because that looks like a tough schedule for an adult, I'm thinking maybe she is pulled in so many directions she doesn't have the mental energy left to devote to reading.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags462 View Post

to all that up there.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

RTI can be great. I might try and split time between RTI and extras, both are important.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
hopetc
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would ask for a meeting with her teacher. If this placement is based on testing and it does not match what the teacher sees in class, is she being put there for test taking skills rather than reading? Can the test be redone? How close is she to not needing it? Is it reasonable that you could work on the skills at home?
hopetc is offline   Reply With Quote