Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
love2bmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why do moms with tiny babies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil View Post
I guess i just feel like people make a bigger deal out of babies that are smaller, like somehow that makes them cuter or a special commodity (like tea-cup dogs)
I feel the same way. All of mine were off-the-charts enormous and I always felt that people preferred other babies who were smaller.

My youngest was 10 lbs 11oz at birth. He had to be in the nicu for 5 days and one of the nurses said to him, "You're enormous! What are you doing in the nicu?" I know she meant nothing by it and it was just because she was so used to taking care of premies, but at the time it made me feel like she was saying he shouldn't be getting the care he needed because he was so big. My feelings were clouded by being so irritated about hearing , "You gave birth to a toddler!" over and over and over again though. Man, that got old.

Advertisement

love2bmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
Everything other people say is 100% about their own baby, while everything you hear seems 100% about yours. KWIM?
Yeah I agree....

my son is actually right in the middle for everything, I guess i just have friends with small babies. Right now its my sister. She had twins who were 5 something a piece and every word out of her mouth is about how small they are.

Last edited by PurpleDaffodil; 10-31-2013 at 07:57 PM.
PurpleDaffodil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
I don't consider it bragging, more like one-up-manship. 'My baby is so small'. ' well, check out how small MY baby is.'.
'My baby was huge at birth'. 'Oh, that's nothing, mine was HUGER.'.
'My baby was crawling at seven months.' 'Well mine was eating pizza at THREE WEEKS.'
Everyone has to have the best story or the baby that just doesn't fit the mold.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
OMG everyone LOVES baby thighs, which seems great until you have a baby with zero body fat. Every time someone coos over a fat baby I get a little defensive deep down.
Or people share a picture of their 99th percentile baby who is 100% on breastmilk and say "look at all those rolls my BM gave him!" And meanwhile my spitty babies are doing good when they gain 1-2 oz a week. At three months old. :/ (And they're always healthy and happy, just slow gainers.)
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #15
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

The funny thing to me, in regards to, "I'm glad I didn't have a big baby, labor hurt with my six pounder!!" statement is size to me has nothing to do with it. My 2 smallest babies were labor and births from hell, while my over 9 pounder was just average sucky, lol.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
I don't consider it bragging, more like one-up-manship. 'My baby is so small'. ' well, check out how small MY baby is.'.
'My baby was huge at birth'. 'Oh, that's nothing, mine was HUGER.'.
'My baby was crawling at seven months.' 'Well mine was eating pizza at THREE WEEKS.'
Everyone has to have the best story or the baby that just doesn't fit the mold.
this. everyone likes to feel like their kids are the greatest kids ever.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
miriamleigh
Registered Users

I've never heard a mom brag about a small baby. Most of the moms I know with "skinny" babies are really anxious about it.
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
The funny thing to me, in regards to, "I'm glad I didn't have a big baby, labor hurt with my six pounder!!" statement is size to me has nothing to do with it. My 2 smallest babies were labor and births from hell, while my over 9 pounder was just average sucky, lol.
I always wonder about this. People often feel sorry for me because I have big babies, but I can't see it making any difference. 6 lbs or 10 it's still gonna hurt!
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmommy View Post
I feel the same way. All of mine were off-the-charts enormous and I always felt that people preferred other babies who were smaller.

My youngest was 10 lbs 11oz at birth. He had to be in the nicu for 5 days and one of the nurses said to him, "You're enormous! What are you doing in the nicu?" I know she meant nothing by it and it was just because she was so used to taking care of premies, but at the time it made me feel like she was saying he shouldn't be getting the care he needed because he was so big. My feelings were clouded by being so irritated about hearing , "You gave birth to a toddler!" over and over and over again though. Man, that got old.
OMG you too? My youngest was 10.14 and all I heard was "you gave birth to a toddler", over and over and over. She couldn't fit in the newborn diapers and they didn't even have a gown to fit her. It was so super annoying.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriamleigh View Post
I always wonder about this. People often feel sorry for me because I have big babies, but I can't see it making any difference. 6 lbs or 10 it's still gonna hurt!
while that may be true, a larger baby increases the likelihood for certain problems. my almost 11 pounder got stuck (after her head was out) and ended up breaking my tailbone and getting brachial plexus which required one year of physical therapy and three months of occupational therapy. So yeah, I think size can make a difference