Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #21
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Why do moms with tiny babies...

Not to belittle anyone's feelings, but I do think there's a bit of oversensitivity when it comes to baby size, and couple that with some thoughtless remarks it lends to problems. I got the "OMG, she's the biggest baby in the world, what do you feed her?!?!" with my oldest, and while some of the remarks were funny, some did put me on the defensive. Now I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I get the "OMG, she's so tiny, what do you feed her?!?!" I mostly just let it go because I now know that I can't win. People are going to be insensitive, they don't filter what they're saying, they don't think to. And honestly I think many mamas, or even most are quick to take things people say a bit too personally, I know I did at times.

I have to admit that some of the things I might have said about my youngest could sound like bragging, but it's certainly not meant that way. I'm ecstatic this time around that I get to have a baby who makes use of all the baby sizes, instead of rushing through them at a breakneck pace. I was quite relieved that she was small, making my vbac much more likely. I was quite tickled that she wasn't going to outgrow all the baby paraphanalia before she was ready like my oldest did. She only gained a single size this year, and the baby clothes are so cute!

But I also complain about the other end of the spectrum's problems too. She doesn't fit in baby swings at the park, her sister did once she hit toddler age, but her sister was almost 10lbs heavier and taller too. Finding size 3 shoes and boots that are actually meant to be worn outdoors by a walking toddler is mindbogglingly hard unless you go to spendy boutique brands. Had similar problems with snowsuits, all the inexpensive new ones had built in booties in her size, and she's going to want to go and run and play in the snow with her sister. There's definitely annoyances and problems on both ends.

Advertisement

Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
Not to belittle anyone's feelings, but I do think there's a bit of oversensitivity when it comes to baby size, and couple that with some thoughtless remarks it lends to problems.
I think often there tends to be some over-sensitivity on this board in general...
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #23
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil View Post
I guess i just feel like people make a bigger deal out of babies that are smaller, like somehow that makes them cuter or a special commodity (like tea-cup dogs)

That's how I always take it too. I had friends tell me "Wow, she's a sturdy one.... My daughter looks so tiny compared to yours"
Old 10-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
Bellaroo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
OMG you too? My youngest was 10.14 and all I heard was "you gave birth to a toddler", over and over and over. She couldn't fit in the newborn diapers and they didn't even have a gown to fit her. It was so super annoying.
That was our experience. Our NICU had a hard time finding anything to fit our baby too. We left all our newborn diapers at the hospital and took their size ones.

It is interesting how we all perceive things differently based on our own experiences. I probably make too big of a fuss about tiny babies because I never had one and felt like I missed out. Reading some of the stories here has definitely made me rethink my future responses.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #25
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I have small babies... I HATE how everyone keeps staying "oh she is so tiny" "oh, mine weight 2.5 more pounds then yours".

People need to use a filter on their mouth. Do I want to take a class d drug during my pregnancy which causes my babies to not grow well inside of me? No!!!!! NEVER! But them growing slower and gaining less weight is better then me dieing of heart failer or causing them brain damage by my heart no being able to pump blood to feed their tiny little bodies in my belly.

Why do so many people on here, at church, at the store feel the need to class/catergize things?!! You have xx number of kids, you have xx many boys and need girls, boys are xxx, your child has rolls up their arms what do you feed them?!! People need a musle.
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #26
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My babies are tiny so my averaged size dd2 seems huge in comparison. I don't like my babies being small bc the doctors are pitas about it. Dh and I are both tall. But we were itty bitty babies and children. I got "Big" around the 5 th grade and he never did until he was an adult. So the doctors look at us and see tiny babies and it makes there medical heads spin.

My poor ds2 went through a ton Of bloodwork to find out that there is nothing wrong with him that guess what his father was under 4ft tall when he entered highs school and under 65 lbs.

I always thought that my sister who had big babies everyone made such a big deal and she was so proud. Idk I guess bc I have tiny babies I don't see the bragging bc it makes me sick every time I have to weigh my tiny baby in.

Last edited by dagmomma; 10-31-2013 at 09:24 PM.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #27
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

When I talk about my small babies, it's almost always either in a reassuring tone (ie, "don't worry about your 25th percentile baby, all my kids have been below the 5th, someone has to fill out the smaller side of the scale right?) or it's in a worried tone, after having spent 5 days in the childrens hospital for small baby weight loss. It's for sure not bragging.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #28
babyike2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I only make skinny Minnie babies and I want a fat one already, lol! We always want the opposite of what we have, I want blue eyes but mine are brown. I find I brag about all of my kids- my youngest is a dinky peanut and my oldest is a jolly green giant (he's 14 and 6'3"). Brag on mamas, brag on!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #29
sarahtee
Registered Users
seller

Personally it drives me CRAZY when people say, 'oh, he's SOOO tiny' about my 2.5 year old. I've heard it almost daily for the last year and a half. He's on the shorter side (so are me and DH) and just petite. But he's healthy so I try to focus on that and brush it off. I know people aren't insinuating he is unhealthy or underfed, but it still gets old. Especially now that he is getting older and beginning to comprehend more (he's quite verbal). I got comments about my height constantly as a kid (heck, even as an adult).

So, I've only experienced the opposite. If I had a chubby/large baby I'd probably be sick of hearing how big he is

I try not to take others' comments too seriously
sarahtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #30
love2bmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaroo View Post
That was our experience. Our NICU had a hard time finding anything to fit our baby too. We left all our newborn diapers at the hospital and took their size ones.
Same here. Our NICU had to go to the peds floor to get diapers and gowns to fit him.
love2bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote