Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Why do moms with tiny babies...

feel like they need to brag about it? I have had so many friends or acquaintances brag about the fact that their baby is tiny. "oh my daughter is 9 months but is still only wearing 3-6 months" said with a grin. "I'm so glad my baby was only 5lbs when he was born." in reply to hearing another baby was 7 lbs.

I just don't understand it?

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why do moms with tiny babies...

Sometimes I say that I'm happy my son was under 7 pounds, but only because I had a hard labor and I can't imagine how bad it would have been if he were 10 pounds.

And I have never heard a mom brag about a small baby unrelated to birth. For me it was a huge source of stress. Unless you would consider "My baby isn't even on the weight chart and random people tell me my breast milk must not be good enough" bragging.

On the other hand I regularly hear people "brag" that their baby has already outgrown X size clothing. I realize now that it sounds like bragging to me because my 6 month old could still fit in NB clothing and it would nearly bring me to tears. I heard bragging because of my own issues with his weight.

ETA not trying to be snarky, but your complaint sounds exactly like how I feel about people with big chubby babies that everyone wants to cuddle. OMG everyone LOVES baby thighs, which seems great until you have a baby with zero body fat. Every time someone coos over a fat baby I get a little defensive deep down.

Last edited by Palooka; 10-31-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Mom2Gray
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have honestly never heard that happen. That would confused me, too. My babies don't grow well until they start table food, and it's always made me really self-conscious when friends with babies are bragging on their baby's fat rolls and sweet chubby cheeks...I always feel like I look like I'm starving my babies.
Mom2Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
On the other hand I regularly hear people "brag" that their baby has already outgrown X size clothing. I realize now that it sounds like bragging to me because my 6 month old could still fit in NB clothing and it would nearly bring me to tears. I heard bragging because of my own issues with his weight.
I guess i just feel like people make a bigger deal out of babies that are smaller, like somehow that makes them cuter or a special commodity (like tea-cup dogs)
Old 10-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hehe. Maybe they are thinking their hoohas are in better shape due to a smaller baby?

Around here, it's all "look at how big my baby is. He's only 3 months old and wearing 6-9 month clothing."

ETA: And I love the variety that comes with different sizes and shapes of babies. I love the slender ones that look like tiny dolls and the chubby ones that make me want to (gently) squish on them. I have a friend with a little peanut that I regularly praise on fb since she gets a lot of flack for her being so tiny.

Last edited by mcpforever; 10-31-2013 at 07:41 PM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
I had tiny babies and have said similar things and I was mot bragging about it.

My biggest kids were both 6lb 11 oz, my smallest 6lb 5oz. Yeah i am glad. They were lighter to carry around. They did not grow fast so they often wore smaller clothes. It meant I didn't have to buy as many clothes for them because they wouldn't outgrow them. It also meant they could wear hand me downs from their siblings that faster growing babies would have outgrown earlier due to being born in different seasons.

I don't see how saying i prefer(like) something is bragging.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always hear people brag about how big their baby is. I totally bragged at how easy dd was to shop for since she seemed to grow at the exact rate that baby clothes come in. It was weird how perfect the sizing was for her.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil View Post
I guess i just feel like people make a bigger deal out of babies that are smaller, like somehow that makes them cuter or a special commodity (like tea-cup dogs)
Yup you sound exactly like me! lol. Except, you know, the opposite. I have a couple family members who are so oblivious as to say things like, "I hope my baby has tons of cute fat rolls" and "Skinny babies are just WEIRD!" as I'm standing there with my underweight baby. People are dumb and rude and they don't think before they speak, unless it is about themselves.

Everything other people say is 100% about their own baby, while everything you hear seems 100% about yours. KWIM?
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
I always hear people brag about how big their baby is. I totally bragged at how easy dd was to shop for since she seemed to grow at the exact rate that baby clothes come in. It was weird how perfect the sizing was for her.
That must have been really nice. Mine always fly through the first 2 sizes and frustrate me!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
lilannies mama
Registered Users
seller

My poor baby was born at 2 pounds I never brag about that. I was scared to death. She's still smaller than most her age cause she was small to begin with so she's behind on that scale. But I don't brag I explain why she's so teeny.
lilannies mama is offline   Reply With Quote