Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
ebay question--buyer requesting refund

I sold a pair of diapers on ebay. They had thorough images, when asked specific questions about the diapers I explained honestly that everything is in working order and the elastic is slightly relaxed.
The buyer received them and says they don't fit her baby and wants a refund. She says she has the same brand of diapers and the ones purchased do not work.
When i sent them there was plenty of spring in the elastic it just wasn't new-tight. I have my listings set to no refunds/exchanges.

What will ebay do if I have it set to no refunds an she files a dispute?

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: ebay question--buyer requesting refund

The buyer has protection regardless of your disclaimer. They will probably file with ebay and get a refund, if ebay does not think your at fault, they will refund the buyer w.o taking the money back from you.
Also if they do this, the buyer doesn't even have to send the diapers back to you which is nuts.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
expaik
Registered Users
seller

I don't necessarily agree with PP. The buyer only gets protection if the item wasn't as described.

When the buyer says they "don't fit her baby", is that her exact words? Or did she say "elastic is shot" or "elastic is too relaxed to fit the baby"?

Ask her for a photo comparison of yours next to the ones she has, which illustrate her point.

And if you ever get a buyer who wants to return something for whatever reason, I recommend giving in without a fight. Just tell them pleasantly that you are sorry the item didn't work out and will make an exception to your no-returns rule because you value your buyers and want them to be happy. Then add that you will refund them the full item price minus your original shipping costs, once they have shipped it back to you, per Ebay policy.

If they raise a fuss about having to pay original shipping or return shipping costs (which is the tricky part), explain that you honestly feel you described the item accurately and ask them politely to point out specifically if they disagree. Tell them that you wish you could cover their shipping costs but because you're already out the Ebay and paypal fees for this return, you can't afford to take a bigger loss.

If the buyer still seems unhappy you can offer options. Maybe a small partial refund and she keeps the item (often this mollifies buyers and reduces your own loss on the transaction). Or offer to send something extra, from among your items. Or offer an exchange.

And if all else fails, you need to weigh whether you would rather stand your ground and risk a negative feedback, or give in for the sake of protecting your score. Remember that Ebay can remove negative feedback if the buyer ever made threats at any point involving feedback manipulation ("I'll leave you negative if you don't do such-and-such".)

Sorry you're dealing with this.

Last edited by expaik; 11-26-2013 at 06:04 AM.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They already left me positive feedback which is quite confusing.

Exact words were "My baby wears the same brand on the middle rise setting with 3 waist snaps showing, the purchased don't fit at the tightest settings" which simply can not be, my daughter was wearing them without closing any rise snaps before I decided to sell.

I guess I'll ask for a compairson photo, that sounds like a good idea.