Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
4-yr-old boy still can't pronounce the "R" sound

Anyone else? He's been slower at speech than DD anyway, so I'm sure he'll catch up eventually, but he cannot say /r/ at all. If I ask him to say "Grrrr" then it comes out "gooo" (with a short /oo/ like "foot"). Or if he says "part" then it comes out *thisclose* to a two-syllable "pah-oot". Anyone have any tips on getting him to form that sound?

Advertisement

I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Re: 4-yr-old boy still can't pronounce the "R" sound

totally normal. For some kids /r/ doesn't come in until age 6-7. I'd just let it be for now. It may correct on it's own. Don't make a big deal about it. If he's still having trouble in 1st/2nd grade, that's typically when speech therapy would start for an /r/.

However, this was my experience with my DD. (FYI, I am a speech language pathologist). She spoke very well, except for the /r/ sound. She was aware of it and would say "mom I can't say that word." So I told her to try saying it with her tongue further back in her mouth and that helped her. She corrected the sound on her own with that little bit of advice. So I'd say if your son is aware of his /r/ issue, then you can give him a little help. Think of where your tongue/lips are located when saying that sound and try to guide him. If he is completely unaware, leave it alone.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it's normal. As long as his name isn't Rory, I think he's probably fine. If you are concerned though, I bet you could check with the school district.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I was taught how to crow like a rooster to learn my r sound. I'm not sure exactly how they taught me that, but maybe you can figure it out now that you have the idea?

And yes, totally normal for that age to not have it. My 6 yr old is still not always clear on her r and w sounds. I mean, she knows them if someone says them to her, but they are not always clear in her speech, though getting better.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, guys. I wasn't concerned until we were at the mall play area last week, and he was running around with a little boy around his age who was talking like an 11-year-old, and like an "inadequate" mommy, I of course had to start making comparisons, like "Zounds, what's WRONG with my child that he can't talk?"
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it is normal to have trouble with some sounds. My 4 year old leaves the s off the front of words that start with sk, sp, sc, and st. So skunk is kunk and school is cool. I wouldn't worry about it yet.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Rina Roo
Registered Users

My nearly 6 year old is still having a problem with the k sound. It comes out like a t-uh.

Last edited by Rina Roo; 10-31-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Rina Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

It depends on the sound too. R is a later developing sound. By age 7 most kids no longer have errors. If they're coming up on 7 and still have errors I'd get it checked out.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Totally normal! When my DS2 still was having trouble with his r's at age 6, I had him evaluated at the elementary school, and sure enough he qualified for speech. There are actually 3 sounds he doesn't have mastered, but r is the most noticeable. He's been in speech for a little over a year now, and it's going well! When I asked his ped at his 5 year check-up they said that it's still within the range of normal, but when it hadn't improved by 6, that's when we pursued therapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I was taught how to crow like a rooster to learn my r sound. I'm not sure exactly how they taught me that, but maybe you can figure it out now that you have the idea?
Wow! Do you know, just this week in speech my son was being goofy and started making a rooster sound, and his speech teacher was shocked that it got him to say his r's correctly!! Hopefully we can continue on with these good r's!

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Our slp said that it is completely normal until age 6 to not say the r sound.

Don't worry just yet. :-) u have had 3 that couldn't say r's until they were 6-7 and all caught up just fine.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote