Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Need Recommendations RE heavy wetter that requires stay dry

DS is a very heavy wetter. He also requires stay dry, as he just can't tolerate wetness against his skin. I've been using flats, prefolds, and covers. He can soak through prefolds and flats fairly quickly, but as long as we stay on top of frequent changes, we do okay with those absorbency-wise. None of my other babes have ever been this heavy of wetters before, and none of them have ever required stay dry, so Little Man is throwing me some curve balls

I don't think AIOs are the way to go because I don't want something that will be hard to clean. I'm thinking more like pockets or AI2s. I also prefer natural fibers to microfiber for the absorbency. I don't want to spend a ton of money either.

Also, Little Man is 5 months old, tall (98%) and thin (35%), and of course I want something that will fit him well and not leak.

I know what a lot of my options are, I just can't decide what I think will be best for him, and I don't want to try a gazillion things in search of a non-existent perfect diaper. I just want something easy that won't leak and won't give him rashes. So, I thought I'd see what you all like best :-)

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
bobbs7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need Recommendations RE heavy wetter that requires stay dry

I personally would stick with the PF's and flats with covers, but add a thin hemp doubler under the cotton! Pockets work fine for some, but some have compression leaks as well. GMD sells awesome hemp doublers! The cotton absorbs fast, while the hemp absorbs at a slower rate, so that's why it's good to put it underneath. The doublers would be a much cheaper route than a stash of new pockets or even possibly more absorbent cotton fitteds (which I would recommend before pockets Since you already use natural fibers, do you do a fleece liner since he needs stay dry?
'ing,'ing, part-time working out of the house, full-time in the house, mom-mom to Jackson Philip 11/28/09 , Levi Garrett 5/18/12 , and Aria Joye 4/16/14, and wife to my best friend and male clone Matthew since 10/6/06.

~forever thankful to have been saved by Grace~
bobbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
ashleyg103
Registered Users

Maybe bamboo flats or prefolds with a stay dry liner? Or diaper safari stay dry bamboo insert? I've never tried bamboo but seems like people say it's more absorbent than cotton. We only do padfolded flats or prefolds my twins are 16 months and some days I feel like I change them constantly but I would rather change more and have easy washing.
ashleyg103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My covers are flips. Where the moisture gets on the PUL that encases the elastic, he rashes up there too :-( Maybe I could stick with PF / flats if I switched to covers that are lined with fleece.

Also, DH is a SAHD and does most of the diapering, so I fear that doing a cover + PF / flat + liner is getting into the "too complicated" arena. DH would probably do it, but he won't be super careful about getting everything just right so that the liner covers everything.

By the time I buy new covers with fleece inners, doublers, and fleece liners, I don't think I'd be saving much over just buying some AI2s, and it would be more complicated, I think.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
gardenmama76
Registered Users
seller

Have you considered fitteds and wool? That's pretty much the answer for the heaviest of wetters. This has everything you need to know. Click on part one for info on different types of wool and where to buy it. http://themindfulhome.blogspot.com/2...-two-wool.html
gardenmama76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
MomBecks
Registered Users

Have you tried pockets? BGs stuffed with your prefolds + a hemp doubler may do the trick. And if they're prestuffed they'd be easy for your dh to change.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bg sock?
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
NewCDerInCO
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

some retailers offer a one-size pocket trial package. I think most of them include a BG, a fuzzibunz, a Rumparooz, etc.

if it were me, I would go with the pfs/flats you're already doing, maybe adding a doubler, and stuffing into a stay-dry pocket.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

I use a grovia bamboo prefold plus a joeys premium insert in a wool cover. Works awesome. Also a kissaluv fitted with a joeys premium under a wool cover is even better.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #10
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

Would a grovia Ai2 with the stay dry be absorbent enough? Seems like it would fit a thin kid well and is easy to use. Or the imagine stay dry ai2? I haven't tried either but I have tried the diaper safari inserts and they are quite absorbent! You could trifold them in grovia covers or even get Denise at nanas bottoms to make some covers and leave the backs open so you could use them like pockets when needed too!
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote