Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
kokerson9
Registered Users
seller

Loosing my Cloth Love

Our daughter is a heavy wetter. We started with Kawaiis, then Kawaii bamboo, now to imagine bamboo prefolds with Kawaii covers. LO is 1 year and last week picked up a virus and I stopped cding for a week. Now today I'm starting up again and already frustrated. Frustrated by the bulk, by the poo spraying, etc. I just changed her, and after almost 4 hours (should have done it earlier :/)she completely soaked through a prefold and the cover to her pants. >( Dh just sees the cost, which I do too, but its just annoying and I wonder if its worth it. Is there something else I should try? I normally put a wool cover on. I was loving the trimness of a sposie and a interlock cover the past week.

Advertisement

kokerson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Loosing my Cloth Love

4 hours is too long for any cloth that isn't an overnight. I suggest you try a flip and organic insert, they work great! The organic inserts cost more but last long and are the best.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
ashleyg103
Registered Users

My boys are 16 months and I change them every 2 hours sometimes a little sooner. I don't think any cloth diaper will last 4 hours without soaking through. We just use prefolds and flats padfolded. Maybe try flats they are trimmer and prefolds and snappi'd or pinned on they are super trim even with adding a doubler. And it's ok to take a break if you need to. I did at the beginning of the summer when I got pregnant. I couldn't even look at the clean diapers without getting sick and really thought I was done with cloth but after a month and finally feeling better I couldn't wait to get my twins into cloth again and start buying for the new baby. Sometime a little break can do you good!
ashleyg103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
lucy_in_the_sky
Registered Users
seller

I don't know if I have suggestions but I feel ya! We have been traveling for dh's work and cding was finally too much. We are back home and settled in but it has been frustrating as lo now wets more heavily and what used to work started leaking through. My solution (which hopefully will break even financially) has been to buy more of what I reach for that's easy and works well for us (now ai1 and ai2s) and I will be selling the rest. I too questioned whether to continue but now it is seeming less overwhelming.
lucy_in_the_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
kokerson9
Registered Users
seller

Well and I usually change every 2-3. I explained my predicament to a lady at a cloth diaper store and she suggested it was bc I was using Tide ultra as to why my prefolds were needing changed that often. :/

Idk, I've thought about doing bamboo AIOs under wool, but still not sure if that would work. Its just annoying trying to pull pants over her jinormo fluffy booty. I do babylegs but I have been having trouble with those rolling down. :/
kokerson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Have you tried a better cover? I haven't heard many good things about "China cheapies"...maybe get a couple flips?
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would try changing every 2 hours Max with just a prefold/cover combo. That is at most what I get out of that combo. If they are absorbing its not the Tide.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe you just need trimmer diapers...

Try to remember the reason you started cloth is the first place --- especially if it was for more reason that just money.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try some different covers and quality covers. Flips are on sale for the retiring colors all over the place right now.
juliefarnsworth87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
mamacita1222
Registered Users

OP: maybe you should take a break to regroup. Unfortunately cloth diapers should be changed every 2-3 hours. Disposables should be too, but I know they can last longer (I'm routinely out with a friend who uses pampers and she doesn't change her baby for like 6 hours!).

Think about the number one reason you are unhappy with your current cloth situation: Leaks after a couple hours? Change every two. Attack of the fluffy butt? Look for a trimmer option like Grovia or G diapers with some bamboo / charcoal somethingorothers. Dealing with the poop? Liners or just switch to disposables.

I want to add that it isn't like using disposables makes you a bad parent. Diapering shouldn't be stressful. You can always come back to cloth after a break if you miss it. If you have the money for disposables, just use those.
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote