Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
jbaskc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy HELP w/ lactating (WAS: I'm siiiicccckkk)

I'm having a hard time here!

He's wanting the bottle more & more...I'm just sick about it! I can't afford to get any fenugreek or blessed thistle @ the HFS, I do have some MM tea (3 different kinds I've snagged from FFS), but they just don't seem to be helping enough. I'm drinking all the water I can hold, but I'm just soooo exhausted! I'm feeling much better (as far as the aches/chills/sore throat go), but I can't stand the thought of him weaning so early.

Are there other things I can try? I let him nurse every feeding, until he gets so po'ed that he won't any more & then I give him formula...once he's satisfied I let him nurse more (to try & stimulate milk)...I just don't know what more to do.

I have PCOS, too, and read that it could also affect milk production, I fought tooth & nail to build my milk up enough to EBF & now this...just a couple days & it's all for not...

PLEASE HELP!
Quote:
I have terrible strept throat, have had it since Tuesday & finally went to the ER last night. It started with achy pain all over & a mild sore throat on Tuesday.

Wednesday, I felt like crap all day & didn't even go to my dd's softball game that night, dh took the baby (first time he's been away from me!) That night (middle of the night) I woke up FREEZING (I'm NEVER cold, I have to have my feet uncovered to sleep & have to have a fan blowing on me.) I *knew* then that I had something. I had a 101* temp. & just figured it was sinus drainage, but my throat was worse.

Yesterday am when I got up to get the kids to school my fever was up to 102* & ended up as high as 103*. We only have 1 vehicle, so I couldn't have taken myself to the dr if I wanted to. I was MISERABLE! I was soooo weak I could hardly lift the baby. I laid around with him allllll day, waiting for dh to get here.

I finally had dh take me to the E.R. I had a 102.1* temp upon arrival (had taken ibuprofen & tylenol less that 4 hours prior). My throat was almost swollen shut...I had pus pockets allllll over the right tonsil. I got a shot in my left thigh of rocephin (sp), antibiotic & a script for Amoxicillin 875 mg 2x daily. I also have a sinus & ear infection on TOP of the dam strept.

My throat still hurts like hell today, & I can barely take my medicine, let alone drink enough water to make milk for ds...He's had at least 32 oz of formula in the past 4 days...I'm scared he's going to wean

I don't know what to do! I know I need to be drinking more, but man, it HURTS! I guess I just need to hear that it'll be ok...and that the meds are ok to take while he nurses. I'm also scared that he's going to get it...but my antibodiea should help him, right?

Thanks for reading this!

Advertisement

Last edited by jbaskc; 05-29-2007 at 01:32 PM.
jbaskc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
gringacely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm siiiicccckkk

Sorry mama! I also have an ear & sinus infection, so I can relate. I went to www.kellymom.com which has a lot of good info on it. One thing they recommended is the fenugunk (sp?) tea which is also good for milk production. I also got a little thing at the pharmacy called a 'sinus buddy'. Basically it is a little bean bag like thing that you throw in the microwave and then put on your face. It is the only thing helping me sleep at night. I couldn't really feel any difference after I started the amoxicillin.
gringacely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ohhh mama you sound like me and I'm sooo sorry

I had strep a month ago, fever of 104 and dh also took me to the ER. I suffered through it did my 10 day round of antibiotics and it came back on Monday. I hate pain though. Monday it hurt slightly. Monday night I woke up at 2 am becaues my throat hurt so bad, so I went to the urgent care clinic right when they opened at 7 am. I'm now on ANOTHER round of antibiotics. My milk-supply has also suffered. I'm just trying not to stress about it, I'll try to handle it after I get over this and am making sure to stay hydrated.

I hope you feel better. Have you lost your voice? I have, and I have some sort of respitory infection... it hurts a bit to breathe and I've been coughing up god knows what. And to boot, AF came today

I will wallow in sickness with you

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:28 PM   #4
haynmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get strep throat quite often and all I can say is finish the antibiotics. I hate having it! Poor mama, drink lots of tea and liquids. Throat lozenges really help, too. Take care!

haynmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
jbaskc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

jbaskc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP w/ lactating (WAS: I'm siiiicccckkk)

how long have you been supplementing? and how often? your milk supply is pretty much set by the third week of nursing, your supply can go down after that, but very rarely does it go back up.

have you considered renting a pump? the medela lactina is a good one. i dont know that it will help...but its worth a try.

i suspect that you might have a latch or positioning problem as well. usually baby wont get irritated at the breast with a lack of milk right away...only after theyve emptied both breasts. have you contacted a local clc or ibclc?

how frustrating...i know how you feel.

Last edited by rlsadc; 05-29-2007 at 02:53 PM.
rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote