Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:
Car seats...

Infant or convertible and why?

I am not planning on using the infant seat much as I plan to baby wear and not going to get one of those that goes into a stroller either. They are also heavy to cart around and I really dont want to be carrying the thing.. However, I was thinking about the occasions where the baby falls asleep in the car seat...it seems I would not want to wake the baby so it would be best to take out the whole seat..which you can only do with an infant... For those that say they want a convertible this time around what did you do in this situation?

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
The*Fab*Four
Mama behind Jem*Jam Customs!
Formerly: Jem*Jam Customs
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Car seats...

We have always done an infant carrier and it has worked well for us.
J{4.04}, J{11.05}, J {8.09}, J {3.11}
Sweet Baby Girl J will arrive the week of May 12th {34w} due to a Placenta Percreta.
The*Fab*Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I use a convertible and have gotten really good at getting Ds out of the seat without waking him. In the early months I sometimes wished I had a bucket seat so I could get him out when asleep.
I just make sure I have my boba on then take him out and put him on my chest. Then I pull the carrier up and bounce him gently while I get up. Usually stays asleep or if he wakes a bit the bouncing puts him back asleep.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
sparksmomma
Registered Users
seller

I am asking myself the same question. I need to get the infant seat we have out and check the expiration date. If its still good I will probably use that the first month or so and then buy a convertible. As of right now we are going to be moving cross country in August so I want something comfortable for the new babe, and I think a convertible would be more comfortable.
sparksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
lisha622
Registered Users
seller

I debated FOREVER before having my first baby a couple of years ago whether to get a True Fit (which is a convertible like a bucket but has no handle so you can't carry it like a bucket) or to just get a traditional bucket. In the end I got a bucket. I was really glad I did. I thought I would baby wear wayyy more than I do. But, then, I'm not your traditional "crunchy" mom either, tbh. I love cloth diapering, so I thought I would do a lot more other crunchy things, but I'm really an "in between mom" ... it's worked out well for us Anyyywayyys, babies fall asleep in their carseats a lot (or at least mine have... I also have them sleep in cribs from a young age, though, so they're used to not sleeping on me), and I'm always so thankful that I can go places and they can stay asleep without me having to wake them up to get them out. I just transfer the seat to a cart or a stroller (or my husband) and then I don't have to carry the big thing around. I have a blanket car seat cover that snaps to the handle that I LOVE... my baby would stay asleep in the seat forever because it was dark

So, my vote is that infant bucket seats are SO worth it... BUT it does somewhat depend what type of mom you end up being and how much you plan to go out with your little one and other things, and some of those things you can guess what you think you'll do and if you're like me, some of those things you won't know until you have the baby in your arms. (haha, how about that for a helpful answer )
Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
lisha622
Registered Users
seller

double post

Last edited by lisha622; 11-06-2013 at 01:29 PM.
lisha622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have used a bucket seat for each child and loved it. Here it gets crazy cold in the winter, and I am always glad I don't have to take them out of their warm seat to get into a baby carrier of some sort at -30. That is cold enough to wake anyone for a long time.

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsgreen
I have used a bucket seat for each child and loved it. Here it gets crazy cold in the winter, and I am always glad I don't have to take them out of their warm seat to get into a baby carrier of some sort at -30. That is cold enough to wake anyone for a long time.
Negative 30?! Omg no thanks lol
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
sarahtee
Registered Users
seller

I liked having an infant car seat for two reasons:

1) if baby falls asleep in car, you do not have to wake them to put them in a carrier. When they are newborns this will be 90% of the time IME. If going grocery shopping I would put them in a carrier but going to play group or to visit friends it is nicer for them to stay asleep in the seat for a bit.

2) you can bring the seat inside and load baby in the house. In June the weather won't be cold but this is extra handy if it's raining/have other kids/etc

I used the infant seat for a few months before switching to a convertible, ill do the same this time. DS was also a small baby and I felt that he fit better in an infant seat than a convertible. It was better reclined as well.
sarahtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a bucket seat and used it & loved it. I do babywear also. I just like having the option. If we are running into the store for a quick 5 mins then I would take the bucket in. Or if baby was sleeping. If baby was awake or we would be in the store/mall or wherever we went for a while I would put baby in the stroller (not in bucket) & bring moby or ergo with me.

It was always nice too if something came up & baby was due for a nap I could leave the house no prob because she could sleep in the bucket. If you do get a bucket be sure I get a car seat canopy from carseatcanopy.com they are free but $10 for shipping & it is nice!!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote