Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is bleach doing this to my diapers?

I have some BGOS that ds has been wearing at daycare for about 18 months, that get washed 1-2x a week. I've been using bleach in every load, with a bleach dispenser and not a lot of bleach. In the past few months I've noticed that certain colors look a little wrinkled coming out of the wash, and finally figured out that it's because the PUL feels much thinner than the PUL on my other diapers. Thinner even than on some diapers that I used on multiple kids but used no bleach on (don't fit ds yet + need elastic replaced). More recently, I noticed that the inside of the PUL on the ones that are wrinkled feels rough, and it seems like the waterproofing is wearing off. I noticed that it's worse at the top of the pocket where the pocket opens than at the front of the diaper. The diapers aren't leaking yet, and it seems to only be happening to certain colors. My non-daycare diapers are in a larger rotation so they wouldn't show wear as quickly. They're also TPU.

Is this from bleach or is it just that I've been unlucky with the PUL? I'm trying to figure out if I need to change my laundry routine, but I don't have time for anything complicated, so wearing out my diapers faster might just be a necessary evil.

Advertisement

Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Is bleach doing this to my diapers?

I would doubt it. I've been using bleach on the same BGOS 3.0 for about 6 years and they are fine, no leaks. I don't use it every wash but I certainly have used it regularly for years. We use them for nights since I know for a fact they won't leak. What is your wash routine?

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

For most of the time, I've washed on hot with tide or costco's generic tide and bleach in the bleach dispenser. I just started adding a rinse before the wash. I dry on hot for an hour, but I've always done that. My elastic and aplix are fine.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Micheliala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my initial thought was they are being dried too hot. I've had pul wrinkle like that with my old dryer that would overheat. try drying them on medium, it will be much better on the elastic too

Hyenacart, Babyshapes on Etsy
Micheliala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's not the bleach. You're drying it too high. Medium would work better.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

The wrinkling is not wrinkling from the laminate pulling away. I've seen that before when I had some PUL. This is just the fabric not holding its shape as well since it is so thin. I've had diapers that have seen lots more use, and they not been affected by the dryer. The elastics are also fine.