Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
mommypooh
Registered Users

Potty Learning is it too early?

I have a DS who will be 17 months soon, he tells me he needs changed and most of the time he hasn't gone yet so if I take him to the potty he will go. He has been spending all day outside in swimming trunks with no diaper and will use the little potty I put out for DD. He wakes up dry in the morning, and after nap,

Should I go forward with training him or should i just wait.

Advertisement

mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty Learning is it too early?

I guess it depends on what you mean by going forward with training him? Sounds like he's doing great...I would definitely try to encourage him, without pressuring...kwim? DJ started around that age but eventually lost interest so now he takes it by spells. He'll go for a few days staying completely dry and telling me when it's time to go, and then he'll go for a few days where he "forgets" or gets mad if I suggest that he go. Everybody keeps telling me that when the new baby gets here he'll regress so I've just been kind of rolling with it for now. I make sure I give him plenty of opportunities to use the potty and praise him when he does, but if he's not "into it", I don't fight with him or push him at all. Good luck!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
mommypooh
Registered Users

well as in going forward I would do underwear more, and move the potty back to the living room, and sit him on it more. I would encourage him to go when we are out and carry a potty seat with me. I just don't wnat a real long drawn out potty learning time as I had my DD done in 3 days I also don't wnat to start and him totally not want to and run the other way. I just want to follow him but I do a lot during the day and I don't always catch when he tells me he needs his diaper off so I would rather teach him with underwear so he can do it himself.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That makes sense...actually both sides of it make sense!

I always feel really bad when DJ asks to go to the potty and we're in a situation where I just can't get him there fast enough. He does it at night too (we cosleep)...he'll wake up 15 times asking to go to the potty and just sit there and play but the one time he asks and I don't take him, he really did have to go.

I would say go ahead and encourage him to move forward. If he starts resisting, then you can back off and wait a while, but if he's ready, you might as well let him! We use cloth trainers a lot instead of diapers because he can pull them up and down himself (he's just getting there...usually he gets either the front or the back up but not both! ) but it's less mess if he does miss. I've got the Gerber trainers which were pretty cheap. Someone posted a link in Diaper Chatter the other day to Dappi trainers that were something like $.99 each! If you want to do real underwear, I like the Gerber training pants that are not waterproof. They're absorbent enough that you won't wind up with a puddle in the floor, but they're all cloth so they really feel like underwear and they will soak the clothes if he doesn't make it. Maybe we'd have more success if I used those all the time but when DJ's in "those" moods, he doesn't seem to mind being wet so I just wind up making myself miserable. Good luck...
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

wow that is awesome girl
he soo young!!!
uhmm no advice it hink you doing good.
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

Audrianna has been using the big people potty since 13 1/3 months so i say go for it she refuses to poopy in her diaper and tells us poo and grabs her bum. she cant walk or sit so we have to bring her to the potty she goes even when she doesnt need to liek if i am using the potty i will sit her on it after and she will pee in the toilet sometimes even poop. our therapists said thats the youngest they have heard of using the potty we were told not to get her a potty yet because with her cp she will get frusterated that she cant get on it by herself. But they do encourage her using the big potty
Old 06-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
islandmama
Registered Users

I don't think it's too early. 2 of mine started at 14 mos and 16 mos. The others were about 18 mos. I'd say go for it!